Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is Taylor Swift's New Video Racist?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM
  • 145 Replies
1 mom liked this

Black Women Call Taylor Swift's New Video 'Really Troubling'

Posted: Updated: 
Print Article

The clip has spurred a negative reaction from commentators including Odd Future's Earl Sweatshirt, who expressed his displeasure by tweeting that the video is "perpetuating black stereotypes to the same demographic of white girls who hide their prejudice by proclaiming their love of the culture."

HuffPost Live's Marc Lamont Hill discussed the controversy on Thursday with a panel that included comedian Amanda Seales, gender studies professor Treva Lindsey and writer Everdeen Mason, who doesn't believe Swift's use of twerking is racist.

nwp.org

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Eh, I don't see the problem...but I'm not a part of the culture who's supposedly offended by this so....
acrogodess
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM
18 moms liked this
I watched the video and had my 11 year old watch it. We are Hispanic. Ever watch a reggaeton video? They were shaking their asses long before it was called twerking. The twerking scene of the video had white, black and Spanish girls twerking. Should I be offended too?

None of her video came across as racist. She is making fun of herself and not knowing how to dance to choreography. The video is cute and my daughter who is not a Taylor Swift fan found a video and song that she enjoys.

People want to cry racism about everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TresHijas111825
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:37 PM
I don't think she intended to be racist; however when I saw the video...I KNEW this shit storm was inevitable.
MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:40 PM
5 moms liked this

Well she's white so it must be.      hohum       

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

eh-I guess since the "twerking" culture is prevalent among Black culture, she wasn't entirely off base. For the record-I hate twerking and think she really included that to stay relevant. However, what's more troubling is that her ballet piece didn't have any diversity where as the rest of her "genres" did. There are ballet dancers of color out here.

And for my very immature comment: Taylor Swift makes me itch

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm Irish and very white. LOL. Every year in March about two million people decend on my small city and dress up like "Irish Folk" and get drunk as a skunk for an entire week.

Meh....

Quoting MelanieJK:

Well she's white so it must be.      hohum       

nwp.org

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it's adorable

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:51 PM
10 moms liked this

Thank you for forcing me to watch that entire video looking for racism. /sigh

So J.Lo who twerks in her vid is fine. Beyonce twerking is fine. But this wasn't?

P.S. that guys fingers were AMAZING. I bet he can do some pretty amazing things with them............................................................... I'm going to hell.

Mommy51408
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Mountain out of a damn mole hill.
Lele123
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh please tell me this is a joke!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)