Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fluff-ish topic and poll: "What's your sign", do people really believe horoscopes and such?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM
  • 27 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you believe astrological signs mean anything for your life?

Options:

Yes

No

Not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

When I here (or read) the phrase "what's your sign?" it is a little bit annoying because I don't believe astrological signs mean anything, nor do I believe horoscopes mean anything.

A lot of very well-educated people though, feel that being a Pisces, Virgo, etc., absolutely shapes their lives

by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 1:30 PM

BUMP!

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Mmmm...no, I don't rely on astrology as a science that greatly influences my life but I believe people tend to take on the characteristics attributed to their signs whether they believe in astrology or not.

For instance, I am a Libra.  I understand Librans to be fair-minded people who weigh both sides of an issue and try to understand an issue even from an opposing point of view.  There's always something to learn even from someone who does not hold a similar point of view.  

I learned this about Libras when I was about 11 years old and have tried to be that way ever since.

*waiting for my haters to call me a liar*  Heh.

Therefore, I look for my "compatible" signs to date and befriend because those people will also try to adapt the characteristics attributed to their signs and will work to be compatible.  I can be attracted to someone before I know his sign and will ignore it if his sign is not supposed to be compatible which means signs don't rule my life.  

I totally accept reading my horoscope is merely for entertainment purposes.

tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I don't really know what I think about that stuff, but I do read them for fun and sometimes they seem to fit my life perfectly and other times, not so much. 

momtoscott
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM

No.  

redheadtmk
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I do not think they shape my life or are completely accurate however I do think it is fun to read them and see if they match my day. The overall description of Gemini matches me in most ways. And I know several Pisces who are very similiar in personality. It is not a hard science but it is fun.

Hannahluvsdogs
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I don't believe they can predict the future but I do believe they tell you about yourself and you can use that information to improve how you deal with others and approach life. Most people only know their Sun sign, but you have a sign for every planet and they each represent a different aspect of your personality. I've done chart readings for strangers on here and they've been surprised at how well it describes them.

Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM
I can't speak to the readings you've done, only to the ones I've seen. The readings were very vague and generalized.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I don't believe they can predict the future but I do believe they tell you about yourself and you can use that information to improve how you deal with others and approach life. Most people only know their Sun sign, but you have a sign for every planet and they each represent a different aspect of your personality. I've done chart readings for strangers on here and they've been surprised at how well it describes them.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:48 PM
I am a Libra and my personality definitely fits the traits of a Libra so for me, it seems to be true.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a libra too.

Quoting JonJon:

Mmmm...no, I don't rely on astrology as a science that greately influences my life but I believe people tend to take on the characteristics attributed to their signs whether they believe in astrology or not.

For instance, I am a Libra.  I understand Librans to be fair-minded, people who weight both sides of an issue and try to understand an issue even from an opposing point of view.  There's always something to learn even from someone who does not hold a similar point of view.  

I learned this about Libras when I was about 11 years old and have tried to be that way ever since.

*waiting for my haters to call me a liar*  Heh.

Therefore, I look for my "compatible" signs to date and befriend because those people will also try to adapt the characteristics attributed to their signs and will work to be compatible.  I can be attracted to someone before know his sign and will ignore it if his sign is not supposed to be compatible which means signs don't rule my life.  I totally accept reading my horoscope is merely for entertainment purposes.

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

nope.
its just a con. they do it well enough so that anyone could find something to fit their self concept/situation.  basic psychology/confidence man stuff. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)