Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

And if you think the "riots" were unprovoked

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM
  • 213 Replies
1 mom liked this
Police Officer Caught On Video Calling Michael Brown Protesters 'F***ing Animals'

The tension in a St. Louis suburb following the shooting of an unarmed African-American teenager by a police officer was thrown into stark relief Sunday night in a video captured by CNN of a police officer yelling a derogatory phrase at protesters.

"Bring it, all you fucking animals! Bring it!" the officer said in the exchange.

Does this attitude of the officer change or influence how you read the reaction of people?

Was he justified to use this language?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5672163

by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:28 AM
3 moms liked this

it depends with me.  If someone is chanting PIG PIG PIG PIG and throwing stones at me....then yes the language is understandable.  People get pissed off, cops are no different.

If the protesters are sitting holding signs and peacefully protesting....then fuck no.

I couldnt work out where he was standing because the video was chopping and changing too much.

Provocation can cause more problems no matter what side its coming from.   The problem I have with this whole scenario is more about the power after the provocation....the police have all the power whereas the citizens have none or very little.

angelizedsinz
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:32 AM
11 moms liked this
I don't understand how looting and rioting is going to help. When it's all over, it's their city they're trashing. Their tax dollars will have to be spent cleaning it up. I agree changes need to be made, but it won't happen like this.
mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:57 AM
7 moms liked this
His job ...and those "animals" pay his salary...is to keep the peace. If you can't handle it, find another profession.

Quoting turtle68:

it depends with me.  If someone is chanting PIG PIG PIG PIG and throwing stones at me....then yes the language is understandable.  People get pissed off, cops are no different.

If the protesters are sitting holding signs and peacefully protesting....then fuck no.

I couldnt work out where he was standing because the video was chopping and changing too much.

Provocation can cause more problems no matter what side its coming from.   The problem I have with this whole scenario is more about the power after the provocation....the police have all the power whereas the citizens have none or very little.

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:01 AM
5 moms liked this
Did you miss that the next morning the people of Ferguson were working together to clean up the mess? There will always be opportunists, and typically hey could give two shits about the actual "cause."

It happened in Seattle (WTO) ...and sadly the media focused in on that instead of the mass solidarity. Heck with. Trayvon there was no looting or rioting but the media kept stoking that fire of "when" it happens and the spooky scary Black Panthers (of which there are a handful the have zero power in our community)...

See what is really happening. The looting is nuts but I see them for what they are. I also see a community of people that are dedicated to justice ...not animals.

Quoting angelizedsinz: I don't understand how looting and rioting is going to help. When it's all over, it's their city they're trashing. Their tax dollars will have to be spent cleaning it up. I agree changes need to be made, but it won't happen like this.
angelizedsinz
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:35 AM
3 moms liked this
Seriously, calm the hell down. Jeez. I really don't understand your point. The looting and rioting is hurting the city. There are better ways to protest.

Quoting mommajen32: Did you miss that the next morning the people of Ferguson were working together to clean up the mess? There will always be opportunists, and typically hey could give two shits about the actual "cause."

It happened in Seattle (WTO) ...and sadly the media focused in on that instead of the mass solidarity. Heck with. Trayvon there was no looting or rioting but the media kept stoking that fire of "when" it happens and the spooky scary Black Panthers (of which there are a handful the have zero power in our community)...

See what is really happening. The looting is nuts but I see them for what they are. I also see a community of people that are dedicated to justice ...not animals.

Quoting angelizedsinz: I don't understand how looting and rioting is going to help. When it's all over, it's their city they're trashing. Their tax dollars will have to be spent cleaning it up. I agree changes need to be made, but it won't happen like this.
mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:55 AM
4 moms liked this
The point..there will always be opportunists that steal during civil actions/demonstrations. They are typically not part of the actual movement just people trying to make a buck and steal shit. Their intention isn't to make things better.

Separate that from the people that actually are part of the movement. The people that were cleaning up. The second group has no power to control the first. Nor should the first represent the second.

The media in the Trayvon situation kept talking about the looting and rioting that was going to happen...oh and if Z wasn't convicted the town would burn to the ground. Didn't happen. But that was the buzz.

It's the way people who are actually the protesters are characterized and affiliated...and the narrative. We won't see all of the community forums, speakers, artsy demonstrations, ...the media will show those that destroy.

Same thing happened in Seattle

Sorry that wasn't clear the first time.

Quoting angelizedsinz: Seriously, calm the hell down. Jeez. I really don't understand your point. The looting and rioting is hurting the city. There are better ways to protest.

Quoting mommajen32: Did you miss that the next morning the people of Ferguson were working together to clean up the mess? There will always be opportunists, and typically hey could give two shits about the actual "cause."

HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:59 AM
5 moms liked this
I don't think damaging and stealing the property of your fellow citizens is ever justifiable. It's like saying it's ok to hurt you because she hurt me. It makes no sense and is counter productive.
angelizedsinz
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:04 AM
The media will never cover everything. They get more ratings and money by covering the controversial things because society in general seems to love drama. The fact that communities can't unite to make a difference is sad. Their time and efforts could've been spent in better ways than cleaning up.

Quoting mommajen32: The point..there will always be opportunists that steal during civil actions/demonstrations. They are typically not part of the actual movement just people trying to make a buck and steal shit. Their intention isn't to make things better.

Separate that from the people that actually are part of the movement. The people that were cleaning up. The second group has no power to control the first. Nor should the first represent the second.

The media in the Trayvon situation kept talking about the looting and rioting that was going to happen...oh and if Z wasn't convicted the town would burn to the ground. Didn't happen. But that was the buzz.

It's the way people who are actually the protesters are characterized and affiliated...and the narrative. We won't see all of the community forums, speakers, artsy demonstrations, ...the media will show those that destroy.

Same thing happened in Seattle

Sorry that wasn't clear the first time.

Quoting angelizedsinz: Seriously, calm the hell down. Jeez. I really don't understand your point. The looting and rioting is hurting the city. There are better ways to protest.

paknari
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:08 AM
4 moms liked this
Lol the ones who were looting and breaking things were animals. It's no different than calling a cop a pig.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you, I am just answering your question honestly.  People have breaking points in ANY job.

I call it the "past your best by date"  you go bad once you past that point, time to throw you out.

Unfortunately and I have said it time and time again.....too many go into the police department because of the power it makes them feel...not to help people, but more because they can kick them.  They are already rotten.  Not all...but too damn many and I would say conservatively it would err on the side of majority than minority....because its also a career that is rife with nepotism, so the feeling of superiority is bred into them.

Quoting mommajen32: His job ...and those "animals" pay his salary...is to keep the peace. If you can't handle it, find another profession.
Quoting turtle68:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)