Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bergdhal release illegal

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:12 AM
  • 60 Replies

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/bergdahl-prison-swap-deal-illegal-watchdog-agency-article-1.1912654

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration broke the law when it swapped five Taliban terrorists being held at Guantanamo Bay for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, a government watchdog agency said Thursday.

The Government Accountability Office said the Pentagon violated a provision of a 2014 law that requires key congressional committees to be notified "at least 30 days in advance” of any transfer of GITMO prisoners.

The report also slapped the Defense Department for using $988,400 of a wartime account to make the transfer. The report said the spending was not authorized by Congress.

“It's obvious that the President should have notified at least the leaders of Congress as a matter of policy and to maintain a relationship as this struggle [with terrorism] goes forward," Rep. Pete King (R-Long Island) said after the report’s release.

"There has to be trust. By not telling key leaders of committees, he clearly violated that trust."

The White House has raised doubts about the constitutionality of the 30-day notice requirement, arging it could violate executive powers. Pictured are Bergdahl's parents, Jani Bergdahl (left), Bob Bergdahl (center) with President Obama.MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty ImagesThe White House has raised doubts about the constitutionality of the 30-day notice requirement, arging it could violate executive powers. Pictured are Bergdahl's parents, Jani Bergdahl (left), Bob Bergdahl (center) with President Obama.

The White House has raised doubts about the constitutionality of the 30-day notice requirement, arging it could violate executive powers.

The administration also has said the nature of the negotiations for Bergdahl’s releasze and the risks to Bergdhal made any 30-day notice impractical.

AUG 14 2014 AP PROVIDES ACCESS TO THIS HANDOUT PHOTO TO BE USED SOLELY TO ILLUSTRATE NEWS REPORTING OR COMMENTARY ON THE FACTS OR EVENTS DEPICTED IN THIS IMAGE. MANDATORY CREDIT: EUGENE R. FIDELLEugene R. Fidell/AP
The administration also has said the nature of the negotiations for Bergdahl’s releasze and the risks to Bergdhal made any 30-day notice impractical.
AP PROVIDES ACCESS TO THIS PUBLICLY DISTRIBUTED HANDOUT IMAGE MADE FROM VIDEO PROVIDED BY VOICE OF JIHAD WEBSITE FOR EDITORIAL PURPOSES ONLY.Uncredited/AP
The prisoner exchange angered members of both parties but mostly Republicans. It prompted charges of bargaining with terrorists, though the administration said it dealt only with the government of Qatar in arranging the swap. Pictured is Bergdahl standing with a Taliban fighter.
PreviousNext
  • AUG 14 2014 AP PROVIDES ACCESS TO THIS HANDOUT PHOTO TO BE USED SOLELY TO ILLUSTRATE NEWS REPORTING OR COMMENTARY ON THE FACTS OR EVENTS DEPICTED IN THIS IMAGE. MANDATORY CREDIT: EUGENE R. FIDELL
  • AP PROVIDES ACCESS TO THIS PUBLICLY DISTRIBUTED HANDOUT IMAGE MADE FROM VIDEO PROVIDED BY VOICE OF JIHAD WEBSITE FOR EDITORIAL PURPOSES ONLY.
Enlarge
Eugene R. Fidell/AP

The report was requested by Senate Republicans. It constitutes an opinion on the relevant law and does not trigger any actions. Bergdahl is back on active duty at an base in Texas and is under Army investigation for possible desertion.

The prisoner exchange angered members of both parties but mostly Republicans. It prompted charges of bargaining with terrorists, though the administration said it dealt only with the government of Qatar in arranging the swap.

The report does not address the actual prisoner exchange. It only deals with the use of Defense Department funds to execute the deal without the 30-day notice

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Lol

jcrew6
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sure it is easier to laugh.  You don't have to hold anyone accountable when you are laughing...

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

Lol

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Notice how quite some of my threads are? I am in the mood to debunk people today. LOL

Quoting jcrew6:

I am sure it is easier to laugh.  You don't have to hold anyone accountable when you are laughing...

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

Lol

jcrew6
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Only an idiot would find the actions of team Obama excusable. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Notice how quite some of my threads are? I am in the mood to debunk people today. LOL

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

Lol

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I laugh at all stupid shit posted
on my fb by this chick I went to hs with, your stuff gets the same treatment.
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I have answered this topic on other threads.

I'll do it again:  This is not a surprise.  

The law was meant to tie Obama's hands; his admin states that if he had obeyed this law, Bergdahl wouldn't have been rescued.   The Obama admin maintains that this law is unconstitutional.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM
4 moms liked this

It's idiotic to believe that an American soldier should have been brought home?

Quoting jcrew6:

Only an idiot would find the actions of team Obama excusable. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

Lol

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Do you propose we send him back?

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM

What Obama did was illegal and against everything we stand for.  We still have no idea about bergdahl did. 

Quoting muslimahpj:

Do you propose we send him back?

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM

So he just breaks the law and it's ok? that is an impeachable offense

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I have answered this topic on other threads.

I'll do it again:  This is not a surprise.  

The law was meant to tie Obama's hands; his admin states that if he had obeyed this law, Bergdahl wouldn't have been rescued.   The Obama admin maintains that this law is unconstitutional.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)