• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Violent Mentally Handicapped Student

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:23 AM
  • 8 Replies

The other day I was at my daughter's school for their Halloween parade/parties. There was a group of mentally handicapped children that were walking around for the parade. One particular boy was probably in fourth grade and had quite the "build" to him. He was a big boy (not fat, just big in size). While they were walking them around, he was constantly pushing the other small children (my daughter is in kindergarden). Between that point and when we were watching all the kids in the hallway, he had pushed 4 kids and 3 adults. I was one of the adults. He walked by and shoved my shoulder. This was not a friendly shove, it was a very forceful shove that pushed me up against the wall and caused pain. It was the kind of shove that if an adult had done to me, I probably would have shoved back. The teachers that were with him did not say anything nor did they do anything any of the times he had done this. By no means am I directing this post to all handicapped kids, however after witnessing/experiencing this, I do not think children like him (physically violent), should be in a building with other kids. If he was able to shove a 29 year old female then what could he do to a small 5 year old? And has he ever gotten more violent? Thoughts please.....

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM

If he is violent he should not be there, mental handicap or not. Did you report your concerns to teachers and principal?

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM
If the child is developmentally delayed, they often times don't realize that what they are doing is wrong and they can be extremely strong.

How do you know this boy was DD?

They have a right to public education just as much as everyone else. Sounds like a supervision problem.
canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I work with kids with special needs at the high school level. What you described is not acceptable, and should have been addressed by staff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollyann85
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I'm assuming DD stands for disabled or something? I'm going to try to word this as sensative as possible - he was in the room with kids who were obviously handicapped. You can just tell. He had zero emotion throughout the whole parade, even when he was shoving people.

Quoting muslimahpj: If the child is developmentally delayed, they often times don't realize that what they are doing is wrong and they can be extremely strong. How do you know this boy was DD? They have a right to public education just as much as everyone else. Sounds like a supervision problem.

canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM
DD - developmentally delayed

Quoting hollyann85:

I'm assuming DD stands for disabled or something? I'm going to try to word this as sensative as possible - he was in the room with kids who were obviously handicapped. You can just tell. He had zero emotion throughout the whole parade, even when he was shoving people.

Quoting muslimahpj: If the child is developmentally delayed, they often times don't realize that what they are doing is wrong and they can be extremely strong. How do you know this boy was DD? They have a right to public education just as much as everyone else. Sounds like a supervision problem.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I would have reported it. He obviously needs more supervision.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Those teachers are wrong. They shouldn't let this kid be violent. The sad fact about all of this, majority of people don't care. There is so much ignorance about autism and other mental/cognitive/developmental disabilities that many of these teachers don't get proper education. They don't know what to do, or they simply don't care. There is little to no help for parents and teachers. Politicians don't care. They all get fat off their pay checks while programs for these kids get cut and done away with because they don't care. It's frustrating. Trust me. Talk to the principal about what happened. Talk to someone who will listen to your complaint. But I'm going to be honest, nothing will be done. The teachers will go about in complete ignorance in not correcting or deflecting this behavior.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM

What you are saying you witnessed should never be acceptable, regardless of the age of the student.

While I absolutely understand every child deserves an education, there comes a time when some students should not be in the mainstream classes or school.  Easier said than done, I realize.

I would have spoken with the Principal to see what, if any, plan there is concerning this boy and his actions.  Granted, I realize only so much can be shared for legal reasons.  Even so, violent students, mentally handicapped or otherwise, who pose a threat should be taken seriously.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)