Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Study links marijuana use by married couples to decrease in domestic violence

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 1:19 AM
  • 7 Replies

By Arturo Garcia
Thursday, September 4, 2014 21:35 EDT

A man smokes cannabis at an exhibition in Spain in September 2012 [AFP]

Researchers at Yale, Rutgers and the University of Buffalo found that marijuana use among married couples decreased the amount of domestic violence incidents over a nine-year period, the Huffington Post reported.

The study, published in the journal Psychology and Addictive Behaviors, followed 634 couples during the first nine years of their marriage and measured instances of intimate partner violence (IPV), defined as acts of physical aggression like hitting, choking or slapping a partner, on an annual basis.

“We found that more frequent marijuana use by husbands and wives predicted less frequent IPV perpetration by husbands,” the study’s abstract read. “Husbands’ marijuana use also predicted less frequent IPV perpetration by wives.”

Researchers also found that couples in which both spouses smoked the drug reported the least amount of violence.

“It is possible, for example, that — similar to a drinking partnership — couples who use marijuana together may share similar values and social circles, and it is this similarity that is responsible for reducing the likelihood of conflict,” lead author Philip H. Smith told the Buffalo News.

Lead investigator Kenneth Leonard noted, however, that the study looked at behavioral patterns, rather than “whether using marijuana on a given day reduces the likelihood of violence at that time.”

The results ran counter to other studies connecting substance abuse involving alcohol to increased rates of domestic violence.

http://www.rawstory.com/...

by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Patti-Gee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 6:13 AM
2 moms liked this

We both smoke, and neither of us gets twitchy at others.    High or not he is a good man. 

meriana
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM
3 moms liked this
Personally I think it has far less to do with whether or not they smoke MJ and far more to do with their maturity level, impulse control, self-control, mutual respect, ability to compromise and their ability to discuss and resolve issues/problems in a constructive manner rather than dissolving into a temper tantrum and acting in anger.
TwoPennies
by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Well yeah....they'll both be too busy munching Doritos to worry about fighting with each other ;)
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

If I'm with a man who I feel or he feels needs it's safer if we're both high in order to not get into a big tussle, it's time to get out.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Unless there isn't enough munchies for each.

Quoting TwoPennies: Well yeah....they'll both be too busy munching Doritos to worry about fighting with each other ;)

viv212
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
My ex was an abuser and he smoked weed. I rarely did.

Now I'm with a man who's never even put me down let alone get physical and he never smokes and I do daily.

I'm sure there's always exceptions though.
littlemum41
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Quoting meriana: Personally I think it has far less to do with whether or not they smoke MJ and far more to do with their maturity level, impulse control, self-control, mutual respect, ability to compromise and their ability to discuss and resolve issues/problems in a constructive manner rather than dissolving into a temper tantrum and acting in anger.

Yep. Well said.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN