Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

90% of white people will never come in personal contact with a person of color *ETA to include map of all minorities*

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:03 PM
  • 468 Replies
2 moms liked this

I wrote that in one of my old posts resurrected by my dear friend and I'm surprised, looking back, that people found it difficult to believe so I'm posting a map of where the black people live in this country.  Keep in mind this is by COUNTY.  That means there are even fewer black people in certain states than this map would seem to indicate.  

By my count, there's at least 11 states that virtually have no black people.

You can find this and other demographic maps here.

I thought some of you might be interested.

ETA:  I would LOVE to research all your cities, counties and states for you but I can't.  I CAN provide you a link to quick facts at the census bureau.  Have fun!

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html#

ETA:  I had a request for a map showing ALL the minorities in the USA and I believe it's fair.  Of course, it can't really show ALL minority races and it looks deceptively as if there's lots of minorities in the US and 36% of the people ARE minorities but the majority of our numbers live in major cities while the rest of the people in these states don't get exposed to any people other than white people.  It's a fascinating map.  Thanks for the suggestion, Arrowee.

by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:07 PM
6 moms liked this

Lol wtf is going on in this group today?!

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM
34 moms liked this

this is utter bullshit - you would have to live under a rock to not come in contact with someone of another race.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow. I was not doubting you, I just found the facts unbelievable. Still do. I can't imagine living in such a world.  Lord knows it's not Florida!! LOL Thanks for the Extra!

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM

When is this map from?

The other thing I wonder about is if it takes into account those in the military. I can't see anything in ND, but I personally have come into contact with black people in ND, mostly from Minot AFB.

luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol that is utter bullshit. I grew up in Alaska and there's a lot more black people than that there.
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Your count would be a bit off.  I live in one of those states with a very small population of AA's and I run into at least 2 every single day

snowball01201
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

LMFAO This map is so wrong it's funny!

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Apparently hispanics don't apply?

Lol
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Yellow is up to 5.3% on this map so even the entirely yellow states may have some blacks in them.  What I find interesting is that for my state, Iowa; the most populous city, Des Moines (in Polk County), is shown as yellow, yet had an 8% black population as of 2010, according to this site:  IDcide .  

Still, I had not had significant contact with a person of color until I left home for the Army.  Even though we lived in several states throughout my youth, I can only recall one town where I went to school with and made friends with black kids because we didn't live in diverse areas.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Philly...so it is hard for me to imagine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)