Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hamas admits to kidnapping

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:25 AM
  • 32 Replies

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/hamas-admits-kidnapping-israeli-teens/2014/08/21/6e70b51e-2957-11e4-8b10-7db129976abb_story.html

JERUSALEM — A senior Hamas leader has said the group carried out the kidnapping and killing of three Israeli teens in the West Bank in June — the first time anyone from the Islamic militant group has said it was behind an attack that helped spark the current war in the Gaza Strip.

Saleh Arouri told a conference in Turkey on Wednesday that Hamas’s military wing, the al-Qassam Brigades, carried out what he described as a “heroic operation” with the broader goal of sparking a new Palestinian uprising.

“It was an operation by your brothers from the al-Qassam Brigades,” he said, saying Hamas hoped to exchange the youths for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.

Hamas has repeatedly praised the kidnappings, but Arouri, the group’s exiled West Bank leader, is the first member to claim responsibility. Israel has accused Hamas of orchestrating the kidnappings and identified two operatives as the chief suspects. The two men remain on the loose.

Israel says it carried out 20 airstrikes in Gaza on Friday, targeting rocket launchers and weapons sites. It says Gaza militants fired two rockets at Israel. (AP)

Arouri’s admission shows “Hamas has no qualms whatsoever about targeting innocent civilians,” said Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev.

The kidnappings of the three teens while they were hitchhiking on June 12, along with the discovery of their bodies two weeks later, sparked a broad Israeli crackdown on Hamas members throughout the West Bank. Hamas responded with heavy rocket fire out of the Gaza Strip, leading Israel to launch an aerial and ground invasion of the territory.

More than 2,000 Palestinians, most of them civilians, have been killed in the fighting, according to Palestinian and U.N. officials, while 67 Israelis have also been killed, all but three of them soldiers. An Egyptian effort to mediate a cease-fire collapsed this week, leading to a resumption of heavy fighting.

Arouri told the conference that Hamas “did not have the intention at this time to ignite a large battle.” He said his group did not believe Israel wanted a war either. “But Allah has chosen and willed that a large battle would be ignited,” he said.

Arouri is one of Hamas’ most senior figures. He founded Hamas’ military wing in the West Bank two decades ago and now commands the group’s operations in the area from exile in Turkey. He was deported several years ago in a deal that freed him from Israeli prison.

Earlier this week, Israel identified Arouri as the mastermind of an alleged plot to launch an uprising in the West Bank aimed at toppling Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

___

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:14 AM

"Saleh al-Arouri, one of the founders of Hamas's military wing, made his comments at a conference in Istanbul, where he lives in exile. A tape of his comments was posted online by conference organisers.

"There was much speculation about this operation; some said it was a conspiracy," al-Arouri said at a meeting of the International Union of Islamic Scholars on Wednesday.

"The popular will was exercised throughout our occupied land, and culminated in the heroic operation by [Hamas's armed wing] the Qassam Brigades in imprisoning the three settlers in Hebron."

His claim has not been supported by any other member of Hamas.

It is the first time that any senior Hamas figure has linked the group to the abduction of Eyal Yifrah, 19, Gilad Shaar, 16, and Naftali Frenkel, 16, whose kidnapping and murder led to a spiral of violence that gripped Israel and the West Bank and culminated in the current war in Gaza, which has so far left more than 2,000 Palestinians and 64 Israeli soldiers dead, as well as two Israeli civilians and a Thai migrant worker.

Israel has always maintained that Hamas was behind the abduction, and launched a massive operation in the West Bank against the group in June and July, during which dozens of members were arrested. Hamas has so far refused to confirm or deny its involvement, and a spokesman could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

Al-Arouri's role in Hamas dates back to the 1990s, according to a US indictment issued in 2003, when he was a student at Hebron University. Amnesty International in 2012 described him as one of the founding members of the Qassam Brigades.

According to Matthew Levitt, an analyst with the Washington Institute, al-Arouri was forced to leave Israel in 2010 after serving more than 15 years in prison for actions related to his Hamas membership. He lived in exile in Syria until the unrest during the Arab spring, when he moved to Turkey.

Hugh Lovatt, Israel and Palestine coordinator at the European Council on Foreign Relations, said that while al-Arouri was a significant Hamas figure – serving as the group's most prominent representative in Turkey – the former militant could have an ulterior motive for making his claim.

"Given the timing I would be very suspicious about his claim. I still don't believe Hamas as an organisation and its upper echelons sanctioned the kidnappings – something that Israeli intelligence also believes," he said.

Lovatt said that al-Arouri may be trying to claim credit for the actions of others in an attempt to demonstrate his own continued sway in the West Bank and Hamas's ability to hit Israel after failing to secure significant concessions after six weeks of violence in Gaza.

"A second, more remote possibility, is that al-Arouri is telling the truth and that he has operated on his own initiative – a development with very worrying repercussions as it would imply a serious power struggle and splintering within Hamas," he said."

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Glad they admitted it, although people with any sense already knew it.

angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

The ladies here at "Cafemom" are always so sure about things, nothing is complicated, its all black and white, its so simple that only a fool couldn't see the truth.

Quoting VooDooB:

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Only a handful of stubborn asses. For the most part I think (most) of the posters here are pretty good about seeing both sides and admitting when they were wrong.

Quoting angelaicky:

The ladies here at "Cafemom" are always so sure about things, nothing is complicated, its all black and white, its so simple that only a fool couldn't see the truth.

Quoting VooDooB:

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I wonder where our Nay-sayers are now?

Quoting VooDooB:

Only a handful of stubborn asses. For the most part I think (most) of the posters here are pretty good about seeing both sides and admitting when they were wrong.

Quoting angelaicky:

Quoting VooDooB:

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Googling for articles that conradicts the OP, of course.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting angelaicky:

Quoting VooDooB:

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM

It doesn't exactly contradict the other article, it just states that he could have other motives for saying these things now. Googling is suddenly a bad thing here? Of course I want all the information I can get, not just one source. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. You would do the same.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting angelaicky:

Quoting VooDooB:

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Oh where oh where are our naysayers!! LOL

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:41 AM

They admitted it. Of course it contradicts the other post.

Quoting angelaicky:

It doesn't exactly contradict the other article, it just states that he could have other motives for saying these things now. Googling is suddenly a bad thing here? Of course I want all the information I can get, not just one source. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. You would do the same.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting angelaicky:

Quoting VooDooB:

angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Its early The other arguments always shows up.  But for the sake of argument, lets says this guy is telling the truth.  Would that change where I stand on the issue of occupation which you have heard from me a lot.  No, because before the kidnapping, before "Hamas" Palestine was under Israelis illegal occupation. And I don't agree with the reasons Israel says it should keep control over these areas.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting angelaicky:

Quoting VooDooB:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN