Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

8 things women couldnt do on the 1st Women's Equality Day in 1971 & 6 they still cant

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM
  • 105 Replies

8 Things Women Couldn't Do On The First Women's Equality Day In 1971 -- And 6 They Still Can't

Posted: Updated:
WOMENS EQUALITY DAY

In 1971, Congress declared August 26th -- the day in 1920 on which the 19th amendment, which gave American women the right to vote, was certified as law -- Women's Equality Day. Every year since, we've had a designated 24 hours to reflect on how far we've come since women couldn't even cast a vote for President in this country, and how far the country still has to go, when it comes to gender equality.

8 Things Women Couldn't Do In 1971...

1. Get credit cards in their own names.
The Equal Credit Opportunity Act of 1974 gave women that right. The law forced credit card companies to issue cards to women without a husband's signature.

2. Legally get an abortion.
The seminal Supreme Court decision on Roe v. Wade, which protected a woman's right to choose, didn't happen until 1973.

3. Access the morning after pill.
The FDA first approved emergency contraception in 1998, and the morning after pill became available over the counter just last year, in 2013.

4. Be guaranteed they wouldn't be fired for getting pregnant.
The Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 added an amendment to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, specificyng that employers could not discriminate "on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions."

5. Marry another woman.
Massachusetts became the first U.S. state to legalize same-sex marriage in 2004. Love is love is love.

6. Fight on the front lines.
Women were first admitted into military academies in 1976. And in 2013, the military ban on women in combat (tied to a Pentagon rule from 1994) was lifted by Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta.

7. Take legal action against workplace sexual harassment.
According to The Week, the first time a court recognized office sexual harassment as grounds for legal action was in 1977.

8. Decide not to have sex if their husbands wanted to.
Spousal rape wasn't criminalized in all 50 states until 1993.

In 2014, Beyonce is performing at the VMAs with the word "feminist" emblazoned behind her, but "equality" is still something that feels out of reach for many women.

6 Things Women Still Can't Do In 2014...

1. Receive equal pay for equal work.
Yes, the gender wage gap still exists. Just ask Joan Halloway.

2. Name a female president.
We're still waiting for the first...

3. Marry another woman in any of the 50 states one chooses to live in.
Since 1971 the tide of public opinion on marriage equality has turned -- same-sex marriage is now legal in 19 states and Washington, D.C. -- but there are still 31 that ban gay marriage, 28 through constitutional amendments.

4. Necessarily access an abortion.
Despite the fact that it is legal for women to terminate their pregnancies in the U.S., states have been enacting more and more restrictions around the procedure and making it harder for clinics to perform it. In July, the Washington Post reported that more than half of Texas' abortion clinics have shut down since newly-restrictive legislation passed last year. And according to NARAL, abortion restrictions disproportionately impact young women and poor women.

5. Be guaranteed paid maternity leave.
Pour another one out for American exceptionalism. The United States is the only developed country that does not guarantee new mothers paid leave. (A devastatingly small percentage of U.S. companies -- 16 percent -- offer fully paid maternity leave.)

6. Be sure their health insurance will cover contraception.
Despite an Obamacare mandate, demanding that employers that are not religious institutions or houses of worship fully cover birth control, some insurers are refusing to do so. (And of course, the Hobby Lobby case gave some for-profit employers exemption from covering contraception.)

by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM
15 moms liked this

The 6 "they can't" list is bogus. 

1 - The pay gap is a myth.  The reason it exists is that women work less hours than men do, so the end of year salary for the same position is different.  If a woman put in the same hours as a man in the same position, the pay gap dwindles to zero.  The gap is also based on averages.  There are plenty of women who make well OVER what a man makes, because they work more hours, or are more qualified, etc.

2 - A woman ran for president.  But we were so up in arms over equality, that we chose a black man instead.  Either way it would have gone down in history as the first black man or the first woman president.  There are many women politicians though... senators, mayors, representatives, etc.

3 - This is not a women's inequality thing, this is an inequality for both sexes thing.  Men do not have the ability to marry any man of their choosing in all 50 states either.  Putting this in here was completely pointless.

4 - Abortion should not be accessed willinilly anyway, but you can access them whenever you please, if you're willing to put in the footwork.  There will always be doctors and facilities that will perform abortions at any point in time.  That isn't going to change.

5 - Maternity leave is not a right.  Neither is paternity leave.

6 - Insurance covered birth control is also not a right.  Women do not have the right to force someone to pay for their birth control.  They can easily access it and pay for it on their own.

Gamer_mom1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:50 PM
10 moms liked this
How on earth do you figure "women work fewer hours than men do? A lot of employers may randomize the hours a bit but often have a minimum number of bourse for part time and for full time

With the exception of places that offer the same hours for everyone. I've worked at a place gives everyone 40 hours per week and starts everyone at equal wages (yes above minimum)

When I worked for one store a man of my same age who was honesty a lazy druggie bum was making over 3 dollars per hour more than me as a hire on. He was making over ten while I was making 7.25 (minimum wage was a little over 6 at the time

There was also a much older woman who had been there for two ears at the time who was a much harder worker who was making quite a bit less than him too.

Yes a woman just ran for president. I think everyone knows that. Doesn't change that we've still not had one although we are hopeful we have come far enough now. In fact I rnmember my bio dads wife oddly going on about how she didn't want some bitch on her period running the country

Yes. A woman should be able to access abortion if her tie hair wiggles on a rainy day in September and no there should be no right wing agenda based restrictions in place

Last I checked women paid for their insurance coverage. There's no reason this medical issue should be different from any other covered issue just because people have been brainwashed by patriarchy and hate female sexuality

Quoting kailu1835:

1 - The pay gap is a myth.  The reason it exists is that women work less hours than men do, so the end of year salary for the same position is different.  If a woman put in the same hours as a man in the same position, the pay gap dwindles to zero.  The gap is also based on averages.  There are plenty of women who make well OVER what a man makes, because they work more hours, or are more qualified, etc.

2 - A woman ran for president.  But we were so up in arms over equality, that we chose a black man instead.  Either way it would have gone down in history as the first black man or the first woman president.  There are many women politicians though... senators, mayors, representatives, etc.

3 - This is not a women's inequality thing, this is an inequality for both sexes thing.  Men do not have the ability to marry any man of their choosing in all 50 states either.  Putting this in here was completely pointless.

4 - Abortion should not be accessed willinilly anyway, but you can access them whenever you please, if you're willing to put in the footwork.  There will always be doctors and facilities that will perform abortions at any point in time.  That isn't going to change.

6 - Insurance covered birth control is also not a right.  Women do not have the right to force someone to pay for their birth control.  They can easily access it and pay for it on their own.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:03 PM
3 moms liked this

gender wage gap is illegal here ...federal laws states a woman is entitled to the same wage as a man if the job is the same.

We have had a female PM and she was a dickhead....no prize for her, she had the power to pass legal marriage for gay people and yet didnt....so no lesbian marriages here.

Abortion is an act that is accepted here ...nobody needs to know the reasons why outside of the regulated social worker interview.  People protest outside but as abortion is legal and people know it...for those protesters to become violent is a big no no.

we get maternity leave....our current PM made the stupid decision to put more money into the pot by raising the length of maternity leave as well as the income ceiling.  Nobody asked for it and it will only apply to a small small TINY amount of women but hey lets do that ...he is another dickhead.

never ever understood the insurance covering medications of so small value.  Cancer curing meds...yup.  Constraceptives, antibiotics....asthma etc etc.  Those we pay for.

women in Australia have come further by comparison.

P.S  Marriage and non married couples have almost 99.9% of the same legal rights.  Gay couples are recognized as non married couples (or defacto couples) so marriage wasnt really a push down here...it was more of a want that didnt really affect most gay couples.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Seriously? What is wrong with you?

Quoting kailu1835:

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:20 PM

clapping

Quoting Gamer_mom1: How on earth do you figure "women work fewer hours than men do? A lot of employers may randomize the hours a bit but often have a minimum number of bourse for part time and for full time With the exception of places that offer the same hours for everyone. I've worked at a place gives everyone 40 hours per week and starts everyone at equal wages (yes above minimum) When I worked for one store a man of my same age who was honesty a lazy druggie bum was making over 3 dollars per hour more than me as a hire on. He was making over ten while I was making 7.25 (minimum wage was a little over 6 at the time There was also a much older woman who had been there for two ears at the time who was a much harder worker who was making quite a bit less than him too. Yes a woman just ran for president. I think everyone knows that. Doesn't change that we've still not had one although we are hopeful we have come far enough now. In fact I rnmember my bio dads wife oddly going on about how she didn't want some bitch on her period running the country Yes. A woman should be able to access abortion if her tie hair wiggles on a rainy day in September and no there should be no right wing agenda based restrictions in place Last I checked women paid for their insurance coverage. There's no reason this medical issue should be different from any other covered issue just because people have been brainwashed by patriarchy and hate female sexuality
Quoting kailu1835:

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:20 PM
3 moms liked this

I think you likely misunderstood what I meant.  It's not by design, but by choice.  Women, particularly mothers, are less likely to work overtime hours, are more likely to need time off due to sick children, are less likely to work nights and weekends, etc.  If a woman works less hours than a man, these are the most common reasons for that.

Not having a woman president has more to do with qualifications and who the woman is, rather than the inability of a woman to run.  Clearly women are perfectly capable of running for president, since Obama only won the nomination by a small margin, and capable of winning, since she will likely be getting the nomination this coming election, and if the country isn't tired of idiot democrats, she'll win.

We will always differ in the area of abortion, since it is a morality vs amorality discussion, not medical vs. nonmedical.  I believe in abortion for certain reasons, but not as birth control.  I'm not going to argue it, because I'd be arguing morals vs someone who has none when it comes to abortion.  I

Quoting Gamer_mom1: How on earth do you figure "women work fewer hours than men do? A lot of employers may randomize the hours a bit but often have a minimum number of bourse for part time and for full time With the exception of places that offer the same hours for everyone. I've worked at a place gives everyone 40 hours per week and starts everyone at equal wages (yes above minimum) When I worked for one store a man of my same age who was honesty a lazy druggie bum was making over 3 dollars per hour more than me as a hire on. He was making over ten while I was making 7.25 (minimum wage was a little over 6 at the time There was also a much older woman who had been there for two ears at the time who was a much harder worker who was making quite a bit less than him too. Yes a woman just ran for president. I think everyone knows that. Doesn't change that we've still not had one although we are hopeful we have come far enough now. In fact I rnmember my bio dads wife oddly going on about how she didn't want some bitch on her period running the country Yes. A woman should be able to access abortion if her tie hair wiggles on a rainy day in September and no there should be no right wing agenda based restrictions in place Last I checked women paid for their insurance coverage. There's no reason this medical issue should be different from any other covered issue just because people have been brainwashed by patriarchy and hate female sexuality
Quoting kailu1835:

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Brilliant response.  I'm blown away by your sheer power of logic.

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting kailu1835:

downeastmamax2
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM

LOL!  Great comeback....

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting kailu1835:

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Well, you lack in the logic department, so, I thought this would appeal to you.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting kailu1835:

LoveMyDog
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:54 PM
4 moms liked this

I took off 13 years from my career to raise kids. I had to do a reboot to get back in the game.  My 2 best friends didn't put their careers on hold.  I bet they make the same as my husband.  Actually the one probably makes more. Wage gap is total crap base on mathematical manipulation for political gain. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN