Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help me answer this question for my daughter:Why art is important?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:56 PM
  • 11 Replies

Why art is important?

Please give me some ideas. My daughter wants to write an answer for  joining junior art honor society.

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kathleen92
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Art is important because it shows the true beauty and meaning of peoples art work it is something people enjoy doing making art to express themself and heal their soul and make them feel good about themself.i would know before my daughter came i tried to draw as much as i could i love it and i miss it so much
JTE11
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Art is important because human beings are an expressive bunch and sometimes words alone can't convey it all.  People don't need to speak the same language to be able to share ideas and emotions through art. Art shares a part of yourself, brings awareness to cultures, it opens up discussion, even helps with mental health by giving people a focus and a purpose. In child development art helps with motor development, spacial awareness, social and even emotional development, creativity, and generally correlates with greater academic achievement overall. There is more I could say but maybe this is enough for a start?

Shoota
by Lauren on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
She should be asking herself why art is important to her personally, and what it means to express herself through art and why it is an important out lit for her personally.
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Art is important over all because it opens parts of the mind that other things can not.. Music and the Arts helps children express themselves in ways they might not other wise be able too.. However the Question that is being asked isn't something we can answer. Your daughter has to answer that question for herself. Its more about Why she Feels its important.. Everyone on here can tell you and your daughter why we feel its important or Why its proven to be important However we can not answer The WHY she herself personally needs to answer.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
People always seems to put "art" in terms like "passion," "beauty," "love," "emotions," or "honor to divinity," or such. Quite frankly; they're wrong, art isn't any of those things, people are those "things."

People are rational beings; but, they're not solely rational in fact they're more often than not, quite irrational. Mankind isn't born fully rational, we're born with only primal instinct as our only guide. Even the most smartest among us wasn't born with the knowledge of the theory of relativity ... the person has to learn the science. It's not the calculator that makes the science it's the scientist using the calculator that makes the science.

So just like a scientist isn't born with the knowledge of science; so isn't a person born with a knowledge of passion, beauty, etc., yet all those "things" are needed for a human to live a full life. Art needs to be learned and understood so we can live a passionate life, a beautiful life, a loving life ... a full life.
PamR
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Art can speak to your soul, your spirituality, help you express emotions. Children who participate in the arts (visual, music or drama) also do better in core classes they take in school

GirlWithANikon
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Art is important because it shows both expressive speech and critical thinking. It teaches us to view things differently and completely, which comes very much in handy in this entrepreneurial world of ours. Art is more than just a painting, I don't think I have ever really come into a work of art that was telling a story or hiding some sort of symbolic idea. Art teaches understanding of people, places, things just like textbooks. It also lets us visit places, unfortunatly I'll probably never see an african safari at sunset in person.

Art can also be physically useful, as it comes in many forms such as metal work that can even be used for fixing stuff. Or painted landscapes and maps which literally can be used for tracking and understanding locations if you needed/wanted. Art can teach math, I stupidly took a class learning to draw and you need to learn a lot about angles, measurments, etc. I didn't realize that. It enhances memory IMO, you study something and learn the details, it is not easy to draw a place or person who is not directly in front of you which they/it often is not.

A lot of art tells history. We all know why history is important. Art is culture. We also know what makes culture important.   To top it off its fun and creative and so it teaches easier than a lot of other methods. It speaks to people.  

lancet98
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Art  is important because it allows people to express their feelings and experience and share it with others in a way that reaches past many limitations of spoken and written communication.

meriana
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

All of the above responses. Art can tell us a lot about earlier civilizations, how they lived, what was important to them, etc. It is also a means of sharing ideas, and learning new/different ways of doing things. 

susannah2000
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the important question is why your DAUGHTER thinks it's important. Why are you doing her work for her, especially if she wants to join the honor society?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)