Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Conservative Christians plan protest, boycott of Dallas Cowboys over Michael Sam signing

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM
  • 144 Replies

Conservative Christians plan protest, boycott of Dallas Cowboys over Michael Sam signing

By Travis Gettys
Thursday, September 4, 2014 14:07 EDT
Michael Sam via Facebook

•  

Right-wing Christians plan to protest the Dallas Cowboys signing of Michael Sam, the first openly gay NFL player.

The outside linebacker was cut last week by the St. Louis Rams, which had drafted him in the seventh round out of the University of Missouri, and picked up by the defense-starved Cowboys.

He will join the team's practice squad if he passes a physical exam.

The move angered anti-LGBT Christians, who had threatened to boycott the Rams before Sam was released.

"We cannot just stand idly by as Christian values and morals are trampled," said Jack Burkman, the GOP lobbyist working to keep Sam out of the NFL. "We will do whatever we can to preserve family values in this country."

Burkman has drafted legislation barring gay players from the NFL, but his brother said his efforts were a publicity stunt to draw clients to his lobbying firm.

"I think the idea that he is pushing legislation that is just hurtful and ridiculous is just plain stupid," said Jim Burkman, an anesthesiologist who is openly gay. "He is not a legislator and he can't really push legislation. I don't think there are any cosponsors for a bill. It is just an attention grab and a media grab to pander to those folks who pay him to lobby on their behalf."

The conservative lobbyist claims his threatened boycott would have cost the Rams "tens of millions of dollars," a fate he said now awaits Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

"Jerry Jones has betrayed American values, Christian values, and his own city's values," Burkman said. "The people of Dallas - and Christians all across this land - are about to make him pay a huge financial price. The Cowboys are no longer America's team."

Fan reaction in Dallas has been mixed, reported KTVT-TV, with some recognizing the team's defense needs all the help it can get, but others are uncomfortable rooting for a gay player.

"I don't want my kids looking up to me and say, ‘Daddy, what does that mean that he's gay?'" one fan said during a radio call-in show.

Demonstrators plan to gather outside AT&T Stadium to protest Sam's signing.

by on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

"We cannot just stand idly by as Christian values and morals are trampled," said Jack Burkman, the GOP lobbyist working to keep Sam out of the NFL. "We will do whatever we can to preserve family values in this country."

haha..him being GAY

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM
6 moms liked this

of course.  because they cant just let other people live their lives.  they want to make sure every persona nd every organization is as intolernat as they are. disgusting humans.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

He's ever really difned himself by his sexuality has he?

So why are they?

YAY hypocrites!

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM
16 moms liked this
Do they boycott teams over the players accused of rape or spousal abuse or sexual harassment?
ashellbell
by shellbark on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

How stupid.

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM

nope.  not that i have ever heard of/seen.
priorities.   

Quoting jessilin0113: Do they boycott teams over the players accused of rape or spousal abuse or sexual harassment?

ashellbell
by shellbark on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:40 PM
14 moms liked this

We're called HOMOsapiens, not HETEROsapiens.

Suck on that, bigots.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Yeah I don't get it either.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quote:

haha..him being GAY

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Stupid.
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think the Cowboys are worried.  This guy has LOST business since this pursuit.  This is really a non event.  I don't see any other conservative group joining him. 

I believe this to be more of a "one man" small few crusade that some will seek to use to portray the majority of Christians as a follower of this thinking. 

It's good for Sam to go back to Texas.  It's probably the only place that would take him and he has a decent football history in Texas.  Hopefully something comes of him and he reaches a potential that is equal to the hype he has been given. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN