Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If This Happened to You... Someone "Steals" Your Vote

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

Your Vote Becomes Provisional Because Someone Else "Stole" Your Vote~ How Would You Feel?

The first case of voter fraud in New Mexico this election has been confirmed by the Rio Arriba County Clerk's Office.

According to the Rio Arriba County Clerk's office, a voter trying to cast an early ballot in Espanola Saturday was told he had already voted three days prior.

The man told poll workers he hadn't voted. He was then shown the signature of the voter, but he says it wasn't his signature.

Officials say they were able to confirm that the signature on the original ballot did not match the legal voter's signature on file.

Poll workers allowed the man to vote on a provisional ballot, but election officials will have to determine whether the provisional ballot can be counted. Elections officials have no legal means of actually verifying signatures or confirming identification of a voter.

"The poll workers and the Rio Arriba County Clerk’s office did a good job in responding to the situation, following all the procedures available to them," said Bobbi Shearer of the Secretary of State’s office Saturday, "I have nothing, but praise for their efforts to try to ensure integrity in the election. It is just that under current law there are no means available to poll workers to help them determine if a voter is actually the person he says he is."

Shearer said the fraudulent voter's vote has already gone through a tabulator and cannot be identified or separated from all the legitimate ballots in the machine. 

Rio Arriba County also fell under scrutiny just two years ago when campaign workers were caught offering alchol to voters.

If voters have any concerns or wish to report an irregularity of any kind, they are encouraged to call the Secretary of State’s office:   1-800-477-3632. 

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be pretty upset.

furbabymum
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Damn, I wish someone would offer me booze when I voted. Most excellent!

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM

That was your takeaway from this article?  Actually, I am not surprised.  LOL.  Carry On...

Quoting furbabymum:

SuckIt69
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this
That's awful. Everyone....EVERY.ONE.....should be upset about voter fraud.

I don't want this country to be like others where voters really have no vote because elections are infested with voter fraud. :/
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:42 PM

It didn't state how this other person cast their vote but I am assuming they sent in their ballot?

Either way, if this happened enough I don't think people would be so passive about it.

furbabymum
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD was very sick this last January. My DH went to pick up the medicine at the pharmacy and they said he'd already picked it up. After much debacle they confessed that a Mexican came by and they thought he said our last name and gave him the meds. The pharmacy peeps didn't speak Spanish. Of course, neither does my DH but anyway....... Point being they made a mistake because of the language barrier. Sounds like that's what happened here.

Really though, who is the asshole who tattled on the free booze????????????????

Quoting jcrew6:

That was your takeaway from this article?  Actually, I am not surprised.  LOL.  Carry On...

Quoting furbabymum:

"If Jesus was coming, there would be wine." ~DH
SuckIt69
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw a video where a guy had a hidden camera and he asked them at the polling place where he could get mail in ballots to cast more votes. They told him, literally told him, to go to the "ghetto" and look in trash cans, because most "of those people" throw away their ballots.

It was upsetting. :/

I know it's probably not bad enough to swing elections. But every single instance, no matter how isolated, needs to be investigated and dealt with swiftly.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

It didn't state how this other person cast their vote but I am assuming they sent in their ballot?

Either way, if this happened enough I don't think people would be so passive about it.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Quoting SuckIt69: I saw a video where a guy had a hidden camera and he asked them at the polling place where he could get mail in ballots to cast more votes. They told him, literally told him, to go to the "ghetto" and look in trash cans, because most "of those people" throw away their ballots. It was upsetting. :/ I know it's probably not bad enough to swing elections. But every single instance, no matter how isolated, needs to be investigated and dealt with swiftly.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

That is disgusting, to say the least.

Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM
5 moms liked this
And one way to combat voter fraud is to require a picture ID.....something they offer for FREE here in Texas and yet there is still a huge uproar over the fact that you must show some sort of ID to vote.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM
I think it is quite possible that Udall may lose in New Mexico (the cousin of Udall in Colorado)

These votes are going to count; so yeah, it's very upsetting
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)