Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Don’t be alarmed if you see that you have an opossum living in your yard.

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM
  • 41 Replies
Don’t be alarmed if you see that you have an opossum living in your yard. A friend of organic gardening, they can be quite handy. Opossums eat garden pests such as slugs and rodents and are also great for tick control. GOT SLUGS? Don't shoo away that opossum. Opossums may not be right for everyone... If you find that they have taken up residence under your house, you can easily sway them out to find a hole to burrow in by placing wadded up paper in the area where they have entered. Keep a close eye out for when they come out by knocking the paper over and board up the area. For a barn or other out building, poke holes in a coffee can and place rags saturated in ammonia in the can and put the lid on it. They hate the smell of ammonia and will not return to that space. You won’t want to place the can of ammonia soaked rags under your house or you may be as offended by the odor as they are.

READ: http://www.littlebitofgreen.com/opossums-and-organic-gardening/
#GotSlugsGetAnOpossum #organic #organicgarden #slugs #pestcontrol #ticks #HeckNoGMO #BoycottGMOs #BanGMOs #GMOFreeCanada #GMOFreeUSA
— with Voces Multifónicas.

Photo: Don’t be alarmed if you see that you have an opossum living in your yard. A friend of organic gardening, they can be quite handy. Opossums eat garden pests such as slugs and rodents and are also great for tick control. GOT SLUGS? Don't shoo away that opossum. Opossums may not be right for everyone... If you find that they have taken up residence under your house, you can easily sway them out to find a hole to burrow in by placing wadded up paper in the area where they have entered. Keep a close eye out for when they come out by knocking the paper over and board up the area. For a barn or other out building, poke holes in a coffee can and place rags saturated in ammonia in the can and put the lid on it. They hate the smell of ammonia and will not return to that space. You won’t want to place the can of ammonia soaked rags under your house or you may be as offended by the odor as they are. 
READ: http://www.littlebitofgreen.com/opossums-and-organic-gardening/
#GotSlugsGetAnOpossum #organic #organicgarden #slugs #pestcontrol #ticks #HeckNoGMO #BoycottGMOs #BanGMOs #GMOFreeCanada #GMOFreeUSA

by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kadcas
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Lol
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM

No thanks. 

sj2014
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmmm.....do they eat gophers???

:0)

I would take an opossum over the enormous skunk that currently rules my yard
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM

We have a Basenji. (Basically an African Dingo)  They are GREAT and taking care of yard varmints.  We don't have slugs, but we do have a nice garden going... 

Quoting sj2014: Hmmmm.....do they eat gophers??? :0) I would take an opossum over the enormous skunk that currently rules my yard

TappyToes
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Do be araid if you see them wandering around in daytime.  They are nocturnal and if they hang out in day light, they may be rabid.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM
They wouldn't last long in my yard. The dog has already killed a snake this month, and put the run on a big old tomcat. Plus he scared the crap out of some nice, young, religious fellows who came to the door today, he's got a very big bark.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Quoting TappyToes:

Do be araid if you see them wandering around in daytime.  They are nocturnal and if they hang out in day light, they may be rabid.

I rather have slug's and ugly grass . These things scare me. I saw one, one time in my yard and for the longest time after I looked for it every time I walked out of the house scared I would scare it and be bitten.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I have Opossums, coons, snakes, gophers, mice and fire ants in my yard. As well as Rabbits, Deer, turtles, and other random creatures and I live in a fairly populated area.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM
3 moms liked this
I really like them. In my rescuer-moments, opossums were some of my best stories.
tiffyhamm
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM
They are friggin creepy looking. I wouldnt harm them but they have got to be far away from me and my residence.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN