Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This story just makes me so sad. It happenes a lot here in Boston

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:39 AM
  • 74 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/25/keller-large-dawnn-jaffier-murder-another-reminder-of-collapse-of-civilized-behavior/

BOSTON (CBS) – Our deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of Dawnn Jaffier of Brighton, the innocent woman killed as she participated in a community parade by what police are calling an “errant shot.” It happened at 8:17 in the morning on a busy street corner.

8:17 a.m.

They’re still investigating what happened, but it sounds like a familiar story – a handful of complete idiots with guns terrorizing the population without limit or shame, totally indifferent to the collateral damage of innocent bystanders.

By all accounts Dawnn Jaffier was a caring, civic-minded woman. I wouldn’t say the people who robbed her and us of her future are the same as the creatures in ISIS, acting out their homicidal fantasies on a massive scale.

But I’d say they were cut from the same cloth, and will rot in the same warm-weather climate when they go.

The whole appalling episode is a reminder that even though we are a far cry from Syria right now in terms of safety, the rule of law, human rights and so on, we are not immune from the collapses of civilized behavior in the news this summer.

Boston Globe reporters covering the Jaffier murder interviewed a couple of alleged witnesses who wouldn’t give their names and refused to provide more than minimal detail. “Most residents said they had not seen or heard anything, or declined to comment,” the Globe reported.

Of course not, they’re terrorized, not unlike the people of Gaza, who woke up Saturday to the news that Hamas thugs had executed 18 people for allegedly conspiring against them, seven of them in front of a mosque where people worshipped inside.

I wonder about any society that tolerates the terrorizing of its own, ours included.

Unless our attitude going forward is – this is intolerable.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

Keller at Large Aug 25 2014

dawnn jaffier shot to death in dorchester Keller @ Large: Dawnn Jaffier Murder Another Reminder Of Collapse Of Civilized Behavior
WBZ NewsRadio 1030
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM

BUMP!

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Yeah, it isn't about your sadness but about your using this in your usual opportunistic way to say we are so uncivilized we don't care about our own.  

You, a white woman care but we, black people, including the ones in that city, don't care.  Do you ever listen to yourself?

Wait, why am I even asking?

tiffyhamm
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JonJon:

Yeah, it isn't about your sadness but about your using this in your usual opportunistic way to say these animals don't care about their own.  

You, a white woman cares but we, black people, including the ones in that city, don't care.  Do you ever listen to yourself?

I don't think she is like what you are saying, nor did I get that from THIS post.  There may have been some other posting of hers I hadn't seen that gave you this impression of her.  I don't agree with a lot of her positions/views, but she ain't like a couple of other women in here who I definitely think fit what you're describing.  Perhaps you've had a different interaction with number than I have, but from my interactions with her and from reading her other replies, I don't think she is what you think she is....a few of these other chicks, hell yes.  Her?  I don't think so.  

I will say that as I skimmed this article and it was talking about Hamas, Isis, Gaza, etc...I was like, "thought this happened in Boston?"  Then I went back a read it.  I feel deep sadness for her family.  Gorgeous smile, gone way too soon.  

angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I think I see some other motives for this posting as well.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I wish the troll list was enumerated so I could just refer to certain types of trolls by number.  I'll just have to c&p the description of the type of trolling that's being done here. One of these days I'm going to have to revise the list to make it non-specific to Ferguson because these trolls come out like this on all kinds of events and topics:

The Concern Troll
These are among the more passive aggressive trolls you will encounter. They not only target victims like Mike Brown with statements like "I wish he hadn't stolen those cigars: he might be alive," but target the community as well, saying things like "Should they really be out there protesting with little kids? I worry about that kind of parenting."

Let me make one thing clear in case you weren't sure: these people aren't worried about the children of Ferguson. They're not actually "concerned" at all," despite their title. These people employ words like "worry" and "I wish" and "concern" to communicate their disapproval of black people doing anything besides playing the Martin Baker role. If they were actually concerned, they would see the images of police with hidden badge numbers, tear-gassing eight-year old girls, and be concerned about the escalation of violence police in Ferguson are responsible for.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Quoting JonJon:

Yeah, it isn't about your sadness but about your using this in your usual opportunistic way to say these animals don't care about their own.  

You, a white woman cares but we, black people, including the ones in that city, don't care.  Do you ever listen to yourself?

I don't think she is like what you are saying, nor did I get that from THIS post.  There may have been some other posting of hers I hadn't seen that gave you this impression of her.  I don't agree with a lot of her positions/views, but she ain't like a couple of other women in here who I definitely think fit what you're describing.  Perhaps you've had a different interaction with number than I have, but from my interactions with her and from reading her other replies, I don't think she is what you think she is....a few of these other chicks, hell yes.  Her?  I don't think so.  

I will say that as I skimmed this article and it was talking about Hamas, Isis, Gaza, etc...I was like, "thought this happened in Boston?"  Then I went back a read it.  I feel deep sadness for her family.  Gorgeous smile, gone way too soon.  

Yes, my experience with her has been different.  

angelaicky
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I've only had a few interactions but her but I don't think its hard to see the real reason this was posted. They even managed to put something about Gaza in here.

Quoting JonJon:

Yeah, it isn't about your sadness but about your using this in your usual opportunistic way to say we are so uncivilized we don't care about our own.  

You, a white woman care but we, black people, including the ones in that city, don't care.  Do you ever listen to yourself?

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM
4 moms liked this

I am not convinced that more guns in public places decreases gun violence in public places. This is why I do not want people walking around every Kroger, Target and Starbucks with weapons strapped on their backs.

Also, people need to be held 120% accountable up to and including full prosecution for any crime that happens with their weapon, no matter who pulls the trigger. Accountability starts with being responsible for the possession of your weapon- if it's stolen, it better get reported immediately.

Gun owners need to have way more skin in the game.

tiffyhamm
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Quoting angelaicky:

I think I see some other motives for this posting as well.

For real?  I ain't sayin' you're wrong, I just haven't been reading too much beyond what I post and half of what someone else posts when they quote me lately, so I may be missing some stuff.  

tiffyhamm
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Quoting JonJon:

Yes, my experience with her has been different.  

Aight den...carry on my friend, carry on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN