Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Crewmember On TV's 'COPS' Shot Dead By Police While Filming

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:56 AM
  • 26 Replies

The TV crew member who died was a sound engineer, who holds the microphone during taping. The camera operator was not injured, nor were any police officers.

According to the show’s website, “Cops” crew members wear bullet-proof vests on the job.

The crew has been working in Omaha for much of the summer.

David Brown, president of the Omaha Chamber of Commerce, called the shootings a tragedy.

“We are deeply saddened that this happened and offer condolences to all of the family members involved,” he said.

The shootings occurred after an officer discovered a man, wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and white bandanna, robbing the restaurant, Deputy Police Chief Dave Baker said late Tuesday.

The first officer at the scene called for backup about 9:20 p.m.

The two shooting victims were taken to the Nebraska Medical Center in critical condition. They later died.

While police investigated, Dodge Street was closed between 42nd and 45th Streets. The three-block stretch reopened about 7:30 a.m. today.

Ian Stanley, 24, said he reported to work at the restaurant shortly after the shooting but said officers told him the Wendy’s “wouldn’t be open today because it’s a crime scene.’’

Wendy’s dining area is open until 10 p.m. and the drive-through window shuts at 1 a.m. on weeknights, he said.

The restaurant remained taped off and police investigators were still inside about 8 a.m. The tanning salon next door to the east was also taped off, with several police cruisers and a large crime lab vehicle in the parking lot.

No suspects were considered at large after the shooting.

The identities of the officers involved were not released by midday.

Schmaderer had hoped that the TV show’s taping of Omaha police in action would improve relations with community members.

“(I) want the professionalism of our officers on display for the city and world to see,” Schmaderer said in June.

The longtime reality show had approached the city in the past about taping Omaha officers, but until this year had been turned down.

“Cops” has covered law enforcement agencies in at least 140 U.S. cities and three foreign countries, according to the show’s website. Premiering in March 1989, it was one of the first unscripted reality TV series and is one of the longest-running shows to date. The show is known for its “Bad Boys” theme song.

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/officials-cops-tv-show-crewman-dies-after-being-shot-during/article_a919c242-2d98-11e4-9cee-001a4bcf6878.html

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Iconoclast
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:15 AM
2 moms liked this
Reading the article I noticed that the entire explanation of the shooting was 'yadda, yadda, yadda' over.
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:29 AM

I had heard this on the radio in the car but missed the locale.

Coincidentally, I had just this morning read that Nebraska is the most dangerous place to be black as it has the highest rate of gun deaths in the country!  A little 5-year-old girl was killed in cross-fire but they don't say who was firing.  I'm betting a lot of those deaths they attribute to black-on-black crime was the result of cop ineptitude such as this.

Omaha is where all the blacks are centralized so we see yet another small city that has racial issues.

I'm sorry they OPD wasn't able to prove to the citizens they are doing a good job.

I'm sorry for the boom guy.  Guess they thought he had a gun.  Sure hope he wasn't black because you know I'm going to say they shot him thinking all blacks are criminals.  

http://www.ibtimes.com/omaha-nebraska-most-dangerous-place-america-be-black-1548466

latashac
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 3:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Perhaps the mic resembled a gun. You know cops and their mistakes.
Mommabearbergh
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:11 AM
This incident was a mistake. The bullet went through his arm and into his chest. Its sad he died that way. I hope they they help with some funeral costs though.
PerseyG
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:31 AM
the suspect shot at the cops with a realistic looking air gun. Cops fire back at those who shoot at them. Why wasn't the sound guy kept back at a safe distance, is my question.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM
Im surprised after all these years this is he first one

So sorry for his family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:39 AM
2 moms liked this
They skipped over any explanation of what happened. That's not reporting. That's throwing out bread crumbs to get people stirred up.
highlandmum
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Here is a bit more on it.  It actually tells what happened.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/27/showbiz/cops-crew-member-shot-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

'Cops' crew member killed in police shooting

By Brian Stelter, CNN
updated 7:24 PM EDT, Wed August 27, 2014
Source: KETV
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • A crew member for the TV show was killed while taping "Cops"
  • First time in show's 25-year history that staff member killed during production
  • The investigation into the shooting is ongoing
  • No word whether the show will stay in production

(CNN) -- A crew member working on a taping of "Cops" was inadvertently shot and killed by a police officer during a robbery in Omaha, Nebraska, local officials said Wednesday.

Bryce Dion, an audio technician, is believed to be the first member of the "Cops" production staff killed in the 25-year history of the television show.

The production company behind "Cops," Langley Productions, said in a statement that it was "deeply saddened and shocked by this tragedy and our main concern is helping his family in any way we can."

Dion, 38, had been in Omaha all summer, helping with the production of future "Cops" episodes. The production company described him as a "long term member of the 'Cops' team and a very talented and dedicated person." His resume lists credits on "Cops" dating back to 2009.

Todd Schmaderer, the Omaha police chief, confirmed at a Wednesday afternoon news conference that a bullet fired by an officer struck Dion during a shootout with the robbery suspect, Cortez Washington, who was also killed.

Schmaderer described Dion as a friend to the officers that he'd been embedded with.

"This is as if we lost one of our own," Schmaderer said. "That is the grieving process we're going through right now."

Dion and a cameraman were traveling with police officers who responded to a robbery inside a Wendy's restaurant on Tuesday night. Schmaderer said the suspect, Washington, fired two shots at the responding officers, who responded with a barrage of gunfire.

It was later discovered that Washington had a pellet gun that fired plastic bullets.

As Washington tried to exit the Wendy's, he passed through a vestibule where Dion was positioned. The "Cops" cameraman was crouched down in another part of the restaurant.

After being struck by a single gunshot, Dion "collapsed just inside the east doorway," according to the police chief.

Washington collapsed outside.

Now, as an investigation ensues, the cameraman's footage has become evidence.

"Based on our viewing of the footage, the officers had no choice other than to respond (the way) they did," Schmaderer said, anticipating questions about why so many shots were fired.

When asked at the press conference if the officers could have been "showing off for the cameras," Schmaderer called that "absolutely ridiculous."

"This was a very harrowing situation," he said.

Asked whether "Cops" would stop production in Omaha, the police chief said, "We haven't gotten that far." The investigation is ongoing, he said, and is relying in part on the "Cops" team's footage.

"Mr. Dion played the ultimate price for his service -- to provide the footage of the real-life dangers that law enforcement officers face on a daily basis to television viewers throughout the world," Schmaderer said.

The crew was reportedly scheduled to wrap up production in the coming days.

"I've seen six or seven of the shows that can be aired, and it just shows amazing professionalism," Schmaderer said.

"Cops," often called one of the original reality shows, was televised by the Fox network for 24 years. Last year it shifted over to the cable channel Spike.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Film sets are known for safety issues.  Often grips are paid low (if at all).  It is often the only way for some to get their foot in the door of building a career in film.  How very sad for all involved...

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I'm sorry for his family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)