Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Judge warns against Perry grand jury threats

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM
KK
  • 14 Replies

Judge warns against Perry grand jury threats

By Tim Eaton

American-Statesman Staff

A state district judge in Austin said Thursday that she intends to protect members of the grand jury that indicted Gov. Rick Perry from any threats — veiled or direct — from the governor or anyone else.

Judge Julie Kocurek of the 390th District Court, a Democrat, said Perry’s Saturday statement, issued a day after the indictment, could be construed as a threat and possible violation of the law. Kocurek, as the administrative presiding judge of all criminal courts in the county, said that “no one is above the law,” and the public needs to know that grand jurors are legally protected from any threat.

“I have a duty to make sure that our members of the grand jury are protected,” Kocurek said. “I am defending the integrity of our grand jury system.”

The judge said that Perry might have made a veiled threat when he said: “I am confident we will ultimately prevail, that this farce of a prosecution will be revealed for what it is, and that those responsible will be held to account.”

The only people that Perry could be referring to as being accountable are the grand jurors, judge and prosecutor, Kocurek said.

The Texas Penal Code that outlaws obstruction and retaliation says that anyone who “intentionally or knowingly harms or threatens to harm” a grand juror faces a second degree felony, which is punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmpireRegal
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM
That is good. Serving the public through jury duty shouldn't be a place where fear and domination can reach them.

Even if this trial goes off without a hitch I fear whatever side "loses" will go insane and cause more trouble.
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Sounds more like the Judge should be removed from the bench if she is incapable of being impartial by making such a claim.  

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Good. Follow the law.
latashac
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM

He should be remanded until sentencing

SilverTequila
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:56 AM

BUMP!

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:07 AM
Make our state proud, douchebag.
nerdmom2twins
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this

It was definitely not a good idea to mouth off like that.  Were I him, I would tread carefully.  If he is guilty, mouthing off will only hurt his case.  If he has been set up, mouthing off only gives the claims more fuel...thus hurting his case.  He would be wise to keep quiet, and try to cooperate with everyone involved. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Aug. 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. Let the system work. I think it's a weak case and I'm a Democrat who can't stand Perry. Stay above it all and let the evidence speak for itself. Unless he's guilty, then deflect at every turn!

Quoting nerdmom2twins:

It was definitely not a good idea to mouth off like that.  Were I him, I would tread carefully.  If he is guilty, mouthing off will only hurt his case.  If he has been set up, mouthing off only gives the claims more fuel...thus hurting his case.  He would be wise to keep quiet, and try to cooperate with everyone involved. 

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 25, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I agree but it's hard when emotions go crazy too. He will win!

Quoting nerdmom2twins:

Goodybag1
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Good stand your ground judge lol!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)