Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maryland School Attack Plot Foiled After Teen Caught: WHY IS IT SO EASY for them to get guns!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Maryland School Attack Plot Foiled After Teen Caught: Police

A rash of car robberies in suburban Baltimore led police to uncover an alleged school shooting and bombing plot just two days before the planned spree. Sash Alexander Nemphos, 16, was charged Monday as an adult after Baltimore County cops said they found weapons in his Monkton home, including a handgun and materials to make homemade explosives, reported NBC affiliate WBAL. Detectives say they nabbed Nemphos after investigating a series of nearby car break-ins on Saturday and getting tipped off by neighbors.

Upon questioning at his home, police said, Nemphos confessed to planning to kill people at George Washington Carver Center for the Arts and Technology, where he is a sophomore. He had taken a handgun with him on Friday stashed inside of his backpack, but decided to put off an attack until Monday, police added.

Investigators say Nemphos revealed the weapons to them on Saturday but didn't provide a motive for the plot. He remains held without bail and was initially taken for a mental health evaluation.

About an hour-and-a-half north in suburban Philadelphia, another suspected school shooting was thwarted Monday when a 17-year-old was arrested in Radnor Township, police said. The unnamed senior at Radnor High School detailed in a notebook that she was influenced by the 1999 Columbine High School massacre and wanted to become the first female mass murderer, police said. The girl was arrested and will be charged as a juvenile for making terroristic threats, according to NBC Philadelphia.

Sash Alexander Nemphos Baltimore County Police
Sash Alexander Nemphos, the 16-year-old boy charged as a juvenile after several explosive devices and a gun were found in his home.
- Erik Ortiz
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

WTH is wrong with thesekids and WHY is it so EASY for them to get weapons???

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I'm glad for once cops are the good guys and not being accused of targeting innocent victims...and if she's paid more attention in school she'd have known she wasn't going to be the first female mass murderer.

~Parenting is not a Competitive Sport~
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

WTH is wrong with thesekids and WHY is it so EASY for them to get weapons???

Because the people that own weapons often times own lots of them- too many to manage 100% of the time. People who own weapons also ensure that their kids are comfortable handing weapons. Most teens are not stupid and many are non-compliant.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this

This truly scares the hell out of me.

There is a group of kids at my daughter's school who....hell, I can't even describe what I think of them, they make me sick.  Their actions and their words.  What is even more concerning are their parents.  They are no better.  If they are not taught and held accountable at home and such, it doesn't surprise me that they are bullies and violent and have no thought for any one.

This can happen any where at any time.  

I am so glad these plans were stopped.  I have no issues with that kid being tried as an adult.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 6, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Quote:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

There is a group of kids at my daughter's school who....hell, I can't even describe what I think of them, they make me sick.  Their actions and their words.  What is even more concerning are their parents.  They are no better.  If they are not taught and held accountable at home and such, it doesn't surprise me that they are bullies and violent and have no thought for any one.

I am so glad these plans were stopped.  I have no issues with that kid being tried as an adult.

Sounds like he's talking

I wouldn't ever let him back in my home ...

Documents: Teen planned attack at Maryland school

Teen Arrested After Police Thwart Planned Attack At Carver Tech

Sash Nemphos is pictured in this handout booking photo provided by the Baltimore County police depar ...

MONKTON, Md. (AP) - A Maryland teenager told police he planned to use a stolen handgun to kill his parents, then drive to his high school and kill students and teachers as revenge for years of bullying he suffered, according to court documents released Wednesday.

Sash Alexander Nemphos, 16, of Monkton, is charged as an adult, Baltimore County Police said in a tweet. The charges include possession of a destructive device, having a dangerous weapon on school property and theft, according to the probable cause documents.

Nemphos was confronted Saturday by police over thefts from a car and business, including a handgun. After asking him about the stolen gun several times, the 10th-grader, who officers said was clearly intoxicated, told police he was going to take the gun, drive to his school Monday, shoot the school officer, and then take the officer's gun to "kill as many teachers and students as he could."

The documents say the teen also said he had made several bombs to blow up George Washington Carver Center for Arts and Technology.

Police recovered from his home a handgun, three crude, homemade explosives, a suicide note, and a journal with all his plans, the probable cause documents said. He was arrested at his home.

Nemphos told officers he had intended to go through with his plan on Halloween and had taken the gun in his backpack to school. But he had forgotten the bombs so he aborted his plan, he said. He also said he was too drunk to carry out the plan, the documents said.

He said he was going to try again Monday and would stay sober to do it, the documents said.

Nemphos told police he had been bullied for years and has told teachers, but nothing was ever done.

A woman who answered the phone at Nemphos' address hung up when asked about the case.

TriggerQueen
    by Member on Nov. 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    1 mom liked this

This case is exactly why the reporting of stolen firearms is SO important! It appears that report is why he was found out. Kids will steal whatever is neccassery to do what they plan to do but in this case the system worked like it was supposed to and the report was filed and got the kid caught.

momtimesx4
    by on Nov. 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Many times they steal them....either from a stranger or from someone they know.  More often than not, they steal them from family members, either by being sneaky or breaking open the RSC that contains them.

But by the time they get around to stealing them, there are more problems afoot than just stealing.  What event(s) took place that would actually cause them to steal them?

Seasidegirl
    by on Nov. 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Part of this, I think, like crazy adults, they realize they will get national or even international attention.

QueenBarbie
    by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Who is raising these kids??

OMG he was going to shoot his parents? How do you miss your kid being that crazy???

FromAtoZ
    by AllieCat on Nov. 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quote:Quoting FromAtoZ:

Sounds like he's talking

I wouldn't ever let him back in my home ...

Documents: Teen planned attack at Maryland school

Sash Nemphos is pictured in this handout booking photo provided by the Baltimore County police depar ...

MONKTON, Md. (AP) - A Maryland teenager told police he planned to use a stolen handgun to kill his parents, then drive to his high school and kill students and teachers as revenge for years of bullying he suffered, according to court documents released Wednesday.

Sash Alexander Nemphos, 16, of Monkton, is charged as an adult, Baltimore County Police said in a tweet. The charges include possession of a destructive device, having a dangerous weapon on school property and theft, according to the probable cause documents.

Nemphos was confronted Saturday by police over thefts from a car and business, including a handgun. After asking him about the stolen gun several times, the 10th-grader, who officers said was clearly intoxicated, told police he was going to take the gun, drive to his school Monday, shoot the school officer, and then take the officer's gun to "kill as many teachers and students as he could."

The documents say the teen also said he had made several bombs to blow up George Washington Carver Center for Arts and Technology.

Police recovered from his home a handgun, three crude, homemade explosives, a suicide note, and a journal with all his plans, the probable cause documents said. He was arrested at his home.

Nemphos told officers he had intended to go through with his plan on Halloween and had taken the gun in his backpack to school. But he had forgotten the bombs so he aborted his plan, he said. He also said he was too drunk to carry out the plan, the documents said.

He said he was going to try again Monday and would stay sober to do it, the documents said.

Nemphos told police he had been bullied for years and has told teachers, but nothing was ever done.

A woman who answered the phone at Nemphos' address hung up when asked about the case.

• My first thought, whether right or wrong, centers around the parent(s) and how they were not aware of what their son was doing in their home.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)