Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

For the Second Time Since July, A Flag Has Been Placed on a NYC Bridge by Unknown Sources

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:01 PM
  • 38 Replies

For the Second Time Since July, A Flag Has Been Placed on a NYC Bridge by Unknown Sources

flag 2

New Yorkers were surprised to see an unusual decoration on the bridge connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn.

A giant flag was draped alongside the Manhattan Bridge, soliciting support for Palestinians in Gaza. The banner was dropped Wednesday evening near the Lower Manhattan side. The words “Boycott, Divest, Sanction” were printed across the green, white and black colors of the flag.

The flag also read “GAZA IN OUR HEARTS.”

flag3

More than 500 Pro-Palestinian activists were marching along the adjacent Brooklyn Bridge yesterday when the massive flag was unfurled.

Police immediately removed the flag, and after questioning many of the protesters, none admitted to dropping the flag or having any idea who did it.

So far no arrests have been made. This is the second time in recent months that a flag has been illegally and anonymously placed on a bridge in New York City. This past July, two white flags replaced American flags on top of the Brooklyn Bridge.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/170118-palestinian-supporters-unfurled-massive-flag-side-brooklyn-bridge/

by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM
3 moms liked this

good

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Yep. For the second time in 2 months, people were able to illegally get on top of the bridge and place something there, under the noses of the supposed constant surveillance. It begs the question: if they can get flags up there, what else can a crazy person get up there?

If you think that's something to thumbs-up about, then good on you.

Quoting muslimahpj:

good

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 23, 2014 at 4:16 PM
4 moms liked this

The white flags on top eh maybe but this flag is representing a passive protest.  It made me smile when I saw what it said.  

Quoting VooDooB:

Yep. For the second time in 2 months, people were able to illegally get on top of the bridge and place something there, under the noses of the supposed constant surveillance. It begs the question: if they can get flags up there, what else can a crazy person get up there?

Quoting muslimahpj:

good

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Aug. 23, 2014 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Um no, that's not the top of the bridge. That's the pedestrian walkway and it's NOT closed off to the public.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting muslimahpj:

good

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 4:21 PM
4 moms liked this

This is no big deal.  The Manhattan Bridge is open to foot traffic and this banner is not far from where pedestrians would be permitted anyway. 

Where the last flags showed up (on the tippy top of the Brooklyn Bridge) is very far from where folks ought to be and calls into question how they got there unnoticed.  Also, the replacing of the American flag with white flags was creepy-symbolic.  This...there's really no subtext.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM

You're missing the point. I don't care if it's a flag supporting Unicorns shitting rainbow cupcakes. It's not supposed to be there.

Quoting survivorinohio:

The white flags on top eh maybe but this flag is representing a passive protest.  It made me smile when I saw what it said.  

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting muslimahpj:

good

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Yep, it is good on me.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting muslimahpj:

good

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Okay - you may be right about that. But it's not supposed to be done. You can't hang flags off the bridge like that. It was done under the noses of security. Did you see the part that said "no arrests have been made?" It's illegal.

Um no, that's not the top of the bridge. That's the pedestrian walkway and it's NOT closed off to the public.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting muslimahpj:

good

- Iga

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM
2 moms liked this

What does this have to do with not liking the country?

Quoting shaye: Disgusts me. Don't like my country get the eff out. So sick of this crap.

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting shaye: Disgusts me. Don't like my country get the eff out. So sick of this crap.

How exactly did this flag say that to you?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN