Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Racist (long but you expect that by now, right?)

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM
  • 74 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is one of the most confused and confusing words in our country.

It's almost never used right.

In the olden days a racist was someone wearing a white robe and a pointy hat saying things like, "The only thing a ____ can do for me is shine my shoes!"  

A racist was someone who believed white people had superior brains and that the brains of black people were the size of a walnut.  A racist believed black people had tails and were more monkey than human.  A racist would burn the house next door down before he'd let a black person move into it.  A racist didn't want his kid to go to school with black kids.  A racist didn't want to compete with black people for jobs.  A racist wanted all the black people shipped back to Africa.  Racists wanted all the black people gone by any means necessary.

Today the word is used as a substitute for hate, hatred or hater.  "You're a racist!" is basically a way of saying, you're a (put color or race here) hater!"  I guess people have learned from their religious training that it's not okay to hate.  I believe the word hate is the most-feared feeling to admit one experiences.  I think people can hate all they want as long as they don't vandalize property or hurt or kill people over it and they can live with the adverse affects on their bodies and social lives.  So, racist = hate = pariah.

This is why certain people call certain other people racists; they want those people outcast.  I don't mind being called a racist.  I don't exactly come online to socialize and gather friends.  It's extremely uncomfortable for me but somehow I have managed to gather a few online friends and I appreciate them.

Race = hate = pariah

I'm not afraid to say I hate someone.  I've done it.  I hate a member of this group with a passion.  What's weird is at the same time I'd miss her if she was gone. Know why?  Because she's not afraid to talk about race which gives me opportunties to talk about race.  That's the only thing my haters (and I don't use the word as a means of villainizing you) get right; my favorite topic is race relations and the lack thereof.  Race relations is not a bad thing to anyone who knows it needs a lot of improving in this country.

I think being called a racist is only really scary for white people.  White people don't want their friends to think poorly of them.  That's one of the few instances of peer pressure of which I approve.  I've learned, from other black people, mind you, to be more senstive and careful using the word because being called a racist can get people fired.  That's hard for me to believe.  Is it really that easy to get someone deemed a racist who isn't?  Is it legal to fire someone for being racist?  Is it really that easy?  I still find it hard to believe but I understand the word actually hurts people and I've never set out to hurt anyone in that way.

I want to say don't be afraid to be called a racist by a black person; no one ever believes us but I respect it makes people feel bad so I won't do it.  I might, however, ask if a person knows a word or a statement could be considered racist.  

That's not an attempt to call anyone a racist, it's more of a heads-up for people who care.  I don't want you to say that in the presence of anyone, black or white, who'd go off on you.  

Ever see those WWYD segments where John Quinones gets someone to say something racist or intolerant to a member of a minority group?  Outrage!  I feel so badly for the "racist" actors who get read up one side and down the other by indignant white people.

Some don't care for my acts of caring wherein I try to warn them not to use certain words or phrases.  I accept that and the resulting insults and accusations of my being the racist.

I don't need to call anyone racist.  It's usually not the right word and I have many other words.  I think people don't believe me when I say I'm perfectly comfortable with the fact some people are racist.  They have a right to be racist.  It's America, I have to respect their equal and civil rights to be whatever they choose and to use the cross any way they choose.

The word racist is so scary even the Klan won't it.  They say, "We are not racists, we just choose to love white people."  

Hey, I can accept the concept of loving people who look and act like you.  Everyone doesn't have to go into interracial relationships or invite Sidney Poitier to dinner.  

I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen or heard any group that talks hatred of other races (yes, including NOI) say outright they are racist.  They don't.  Here's what you'll see on Stormfront's homepage:  

"We are a community of racial realists and idealists. We are White Nationalists who support true diversity and a homeland for all peoples. Thousands of organizations promote the interests, values and heritage of non-White minorities. We promote ours. Yet we are demonized as "racists." 

Stormfront is also one of those, "separate but equal" groups, all of a sudden, like the KKK decided to say it is, some years back.  

I'm really not about name-calling.  I've never thought of the word racist as a slur, but as a mentality or belief or state of being.  If I called someone a satanist they wouldn't go all unhinged and start a name-calling battle or become defensive, they'd laugh.  OR, if they were satanist they'd say, "Yeah...and?"  I kind of feel a racist should be able to have the same reply.  But that's just me.  Maybe I should go to work for the ACLU.

A blast from the past (just for fun).  This is video of a very intelligent man who believes in separate but equal.  He founded Stormfront.  It doesn't sound bad when you say, "separate but equal, does it?  It sounds a litte worse when I say, "equal but separate."  I prefer "intermingled/interracial and equal" but to each his own (literally, for these guys).

I don't expect to be suddenly understood or appreciated for my honesty and pov.  I expect many people will say I do nothing but talk about black and white (as if that's a bad thing).  I expect to be called a racist (it doesn't bother me).  I expect people insist I answer questions that are designed to make me look bad (I'm oh, so good).

Bring it on.  I will choose who to answer and who to ignore.  As a loyal, true blue...uh...I mean true black American, I'll exercise my right to choose whether or not to reply to anyone and you can call me any names you want for ignoring liars and haters.  The ones who come at me the most with lies, accusations and misstating, misquoting and misrepresentations of my words are the ones you can bet believe in "separate but equal" if you know what I mean.

Here's another post for you to put in your goody bag to bring back from the dead in a couple of years, Voldemort.

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jllcali
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM
3 moms liked this
There are important distinctions between racist, bigoted and prejudicial that many people don't realize for various reasons. Often prejudice is labeled as racism and when that happens it usually shuts down meaningful discussion.
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't use the word prejudice?  

If it's considered the same as racism then it doesn't shut down discussion, it brings out the rabble who attack and insult and accuse and lie and...I see what you mean.

Quoting jllcali: There are important distinctions between racist, bigoted and prejudicial that many people don't realize for various reasons. Often prejudice is labeled as racism and when that happens it usually shuts down meaningful discussion.

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly try not to 'hate' anyone (except child molestors and predators, I hate them).   Hate is an evil emotion that often hurts the hater more than the person they hate.  Now, ther are definitely some people that I do not like, but it is because of their actions and character, not because of their skin color or other things that are out of their control.

As far as the whole racist, bigoted, and prejudicial thing, it is often from lack of knowledge or experience and it usually based on fear, not hate.  

My only issue with the whole race war is that it gets so tiring hearing the white man blamed for everything.  Everyone is born free in this country and you can truly create almost any life you wish (unless you are only 5 feet tall and dream of playing in the NBA).   Everyone needs to realize the status of your life is based on your decisions, the people you allow in your life and to influence you and your desire to make changes.   it is easy to sit back, do nothing and complain.  It is much more difficult to work and build something positive, but it sure is worth it in the end.     

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I don't go looking for this stuff, it comes looking for me.

I wanted to show that black people who have accomplished a great deal experience racism so I Googled, "Eric Holder stopped by police" and saw a twitter page.  I only read the 7 tweets(?) on the page and stopped because it was the usual nasty stuff.

Most of us have accomplished things, Quite a few of us have been treated the way Eric Holder's been treated. 

Check out this page, if you want.  No one is blaming the white man for everything, just for the things white men (and women) actually are doing.  

Do these people really believe the Attorney General would say he's been stopped by the cops for dwb or rwb if it wasn't true?  Why?  Why would he do that?  He certainly can't be accused of blaming white people for why he can't get a job and is so poor, kwim?

https://twitter.com/exposeliberals/status/502712056278425600

jllcali
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM
3 moms liked this
I never said anything about you not being able to use the word prejudice, I have no idea how you derived that from what I said.

An example of racism is "white people are the superior race" or "black people are superior to white people". Calling someone racist because they said "white people can't dance" or "black people are obnoxious" is an inaccurate use of the word and only serves to cause problems, not improve anything. The latter statements are prejudicial, but not racist. Again, these are general examples, not intended to be accusatory to anyone in particular.

Quoting JonJon:

If it's considered the same as racism then it doesn't shut down discussion, it brings out the rabble who attack and insult and accuse and lie and...I see what you mean.

Quoting jllcali: There are important distinctions between racist, bigoted and prejudicial that many people don't realize for various reasons. Often prejudice is labeled as racism and when that happens it usually shuts down meaningful discussion.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I was kidding.  Lighten up.  good

Quoting jllcali: I never said anything about you not being able to use the word prejudice, I have no idea how you derived that from what I said. An example of racism is "white people are the superior race" or "black people are superior to white people". Calling someone racist because they said "white people can't dance" or "black people are obnoxious" is an inaccurate use of the word and only serves to cause problems, not improve anything. The latter statements are prejudicial, but not racist. Again, these are general examples, not intended to be accusatory to anyone in particular.
Quoting JonJon:

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM

It's okay to make jokes in this post, tell funny stories of misperceptions, etc.

For instance, back when black people first started wearing Afros my grandmother worked in hotel as a phone operater.  Grandma pressed her hair which was a process of moving a heated metal comb through the hair to straighten it.  

Well, the day was really warm and Grandma's hair sweated out which means her hair went back to its curly state.  Back then some white people thought all people who wore afros were militant blacks.  

Upon seeing her spontaneous curly afro, one of the white hotel guests asked, "Emma!  Are you going black power?"  Knowing that militant is the last thing Grandma was, we all laughed at the idea and the sense of being aghast Grandma was able to convey on behalf of the surprised guest.

You didn't find that funny?  

I guess you had to be there.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM

BTW:  Please feel free to share with me other words you believe are racially offensive to you.  If we can do it, so can you.

I've learned the word prejudice can make people upset enough to close down a post.  Teach me more.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:10 PM
I dont like enough white people to be bothered not liking people I never see.
conweis
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM
I hate when people use the word racist in the work place. It is very easy to get someone fired over and that will stay with you when trying to find another job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN