Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Could I be liable?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM
  • 17 Replies

There is a hive in the railroad ties bordering my neighbors driveway.  There is about4 ft of land between the hive and my property that belongs to him that take care of.  My son in law was mowing for me and was attacked.  I know he isnt going to sue me but I want to put caution tape up, the mailman walks through my yard and on that way every day.  We will get rid of the hive for our own safety but I cant do it today.  

Could I be liable for injuries due to these apparently very aggressive bees?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Not if it's not on your property.  A sign would be good though, just as a courtesy

BoSoxJazzy
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM
I'm sorry I'm slightly confused. Is it on your property or his? If on his is there an agreement that you take care of that land? If it's on his and there is no agreement I believe it's the neighbors responsibility technically.
survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I have some yellow caution tape I am going to find.  Even if I am  in no way legally liable I would feel responsible if someone else was hurt.  They felt that mower and became very aggressive very fast:(

Quoting snookyfritz:

Not if it's not on your property.  A sign would be good though, just as a courtesy

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Its on his property about 4 ft from the property line.  There is no written or verbal agreement that I know of but I  do use his land in the back, my doghouse is on it actually. Its a rental, a duplex. The lawn company never maintained the strip of ground alongside the building so I started mowing and using it. 

Quoting BoSoxJazzy: I'm sorry I'm slightly confused. Is it on your property or his? If on his is there an agreement that you take care of that land? If it's on his and there is no agreement I believe it's the neighbors responsibility technically.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

If they are honey bees you might be able to find someone to come in and relocate the hive. I would contact your local extention office to inquire.

nwp.org

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting NWP:

If they are honey bees you might be able to find someone to come in and relocate the hive. I could contact your local extention office to inquire.

I dont think they are, they are bigger and in the ground too I think.  Hubby says they are definitely not honey bees, he has a friend who is a bee keeper and we would just call him I think. Then I could have a hand in all that honey :)

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM

If they're in the ground it sounds like wasps. We had them under our ground in the backyard and had to have a comppany come out twice a year and spray for a couple years. After that, they relocate to a new place.

What does your landlord say? 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Bumblebees live in holes, usually in wood, but they are solitary and non-aggressive. 

If they are large and coming in swarms out of the ground they could be hornets. Those things can be very territorial and aggressive and a professional would need to remove them.

There is a hornet's nest in the park next to our house and they chase the girls when they go over there. We have had to stop going over there.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting NWP:

If they are honey bees you might be able to find someone to come in and relocate the hive. I could contact your local extention office to inquire.

I dont think they are, they are bigger and in the ground too I think.  Hubby says they are definitely not honey bees, he has a friend who is a bee keeper and we would just call him I think. Then I could have a hand in all that honey :)

nwp.org

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting VooDooB:

If they're in the ground it sounds like wasps. We had them under our ground in the backyard and had to have a comppany come out twice a year and spray for a couple years. After that, they relocate to a new place.

What does your landlord say? 

The property next door is a rental I own my home, well about 90 % of it :)  About 2 more yrs on my mortgage yay :)

They are fuzzy but I am no stinging insect expert except to say I have some fear for all of them lol

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Like I said I am no expert they may be something other than a bee, the way they atacked I thoight they were africanized, though I think I am too far north.  He lost his shoes and they were still buzzing them hours later.

Quoting NWP:

Bumblebees live in holes, usually in wood, but they are solitary and non-aggressive. 

If they are large and coming in swarms out of the ground they could be hornets. Those things can be very territorial and aggressive and a professional would need to remove them.

There is a hornet's nest in the park next to our house and they chase the girls when they go over there. We have had to stop going over there.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting NWP:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN