Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My local current event. Cinema prank gone too far

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM
  • 12 Replies
This is where we go watch movies. I'm so glad my family wasnt there.

Do you think the manager was back-pedaling?

Was this prank in poor taste given the movie theater massacre several years ago?

"Several of them climbed over seats to try to get out of the theater," Schmidt said. "When I first saw him, I really just kind of thought it was a joke. Then it kind of bothered me a little bit when he went to the front of the theater, and looked at us. I thought, well, they're either carrying the joke a little two far, or he's going to pull a gun out and we're all going to be killed."

Tom Euton is the General Manager at Portsmouth Cinemas. He says the actor dressed as Jason simply made a mistake.

"The actor had walked accidentally walked into the wrong theater," Euton said. "It wasn't meant as a prank or nothing. Just somebody walking around to take pictures with the kids and teenagers. They go into the scary movies that are playing, and we just trying to celebrate Halloween here."

Euton is now apologizing, saying he never meant for the situation to go this far.

"No harm was meant," Euton said. "We in no way meant to hurt anyone's feelings or upset anybody, and we are super, super sorry for anything that went wrong."

Schmidt says she's just glad no one got hurt.

"A couple people came back into the theater after everything had cleared up, and one of the ladies said 'of all the nights for me not to be packing my weapon' " Schmidt said. "So, then I'm thinking that poor actor. He was hired to come and do this job, and what if someone would have shot him."

Euton says he can see why some people were upset, and admits the theater should have handled it differently.

"They do have a point, and were sorry," Euton said. "Maybe we should have had made it more publicly clear that this was going on in the theater."

Portsmouth Police Department confirms that one call was made to 911. Movie-goers say it only took a matter of minutes for Portsmouth Police to show up and check things out. Investigators decided not to file charges in this case.

Euton says of the estimated 60 people watching the movie, only about 15 asked for, and received their money back. Euton says the theater has canceled having any more actors dressed in costumes showing up during movies.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Police-Called-After-Scare-at-Movie-Theater-279199001.html?device=phone
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
"Of all nights for me not to be packing my weapon"

^^ pretty much sums up the danger in this situation
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

That man is damn lucky he is breathing with all those people out there who carry and shot first.

This was an incredibly stupid thing to do. The theater was wrong and that actor should have made damn sure the public was aware he was hired to do this.

The entire situation, easily avoided and should have been.

Idiots.

jllcali
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:56 AM
That is a very disturbing statement for someone to have made

Quoting Stephanie329: "Of all nights for me not to be packing my weapon"

Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM
I agree. This is an extremely gun heavy area. I'm surprised no one opened fire. I shudder to thin if this had happened 10 days ago, while myself and my 2 kids were there.

It would be scary to see the guy, and scarier to be in the line of fire.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

That man is damn lucky he is breathing with all those people out there who carry and shot first.

This was an incredibly stupid thing to do. The theater was wrong and that actor should have made damn sure the public was aware he was hired to do this.

The entire situation, easily avoided and should have been.

Idiots.

Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM
You're right. That man is lucky to be alive.

Quoting jllcali: That is a very disturbing statement for someone to have made

jllcali
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Good thing it didn't happen in Florida. Someone would have been able to shoot him and say they were scared, then get away with it.

Quoting Stephanie329: You're right. That man is lucky to be alive.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM
I would not go back.
Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM
I was thinking the same.

I kind of feel like they'd gotten away with it here too.

Quoting jllcali: Good thing it didn't happen in Florida. Someone would have been able to shoot him and say they were scared, then get away with it.

Quoting Stephanie329: You're right. That man is lucky to be alive.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I don't know what is scarier, living in Portsmouth, Ohio or an actor walking around a poorly managed theatre finding himslef in the wrong theatre scaring people...  

Used to live near Portsmouth. Bleh...  Back asswards, depressing place.  

Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Small world! I don't live in Portsmouth, but a couple towns over. Do you know of Wheelrsburg?

Quoting jcrew6:

I don't know what is scarier, living in Portsmouth, Ohio or an actor walking around a poorly managed theatre finding himslef in the wrong theatre scaring people...  

Used to live near Portsmouth. Bleh...  Back asswards, depressing place.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)