Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New Question: What was justifiable?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM
  • 221 Replies

Okay.  All the anger, hearsay, etc. aside.  THere are too many different conversations going on.  And one question is still standing out to me.

In what scenario, was this shooting justified?  I am not being glib or provoking a certian response.

I am genuinely curious as to others opinions.

I admit..I come from a family and neighborhood filled with police officers. I am biased to an extent. That is why I want to wait until all evidence is out. I am not going to assume anything at this point (at least I am trying hard not to).  On the flip side, I live in a major city and I have seen the effects of ineffective policing and how it can affect a community.  I have also seen some great comunity/police relationships in various neighborhoods. So, I know it can happen.

But, no matter how I try to imagine all the circumstances around this shooting I am not seeing under what circumstances this shooting could be justified.

Thoughts?

by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM
4 moms liked this

As the law states...(ad lib)....If you are in fear of your life or there is an imminent threat to society you are allow to use deadly force.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok.  If that is the case, why 8 bullets when he was unarmed? I am not being snarky. I am truly interested.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

As the law states...(ad lib)....If you are in fear of your life or there is an imminent threat to society you are allow to use deadly force.

HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM
This

Quoting pvtjokerus:

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM
8 moms liked this

Since we don't have access to the same information as investigators, how about we let them do their job.  

I have talked to a retired FBI trainer and he has said that POST (Police Officer Standard and Training), in the past has been when an officer uses their weapon it is to shoot to kill.  Not shoot to wound.  That being said, he retired 10 years ago and wasn't sure current practice.

What is NOT justifiable?  

Rushing to accuse racism.  

Refusing to consider Brown's behavior up to the shooting.

Rioting and destroying the community and businesses.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

That is why there is an ongoing investigation.

Unarmed doesn't mean he didn't try to get the officers weapon, wasn't dangerous, posing a threat to others, or didn't commit other crime(s). 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Ok.  If that is the case, why 8 bullets when he was unarmed? I am not being snarky. I am truly interested.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

tiffyhamm
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM
9 moms liked this

I cannot see how you can shoot an unarmed person eight times, I just can't.  Even if they were coming at you, after the first shot or two, you pretty much did them in.  They have no weapon, what are they going to harm you with after having taken a bullet or two?  Their fingernails?  I can't see just popping off round after round into someone with no weapon.  

I have no scenario that I can offer that this shooting would be justified, but I'm sure someone is gonna give ya something.  

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM
3 moms liked this

It depends on what the full investigation says. That many shots is a lot and seems excessive, however Brown was a big dude. And, like a PP pointed out in a different thread, we're still waiting on the toxicolgy report. Was he on something? If he was, and was indeed charging at the cop, maybe those many shots were needed to finally bring him down.

I'm not saying that this is what happened. I'm just answering the question - it depends on the full investigation. There are still a lot of holes. There are 2 very different sides to the story.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Quoting jcrew6:

Since we don't have access to the same information as investigators, how about we let them do their job. We have been discussing this for days. I am not sure what is wrong with my post. I am not hindering the investigation. 

I have talked to a retired FBI trainer and he has said that POST (Police Officer Standard and Training), in the past has been when an officer uses their weapon it is to shoot to kill.  Not shoot to wound. While I understand, do you really believe it took 8 shots? If that is the rule, it needs to be changed. If he shot him once and he was down, why keep shooting? That being said, he retired 10 years ago and wasn't sure current practice.

What is NOT justifiable?  

Rushing to accuse racism.  Agreed.

Refusing to consider Brown's behavior up to the shooting. Agreed but he was not armed.

Rioting and destroying the community and businesses.I've said from the beginning there is no excuse for this,

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

When I first heard this story, I thought that myself. If he is going for the cops gun, well than. However, he obviously did not have the officers gun.

Quoting jcrew6:

That is why there is an ongoing investigation.

Unarmed doesn't mean he didn't try to get the officers weapon, wasn't dangerous, posing a threat to others, or didn't commit other crime(s). 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

When you are in a fight or flight situation many times you do not realize how many times you pull the trigger.  It has been proven over and over again that those that have pulled the trigger think that they pulled it only a few times when in reality they have pulled the trigger multiple times.  The brain sometimes does not allow the person to remember until after the fact.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN