Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

BiPartisan Slap of Reality

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM
  • 5 Replies

Under the presidency of George W. Bush, our country tortured people.

Water boarding and other practices done on prisoners are considered torture under the Geneva Convention and we (our leaders, elected by us) did that.

Further more, we don't even know if any of these people deserved imprisonment to begin with. None of them had a fair trial. Many were later released, like an "oops".

But, don't get your conservative panties in an uproar because I'm picking on Bush. I'm not a fan of the current president either.

Obama promised when he was campaigning the first time that he'd end wars.

He didn't.

He promised to end torture.

He didn't.

If we truly get to elect our presidents, if that's not rigged or somehow fixed, then we got a lot of 'splainin' to do when we reach the Pearly Gates.

Now I'm proud to be an American and I know there are other countries that do awful things to us, and I am NOT feeling sympathetic to them at all.

I am NOT saying any American tortured or beheaded deserved it.

But let's face reality. We've stooped to that level. At least, our presidents and other elected officials that condone torture.

This is what happens when the most highly respected country on earth loses its moral compass and then it all falls like a house of cards.

No one on earth should be torturing and killing others.

But Republican or Democratic presidents, they've both been a party to it.

I don't know...am I the only one that remembers this? Does this just go over everyone's heads because we just don't want to face the reality?

I"m not ashamed of America, but I am ashamed of our country committing these atrocities and calling it justice.

We seem to notice it when it happens to one of our own. I mean, as human beings, don't we have any feeling for anyone else?

I can see a guy in WWII sitting in a foxhole and spraying bullets in a guy whose about the get him. That's like, self defense even though it's still an awful situation.

But torture? Really? Did we like, hand our government over to the mafioso? Or did we become like some Colombian drug cartel?

People , we gotta do some better voting next time, and promote some better people into office. I think not only do we have to judge on the content of the character rather than the color of their skin, but we gotta take a real, serious look for at least about 5 minutes at the guy's voting record and try, like you would asess your car salesman, the sincerity of the guy running for office.

No voting for the guy whose the best looking, the coolest, the most fashionable, or his pretend religion (as with Bush, the phony).

Pay attention to the news. Read. Get off your iPhones and ditch Facebook and Twitter. It's just mental candy.

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:24 AM
Last time I checked the Iraq war is done and so is the AFG war(and we are currently trying to pull out). The ending is being drawn out because it is not cut and dry. WThe stuff beyond that is not in relation to those wars... They're secondary to it and likely would have happened no matter who is in office(no matter if we were to get involved or not... They would still be happening). I don't like any president completely... That includes Bush and Obama. When our country gets it's head out of it's ass and quits dealing with social bullshittery we might stand a chance since more eyes will be on what counts. It doesn't have anything to do with morality IMO... Past presidents likely let torture go on as well and while the nuclear bombs may have ended WW2, we could argue they also tortured many in it's aftermath(due to the long lasting effects). I think a lot of people have their bias glasses on in concerns of Obama, and will look at ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING he does(or doesn't do) as bad.

The elections are rigged by big money, but WE still hold the power... We are just too scared to do so. That would mean ending the status quo, and possibly being more unhappy and unstable for awhile. I so believe that that if an overwhelming majority voted for the same person they would get elected... But people are too split and too blinded by unimportant shit and too careless. Until we come together for change it will never happen.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Quoting buttersworth:

Obama [...]

He promised to end torture.

He didn't.

Are you thinking of Guantanamo Bay still being open?

Or did you have something else in mind?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Quoting buttersworth:

the content of the character

I'm not sure that's a great approach.   John McCain had good character.   Certainly more than Bill Clinton.

Doesn't mean he'd have made a better president, though.

Sad though it is, I think you have to accept that the policy that will get enacted during a presidential term doesn't depends just upon a president.   It is the president's team and political backers, too.   And you CAN'T get elected without backers of some form.

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting buttersworth:

the content of the character

I'm not sure that's a great approach.   John McCain had good character.   Certainly more than Bill Clinton.

Doesn't mean he'd have made a better president, though.

Sad though it is, I think you have to accept that the policy that will get enacted during a presidential term doesn't depends just upon a president.   It is the president's team and political backers, too.   And you CAN'T get elected without backers of some form.

Different character I dont know about better.  It was widely reported he was abusive to his wife.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

EmpireRegal
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM
I like that you called out both parties. That was very fair and mature to the topic.

Just curious on a thought. Do you think torture started in the USA that recently? Or is it more plausible that it has always been used, but the world has become smaller with the use of the internet? We are just more aware of it now, than say 200 years ago?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN