Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reality check : Egypt

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:43 AM
  • 11 Replies

From a poll last year by Pew:

Democracy

59%: Say democracy is preferable to any other form of government.

22%: Say a non-democratic system can be preferable in certain circumstances

Islam in politics

95%: Say it's good that Islam plays a large role in politics

85%: Say Islam's influence on politics is good

48%: Say Islam currently play a large role in Egyptian politics

Islamist extremism

80%: Think suicide bombings are never or rarely justified.

20%: Think suicide bombings are sometimes or often justified

70%: Are concerned or very concerned about Islamist extremism in the world

61%: Are concerned or very concerned about Islamist extremism in the Egypt

Traditional Muslim practices

54%: Believe men and women should be segregated in the workplace

82%: Believe adulterers should be stoned

84%: Believe apostates from Islam should face the death penalty

77%: Believe thieves should be flogged or have their hands cut off

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Not very comforting percents.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this

What is the reality check?

JustCJ
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Right?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

PerseyG
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Seriously though. Everyone knows that there are places in Egypt that are very fundamentalist. Just like there are places full of fundies here in 'Murica.

Go to Bob Jones University and poll the students. I bet the answers would be the same but Christian rather than Muslim.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

You are comparing a Country to a University?  I see you too don't get the reality check....

Quoting PerseyG: Seriously though. Everyone knows that there are places in Egypt that are very fundamentalist. Just like there are places full of fundies here in 'Murica. Go to Bob Jones University and poll the students. I bet the answers would be the same but Christian rather than Muslim.
Quoting 12hellokitty:

PerseyG
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I was agreeing with you....but if you want to eat your own, that's on you.

My point was that everyone knows that Egypt has pockets of fundies just like everywhere else that, when polled, would be extreme in their views.

This poll could have been taken in a small village that is very very fundamentalist rather than a large city like Cairo.

That would be akin to polling a select group of religious people on their home turf..ie an ultra-christian university.

If you are hankering for an argument, look elsewhere. The idiot over in the Beyonce thread plum wore me out.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

You are comparing a Country to a University?  I see you too don't get the reality check....

Quoting PerseyG: Seriously though. Everyone knows that there are places in Egypt that are very fundamentalist. Just like there are places full of fundies here in 'Murica.

Go to Bob Jones University and poll the students. I bet the answers would be the same but Christian rather than Muslim.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

JustCJ
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:03 PM
I see the idiocy is at an all time high in this post today.
survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM

yep I have family who has been employed by Bob Jones. I am familiar with that school.

Quoting PerseyG: Seriously though. Everyone knows that there are places in Egypt that are very fundamentalist. Just like there are places full of fundies here in 'Murica. Go to Bob Jones University and poll the students. I bet the answers would be the same but Christian rather than Muslim.
Quoting 12hellokitty:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:27 PM

The link in he OP doesn't go directly to the sited poll, so I have no idea on the way polling was done.  And no I wasn't saying the poll shows only small pockets support such results.  When people from all over the globe are traveling to Middle Eastern and African countries to fight with Islamic extremists who hold such views it's more then a small pocket here and there.....

Quoting PerseyG: I was agreeing with you....but if you want to eat your own, that's on you. My point was that everyone knows that Egypt has pockets of fundies just like everywhere else that, when polled, would be extreme in their views. This poll could have been taken in a small village that is very very fundamentalist rather than a large city like Cairo. That would be akin to polling a select group of religious people on their home turf..ie an ultra-christian university. If you are hankering for an argument, look elsewhere. The idiot over in the Beyonce thread plum wore me out.
Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM

This is Egypt, correct?

It's an interesting lesson in sociology, but what does this have to do with us and our place in the world? When I say us, I guess I mean the West generally, that does not conform to such ideology.

Individuals are always going to be somewhat different, but you will always find similarities from what country you're in, what state (or region) you're in, what town you're in, and what family you're in.

While I don't agree with practically anything in your post, especially disagreeing with Traditional Muslim practices, it's not my job to tell them over in their country what to do or what to believe or how to live.

It's up to their own people to effect the kind of change they want over in their country. In America, we used to traditionally follow the principle that we should not engage in foreign entanglements.

The role of our government is traditionally to protect us from enemies both foreign and domestic.

Sometimes that sentiment is stretched a bit to include things that I don't think it initially meant. Such as ideologies that appear to be dangerous to us. But my opinion is, instead of trying to change the whole country -which seems rash and ridiculous- our responsibility is to live and let live, and keep troops here to protect us when those of foreign and strange ideologies come to give us problems.

Otherwise, while I sympathize with those the world over suffering from one injustice or another, I think we have to realize that the West is not Atlas, that we cannot sustain the world nor save it from itself, and we should leave well enough alone.

Not sure what you were looking for as a comment, but there you go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)