Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Stabbing a One Year Old?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM
  • 9 Replies

Connecticut man charged in fatal stabbing of 1-year-old niece

bristolconnstabbing.jpg

This booking photo released by the Bristol, Conn., Police Department shows Arthur Hapgood, of Waterbury, Conn., arrested and charged with murder in the fatal stabbing of his 1-year-old niece Zaniyah Calloway while baby-sitting for her Monday evening, Aug. 18, 2014 in Bristol. (AP/Bristol Police Department)

A Connecticut man has been charged with murder in the fatal stabbing of his 1-year-old niece while babysitting.

Authorities responded to a home in Bristol shortly before 7:30 p.m. Monday and encountered a resident running toward them carrying a child with a severe laceration to her stomach. Officers performed CPR on the girl, who later died at a hospital.

Police say the girl was Zaniyah Calloway. An 11-year-old child also was in the home but wasn't injured.

The girl's uncle, 36-year-old Arthur Hapgood, of Waterbury, is being held on $1.5 million bail on charges including murder, reckless endangerment and risk of injury to a child. He's expected to be arraigned Tuesday in Bristol Superior Court. It's not clear if he has a lawyer.

The motive for the slashing isn't clear.

by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Nice_Dragon
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Peace be with that poor baby .
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM

His own Niece.  Mind Boggling...

angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM
We are seeing so many of these crimes on children, its heartbreaking. I read a story last night about a child who had his eyes bitten out by his father. Not even animals act like this.
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:38 AM

WTF !!!

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM

OMG!

Have to wonder, is it because we have a 24 hour news, instant info society.  Or are these incidents increasing? 

Quoting angelaicky: We are seeing so many of these crimes on children, its heartbreaking. I read a story last night about a child who had his eyes bitten out by his father. Not even animals act like this.

nb34
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM

What was he on?

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Animals eat thier babies and the babies of other animals all the time.

Quoting angelaicky: We are seeing so many of these crimes on children, its heartbreaking. I read a story last night about a child who had his eyes bitten out by his father. Not even animals act like this.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Quoting nb34:

What was he on?

My first thought too.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Okay, I'm going back to Mike Brown stories.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN