Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Charged With Murder After Throwing 6-Year-Old Son Off Oregon's Yaquina Bay Bridge - Tragic back story

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM
  • 19 Replies

Mom Charged With Murder After Throwing 6-Year-Old Son Off Oregon's Yaquina Bay Bridge

Jillian-McCabe-murder

Jillian Meredith McCabe, 34, of Seal Rock, Oregon has been arrested after turning herself in for the murder of her 6-year-old son, London.

Late Monday night, McCabe called authorities to admit that she'd thrown her son off a bridge.

Authorities mounted a massive search for London McCabe. According to Coast Guard spokesman Jonathan Klingenberg, the boy's body was recovered early Tuesday after a Good Samaritan spotted a body from a restaurant and lounge near the Yaquina Bay Bridge.

"It's absolutely a tragedy," Klingenberg told NBC news.

The backstory gets more involved from there.

Apparently, Jillian had set up a YouCaring fund 8 months ago, asking for financial assistance to help care for her autistic son London and her husband Matt, who'd recently been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

An excerpt from the fundraising page reads:

"My husband went from being able to walk/drive/work/make money/talk/throw our son in the air to being diagnosed with MS, having a mass in the brain stem, he is now walking with a walker, not being able to drive/work/make money, he now slurs his speech ... Matt went from the sole bread winner and provider to not in a matter of 2 weeks.

My husband Matt and I have a son named London and we run the blog www.autisticlondon.com - Although we have not updated it in a long time. I would stay home with London full-time and Matt would work full-time and run his own side business, www.semitechnical.com....

I am taking care of our son London and now Matt full-time. Luckily, we are receiving unemployment from when Matt was laid off. I am applying for any and all assistance available. The real blow for us was that we were denied charity services from Providence Hospital because they know our situation is so dire, we will receive state assistance. SSI can take months to go through and I am scared.

Our friends and family are stepping in (we love them!) and taking London for us or dropping off groceries, filling our freezer with meals. So many people are helping us and I appreciate everyone. I NEED YOUR HELP."

According to the YouCaring page, Jillian raised a total of $6,281, but that wasn't enough.

Matt-McCabe-and-London-McCabe

Matt and London McCabe via Matt McCabe's Facebook

Her husband Matt McCabe wrote a blog called HelpMatt.org. The last entry that included mention of Jillian and London was penned on September 7, 2014.

"I am still living with my folks out here in Newport. I wrote before that we were moving out to The Dalles, but that didn't happen. I started running the numbers and we totally could-if our rent was only $500. That's not gonna happen. So I'm saving up money and we'll see what happens.

Jillian is living with us, too. London is pleased as punch. He lays on our laps and puts our hands together. Last night he made the "mmmwha!" sound and gave his Mommy a kiss. Then he made the same sound and pushed our faces together. He's all smiles."

Jillian McCabe was charged with aggravated murder, murder and first degree manslaughter. Her bail was set at $750,000. No word on yet on Matt McCabe's possible involvement in the incident.

Read more.

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:57 AM

How very disgusting and heat breaking. :(

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I am surprised she didn't kill herself after throwing him off the bridge.

I feel bad for her husband who is already dealing with so much....

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:06 AM
I don't get it, why kill your kid? I get the desperation. There is little to no help for families with children with autism. Parents get depressed and desperate. Tossing him off a bridge? That's sick. That poor child. He trusted and loved his mother and she threw him off a bridge. The fear that child felt... I hope this woman has a long life in prison and is visited every single night by visions of her son the moment she killed him.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Mental and physical illnesses are both terrible- added together obviously a ticking time bomb for this family.

One of the reasons I always worked-in case something were to happen to the hubs-especially a devastating disability.

RIP little guy.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

This makes no sense to me.  Why murder your child?  I can only imagine how hard things were, the blows kept coming, it seems.  Even so, this woman gets no sympathy from me.  She murdered her child.

It seems people take to the internet all the time now, putting themselves out there and asking for money.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.

cfcf
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Living near The Dalles, and being in a situation where we are looking for a rentak I have actually found rentals in what is calles the mid-cokuambia gorge for around $500. Just going to throw that out there.

Still not seeing a valid reason to throw your kid off a bridge. It sounds more like the woman was too damn stupid to step up and take care of her family. You have to play the cards you are dealt, you dont get to murder your kids.

Another source says she told police voices told her to do it. Im sure. She should have thrown herself of the bridge instead.
littlemum41
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

This makes no sense to me.  Why murder your child?  I can only imagine how hard things were, the blows kept coming, it seems.  Even so, this woman gets no sympathy from me.  She murdered her child.

It seems people take to the internet all the time now, putting themselves out there and asking for money.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I feel the same way. She murdered her son. No excuse. No justification.

And I don't like this new Online begging for financial help thing.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting littlemum41:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I feel the same way. She murdered her son. No excuse. No justification.

And I don't like this new Online begging for financial help thing.

Right at the begninng of my divorce there were a few  times where things where very rough.  To the point of almost desperation.  So I get that feeling and not knowing what to do in the moment.  One must take a step back, look ahead and make a plan and walk forward.  

Even so, I can't imagine going on line and putting my family out there like that.  I could not ask for money from strangers like that while embarrassing my children.  

This woman deserves to sit in a jail cell the rest of her life.  I just can't comprehend her mind set.

The father, at this point, the article doesn't really say much about him other than he had no issues with putting their lives out there for the world to see either.  It's terrible, his diagnosis.  Breaks my heart for him.  I hope he really had nothing to do with the thoughts and actions of that woman.  He has a hard enough road ahead of him as it is.

OHgirlinCA
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no sympathy for this woman.  NONE!

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM

A tragic, sad example of how unstable people will follow through on their sick motives/thoughts. No matter the weapon/method... In her mind, she felt justified in this.  She is a murderer.  She deserves to be punished and she should be held accountable.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)