Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fast Food Workers want $15 An Hour

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 8:11 AM
  • 198 Replies

Do you think they should be making $15 an hour? 

link

NEW YORK (AP) -- Police handcuffed dozens of protesters who blocked traffic in dozens of cities across the country on Thursday in their latest attempt to escalate efforts to get McDonald's, Burger King and other fast-food companies to pay employees at least $15 an hour.

The protests, which were planned by labor organizers for about 150 cities nationwide throughout Thursday, are part of a campaign called "Fight for $15."

The "Fight for $15" campaign, which is backed financially by the Service Employees International Union and others, comes at a time when the wage gap between the poor and the rich has become a hot political issue. Many fast-food workers do not make much more than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, which adds up to about $15,000 a year for 40 hours a week.

The protests have not resulted in workers getting higher wages, but it has gotten media coverage. In Chicago, for instance, reporters observed supporters arriving on buses and sitting on a street between a McDonald's and Burger King, chanting: "We shall not be moved."

"The impact is in bringing it into the public attention," said Chris Rhomberg, an associate professor of sociology at Fordham University in New York.

President Barack Obama has taken notice too. He mentioned the campaign at a Labor Day appearance in Milwaukee. "If I were busting my butt in the service industry and wanted an honest day's pay for an honest day's work, I'd join a union," Obama said, as he pushed Congress to raise the minimum wage.

~Parenting is not a Competitive Sport~
by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
codfish
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 8:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Are the employees doing a job worth $15 an hour? No, they aren't
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM
4 moms liked this

I think they have the right to sell thier labor for whatever they think it's worth and I don't have any problem with a worker sharing what they'd like to be paid.

Iconoclast
by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 8:45 AM
3 moms liked this
They should be paid more, I don't know if it should be $15. In my opinion it shouldn't be les than $10. The front line workers take most of the risk. When a company doesn't do as well as thought or goes under the higher ups have their severance packages and golden parachutes while frontline workers are left to go it alone. Most of the time management has no idea how to complete the regular tasks of the frontline. And truth be told minimum wage is the minimum one can make and live it is not (nor should it be)a slave wage.
candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 5, 2014 at 8:54 AM
3 moms liked this

I say give it to them and let them decide which of them is going to lose their jobs because they won't keep them at that pay.  They will have to let many go when the customers quit coming because the prices have gone up so much.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 9:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Part of the problem is that jobs in McDonalds, Burger King and other like establishments have traditionally been filled by high school students looking for spending money.  These days it's not just high school students working at them, those employees often include adults trying to support themselves and/or their families at whatever type of work is available. As for whether or not the work they do is worth $15 an hour, keep in mind that if those who handle, prepare and cook food don't do so carefully and properly, people get sick, sometimes VERY sick. Believe it or not, there is a certain amount of skill required to cooking anything for public consumption and not only cook the food  but cook it properly especially when the establishment is full of waiting customers.  As for people saying the work someone does cooking burgers and other fast food items isn't worth X amount of dollars, it's pretty much like saying the work one does in any other type of employment isn't worth the wage(s) they are paid, for instance, is what a pro football player does really worth the millions some of them earn, is the work a secretary does really worth what she earns, the wage in any employment can be debated.  It's all pretty subjective. but does impact one's ability to support him/herself.

Liz132
by Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:01 AM
7 moms liked this
I'm tired of these big companies making huge profits while not paying their workers enough to take care of themselves. Let them protest. I don't think they are going to make $15 an hour but it brings attention to an issue so many Americans face.
meriana
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:45 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting candlegal:

I say give it to them and let them decide which of them is going to lose their jobs because they won't keep them at that pay.  They will have to let many go when the customers quit coming because the prices have gone up so much.

It's weird that when a pro-athelete or even a team as a whole, (or those in the entertainment field) demand(s) more money the public generally stands behind them. Thought on the issue tends to go along the lines of, well the owner makes millions if not billions from the efforts of the team as a whole, and of course the star players so why shouldn't the players, those who are actually doing the work, get a bigger piece of that pie. The same could be said for pretty much any other employement. If the owner, CEO, etc. are making millions and more, why shouldn't the employees, the ones actually doing the work, get a bigger piece of THAT pie. Instead, however, they tend to be looked on as greedy or it's said the work they do is only worth X amount of dollars and no more. The general public should be standing behind them just as they would and do for a pro-athelete, actor, actress, or any other person whose employment is in the field of entertainment or atheletics,  after all their job, the work they do, is no less important and in most cases is far more important since they provide more than entertainment, they make the goods and provide the services people want and/or need.
As for the establishment losing customers due to higher prices, I doubt they'd really lose that many. Those who enjoy fast food are still going to purchase it as well as those who are in a hurry to get on with other things  and don't want to go home and cook a meal.  Take a look at pro-teams and the way in which a ticket to a game has gone up. A ticket to a pro-game can cost hundreds, a ticket to see a popular singer or band perform is pretty pricy also and seems to get more expensive every year, yet the stadiums, ice arenas, etc.  are still filled.

LunieLoopen
by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM
6 moms liked this
Why should someone with barely a high school diploma or GED (sometimes not even those!) make the same or more than someone with a certification or associate's degree?
Quoting Liz132: I'm tired of these big companies making huge profits while not paying their workers enough to take care of themselves. Let them protest. I don't think they are going to make $15 an hour but it brings attention to an issue so many Americans face.
kwhitney333
by Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a myth, and if a customer stops coming to get a burger that would be on average .60 cents more, then they are probably not making more than min wage....Bottom line this is America and if someone who works full time and live at povertyy level that is not America....There is no evidence that raising the min wage level would lose jobs in fact it is quite the opposite. States that have raised the min have increased jobs....

Quoting candlegal:

Liz132
by Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I think everyone who works full time should make enough to provide for their basic needs. I'm not for company executives making fortunes while treating their employees like dirt. How does someone "barely" have a school diploma? Either they have one or they don't.

Quoting LunieLoopen: Why should someone with barely a high school diploma or GED (sometimes not even those!) make the same or more than someone with a certification or associate's degree?

Quoting Liz132: I'm tired of these big companies making huge profits while not paying their workers enough to take care of themselves. Let them protest. I don't think they are going to make $15 an hour but it brings attention to an issue so many Americans face.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN