Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama promises bringing ISIS to justice

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM
  • 61 Replies

Sotloff beheading: Obama promises bringing ISIS to justice

A week after his mother appealed for mercy for her son in a video message, the Islamic State on Tuesday released a video showing the beheading of the American journalist Steven Sotloff. The footage of the beheading was posted two weeks after the release of the video showing the killing of James Foley.

The executioner in the video warned US President Barack Obama that continuing airstrikes against the group in Iraq will be met with the killing of more Western captives. The Islamic State militant said, “I’m back, Obama, and I’m back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State, because of your insistence on continuing your bombings and … on Mosul Dam, despite our serious warnings.” He threatens, “So just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people.”

Responding strongly to the threat, US President Barack Obama on Wednesday said US is not intimidated by the killing of American journalist Steven Sotloff and that justice would be served. He condemned the killing by saying that he was ‘repulsed by the barbarism of the Islamic State’.

The US has continued airstrikes targeting the Islamic State terrorists in Iraq. Obama has ordered another 350 US troops to Baghdad to protect American diplomatic facilities and staff, reported the AFP.

31-year-old Sotloff from Miami freelanced for Time and Foreign Policy magazines. He went missing in Syria in August 2013 and was seen only in the video released last month that showed Foley’s beheading. In that video, Sotloff was threatened with death unless the US stopped airstrikes on the Islamic State.

In the recent video, before Sotloff is beheaded, he says, “Obama, your foreign policy of intervention in Iraq was supposed to be for the preservation of American lives and interests. So why is it that I am having to pay the price of your interference with my life? Am I not an American citizen?” Media reports suggest that Sotloff may have been forced to say so.

Warning Britain and other Governments to back off, the video shows the IS terrorist threatening to kill a British hostage David Haines. David Haines is said to be an ex-British soldier who served for aid organisations. The US State Department said it is believed that “a few” Americans are still being held by the Islamic State group.

Recently, the US airstrikes has helped Iraqi government forces in breaking the Islamic State group’s two-month siege of Amirli – a town where some 15,000 Shiite Turkmens had been stranded.

The beheading of two American journalists Sotloff and James Foley has angered the US lawmakers cutting across party lines. Many are in favour of intensifying the attacks on Islamic State extremists in Iraq.

Florida Governor Rick Scott, a Republican, called for action. “I think I can speak for all Floridians and all Americans when I say that the time for a strategy is now, and part of that strategy needs to include destroying them,” Los Angeles Times quoted him as saying.

Senator Bill Nelson, a Democrat from Sotloff’s home state of Florida, said on Tuesday that he would introduce legislation giving Obama congressional authority for airstrikes against the militants in Syria, part of a growing chorus in Congress for more decisive action. “We must go after ISIS right away because the US is the only one that can put together a coalition that can stop this group that’s intent on barbaric cruelty,” said Nelson, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM
3 moms liked this

One only need compare Cameron's ability to acknowledge and clearly define the terrorist as being Islamist, to Obama who continues to ignore this fact.  If Obama is incapable of acknowledging and clearly defining the type of terrorism the world is facing anything we do will be in vain and a loosing battle. 

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Maybe Britain will take care of ISIS. That would be nice.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

One only need compare Cameron's ability to acknowledge and clearly define the terrorist as being Islamist, to Obama who continues to ignore this fact.  If Obama is incapable of acknowledging and clearly defining the type of terrorism the world is facing anything we do will be in vain and a loosing battle. 

You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them.

- Iga

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Even now there are segments of society right here in America who can not discern between calling out Islamsic EXTREMISTS, like ISIS, and criticizing all of Islam. Even when the word extremist is used to specify, many PC assholes still scream "stop labeling ALL Muslims". However,the reverse is true, too. There are segments of society who hear about behvior of Islamic EXTREMISTS and DO assume it applies to ALL of Islam.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:52 AM
I doubt it but we can hope.

Quoting VooDooB:

Maybe Britain will take care of ISIS. That would be nice.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:53 AM
3 moms liked this

Obama Just Contradicted Himself About His Strategy Against ISIS

The United States plans to "degrade and destroy" ISIS until it is no longer a force in the Middle East, President Barack Obama said on Wednesday. 

But later in the same news conference, the president said the aim of a potential international coalition to combat ISIS was to reach "the point where it is a manageable problem."

The apparent contradiction comes days after the president said, in a remark that earned him a heap of criticism, "We don't have a strategy yet" about confronting the extremist group over time.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-contradicts-himself-on-isis-strategy-2014-9#ixzz3CGDXy1i6

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM
3 moms liked this
I promised my dd a pink pony when she was 2. She's 25 and still waiting.

As far as Obama is concerned, hes out of time, and credit. I don't believe he is sincere after we have just been told that he knew of ISIS over a year ago, asked no questions and only acted when they took over chunks of the ME this summer. It is as if he purposely sat back and allowed the this to happen.
amberklo
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM
There is no problem that can't be solved with the use of high explosives according my husband who is x military lol but honestly this is just getting crazy. I hope something will be do e soon at this point I hope they figure out a good approach to all this.
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM

He had more important priorities last year. 

Quoting MeAndTommyLee: I promised my dd a pink pony when she was 2. She's 25 and still waiting. As far as Obama is concerned, hes out of time, and credit. I don't believe he is sincere after we have just been told that he knew of ISIS over a year ago, asked no questions and only acted when they took over chunks of the ME this summer. It is as if he purposely sat back and allowed the this to happen.

- Iga

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I wish but he has no idea and doesn't have the balls

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Sotloff beheading: Obama promises bringing ISIS to justice

It's not a justice problem - it's war.

We are not going to get him to go to serious war against Islam - he is sympathetic to their cause.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)