Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teens attack Park Ranger

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM
  • 20 Replies

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/19/two-arrested-charged-in-taped-beating-philadelphia-park-ranger/

Philadelphia Police say they have arrested two people in connection with the beating of a city park ranger that was caught on tape by an onlooker. 

Authorities said 19-year-old Curtis Tanner, of Pottstown, Pa., and an unidentified 17-year-old face charges of aggravated assault, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person and making terroristic threats in connection with the beating that took place Friday at the city's Love Park. 

Police allege that Tanner was the one who punched, kicked, and spit on the ranger after he told a group of young people to stop skateboarding in the park. The park used to be a skateboarding mecca and was even featured in a video game. However, in 2000, the city passed an ordinance banning the activity on public property, including in Love Park, unless otherwise authorized. 

"They shouldn't be skateboarding there," Philadlephia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsay said. "The city built a skateboard park there right off of Kelly Drive ... When you're told to stop and leave, stop and leave."

Video of the assault shot by a park visitor from New Jersey was posted on YouTube and resulted in hundreds of tips for detectives. Police said they are still looking for a third suspect who also recorded the incident. That footage has not yet surfaced. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report

by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:52 AM
4 moms liked this

I don't understand this basic and instant disrespect for authority figures and rules.  Or even adults.  Pushing adults, robbing and being disrespectful, disregarding those in any sort of authority and then finally, assaulting them.

I don't get it

furbabymum
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm reading a book right now, "Boundaries for kids". It's not completely the parents fault but mostly it is. They don't teach them it. 

Quoting snookyfritz:

I don't understand this basic and instant disrespect for authority figures and rules.  Or even adults.  Pushing adults, robbing and being disrespectful, disregarding those in any sort of authority and then finally, assaulting them.

I don't get it

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM

This makes sense.  Kids have to be taught authority and it starts in the home.

Quoting furbabymum:

I'm reading a book right now, "Boundaries for kids". It's not completely the parents fault but mostly it is. They don't teach them it. 

Quoting snookyfritz:

I don't get it

furbabymum
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this

The author says kids aren't born with the capacity to be grown ups. They need external guidance to help them internalize the basic tenants of life. Respect and boundaries. I see these wild kids with parents who claim to be in control but clearly aren't all the time. Anyway, my DS is 3 and I decided to figure out what I can do to help guide him the right way. Everyone should read these books. They are incredible!

Quoting numbr1wmn:

This makes sense.  Kids have to be taught authority and it starts in the home.

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting snookyfritz:

I don't get it

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I have always been a boundary pusher.  As a kid I could be defiant, but it would never, ever occur to me to physically assault an adult in a position of authority.  

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Me neither, but I am guessing you were raised in a semi "normal" household.

Making this a post about 'these kids today'..may not be accurate...depending on the specific environment these teens were raised in.

I hope they were not raised in an 'average' home...that would speak to kids today

Quoting snookyfritz:

I have always been a boundary pusher.  As a kid I could be defiant, but it would never, ever occur to me to physically assault an adult in a position of authority.  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

We have kids who are taught that they ONLY have to listen to momma...everytime they get in trouble (esp at school) they have momma bear rushing in, angry at everyone else except their child. They make excuses and get defensive. Teachers have pretty much all authority taken away, and parents teach that everyone is suspect, and out to get you. We've lost a sense of community, traded for inflated self-esteem and a false sense of importance in our children. Its almost like we don't want anyone to have authority over our children except for ourselves, and this is how that comes out.

*edited to add* With this other story about the cop shooting the young man, the blowing up of this story (while serving to bring this horrible situation to the public eye) will be used to reinforce to so many people that cops are bad and not to be trusted. I expect to see a lot more events like the one in the OP....which will create a viscious cycle, unfortunately.

~Parenting is not a Competitive Sport~
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM

This is becoming a trend.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Making this a post about 'these kids today'..may not be accurate...depending on the specific environment these teens were raised in.

I hope they were not raised in an 'average' home...that would speak to kids today

Quoting snookyfritz:

finnbar
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Sheesh. Those "kids" deserve to be horsewhipped in a public place.
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

That being the norm, is what scares me.  I don't think it affects most kids, but I do think the line drawn in the sand is more easily crossed with this generation of kids

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting snookyfritz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN