Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Unethical?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM
  • 22 Replies

You may have seen me state several times that I'm in the building stage of my permaculture, U-pick orchard. I've been looking at various subsidies and grants. There are many. Competition is fierce. So my research has shown that there are aids for beginner farmers, which I would qualify for, and socially disadvantaged farmers. Now, Hisanics count. My DH is hispanic. He really isn't the farmer though. He has no interest in it. But, he's a financial invester I suppose you could say. So is it unethical for me to apply for socially disadvantaged aids?

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

reading up on the grants he would technically have to be a majority share holder.  

It does sound like you would possibly qualify though as it includes  gender

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/SupportDocuments/nvSSDPG%20fact%20sheet.pdf

furbabymum
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Well we're married and he makes more money than I do. I'll just be doing the grunt work, he has no interest in that.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

reading up on the grants he would technically have to be a majority share holder.  

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM

it looks like you would qualify anyway as a woman.  If you wanted to apply under his status you would have to set it up as him being the majority share holder.  they don't care who does the grunt work.  

Quoting furbabymum:

Well we're married and he makes more money than I do. I'll just be doing the grunt work, he has no interest in that.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

jllcali
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:39 AM
What are the marital property laws in your state? If joint property laws would give him legal rights to half of any of your business holdings in the event of divorce, whether he was involved in them or not I don't think it matters if he doesn't do any gruntwork. In the past couple years there has been an increase in programs designed to help/give discounts to veteran business owners, veterans starting businesses and people get their veteran friends to help them get the assistance, even though the veteran will have little to no involvement in the business. And it's legal apparently. You qualify as a woman too. So I think you're probably good.

furbabymum
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Well hell, DH is a veteran as well. I should be rolling in the free monies ;)

I guess to me it FEELS like using him. Since this is absolutely nothing he's interested in. He supplies $$ and that's it. So if I "used" him to get free monies it just feels like using but then, hell he would love to have to shell ou less $$ for my farm so he'd be all for it.

Quoting jllcali: What are the marital property laws in your state? If joint property laws would give him legal rights to half of any of your business holdings in the event of divorce, whether he was involved in them or not I don't think it matters if he doesn't do any gruntwork. In the past couple years there has been an increase in programs designed to help/give discounts to veteran business owners, veterans starting businesses and people get their veteran friends to help them get the assistance, even though the veteran will have little to no involvement in the business. And it's legal apparently. You qualify as a woman too. So I think you're probably good.

jllcali
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:14 PM
If he's actually pitching in money, he's involved in the business whether or not he does gruntwork.

Quoting furbabymum:

I guess to me it FEELS like using him. Since this is absolutely nothing he's interested in. He supplies $$ and that's it. So if I "used" him to get free monies it just feels like using but then, hell he would love to have to shell ou less $$ for my farm so he'd be all for it.

Quoting jllcali: What are the marital property laws in your state? If joint property laws would give him legal rights to half of any of your business holdings in the event of divorce, whether he was involved in them or not I don't think it matters if he doesn't do any gruntwork. In the past couple years there has been an increase in programs designed to help/give discounts to veteran business owners, veterans starting businesses and people get their veteran friends to help them get the assistance, even though the veteran will have little to no involvement in the business. And it's legal apparently. You qualify as a woman too. So I think you're probably good.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Its good to use your husband:-)
survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

This, whether he ever gets his hands dirty or not he is involved.

Quoting jllcali: If he's actually pitching in money, he's involved in the business whether or not he does gruntwork.
Quoting furbabymum:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Nope, go for it.I hope you get something
tiffyhamm
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

This, whether he ever gets his hands dirty or not he is involved.

Quoting jllcali: If he's actually pitching in money, he's involved in the business whether or not he does gruntwork.
Quoting furbabymum:

Yup, I was gonna say the same thing. 

Good Luck on your permaculture, U-pick orchard furbaby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN