Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten Teacher Mom Killed in Mall Bathroom

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM
  • 13 Replies

Kindergarten Teacher Mom Killed in Mall Bathroom

reem island ghost
Kindergarten teacher Ibolya Ryan, who is also the mother of 11-year-old twin boys Adam and Aiden, had been working as a teacher in Abu Dhabi. Ryan was born in Romania but was an American citizen and trained and worked as a teacher in the United States for many years. She had been living in Abu Dhabi for the past year with her sons. While at the upscale Bourik Mall on Reem Island, Ryan was attacked by someone with a knife. She was in the bathroom when the attacker approached her and said, "Sit down or I'll kill you." She was then stabbed to death.

The police believe the person in the black robe, gloves, and face covering -- called a niqab -- stabbed Ryan to death in the bathroom stall. If you watch the surveillance video, it seems the "Reem Island Ghost", as he or she is being called, wanted to go to the bathroom area perhaps thinking it was a semi-secluded place where the victim would be vulnerable.

More From The Stir: Brave Mom of 2 Confronts ‘Terrorists’ Believed to Have Killed Soldier With Cleaver (PHOTO)

The police are investigating and haven't disclosed if this was an act of jihadists or an argument in the bathroom. Just weeks ago, there was a warning that jihadists may attack teachers at American schools in the Middle East. Witnesses report that there was yelling and they heard someone say, "Sit down or I'll kill you" followed by a struggle. The video shows the attacker entering the bathroom just after 1 p.m., but the attack didn't happen until after 2 p.m. That is very suspicious. And terrifying. To think that someone was lurking in that bathroom for over an hour waiting for a victim sends chills down my spine. There was what looked like a bloody kitchen knife found at the scene.

Ryan was rushed to Sheikh Khalifa Medical City, but she died as a result of her multiple stab wounds. Her ex-husband, her children's father, Paul Ryan, was said to be on his way to be with his children. It was reported that he lives in Austria but was originally from Denver, Colorado.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Ryan family. How awful that these boys lost their mother in such a violent manner.

Do you think this was the work of jihadists?

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:34 AM
The murderer's hands looked male as they pushed elevator buttons. I have little faith that this woman will receive justice in a country like Abu Dhabi.
QueenBarbie
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM

The risk you take as an American living in a Muslim country.  I doubt very seriously if the killer is found, or if anything is done about it.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM

That photo, without watching the video, is indeed creepy.

I highly doubt the murder of this woman will be treated as it should.

The mindset it takes to do this............I shudder.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:03 AM

That is very sad : ( 

jllcali
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:24 AM
The way the killer walked looked male as well. It would be very easy for a man to hide the fact he was male by covering completely and not be questioned at all in a country where females frequently cover. I think this was personal because of the way the killer walked and if it was a terror group they would not have done it in an isolated place and would have claimed it. Also stabbing someone multiple times is very personal and seems to indicate a personal motive.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls: The murderer's hands looked male as they pushed elevator buttons. I have little faith that this woman will receive justice in a country like Abu Dhabi.
frandee90
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Obviously the proportions aren't pefect from the angles, but the person seems short to be a male - he or she looks closer to the height of the other women in the video.

Carrying out a personal attack at a mall seems so risky - he or she is almost caught around 1:45 but the lady pulling at her - but stabbing someone that many times does seem personal. But how did he or she know their intended target was in the bathroom at that moment, and that no one else would be in there to intervene?

So scary,
nb34
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Really? And why would you say that? So you think white people are treated like blacks here, over there? In case you didn't know they have already arrested a suspect. From what I know about UAE, they take any murderer committed on their soil rather seriously, the same as theft and other crimes of that sort. Your assertion is quite ignorant actually.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls: The murderer's hands looked male as they pushed elevator buttons. I have little faith that this woman will receive justice in a country like Abu Dhabi.

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I didn't even know whether the victim was white. I was referring to the fact that she's a woman. And if you'd like to dispute that there are very real and very heinous human rights violations in regard to women in the UAE, I will refer you here.

Quoting nb34:

Really? And why would you say that? So you think white people are treated like blacks here, over there? In case you didn't know they have already arrested a suspect. From what I know about UAE, they take any murderer committed on their soil rather seriously, the same as theft and other crimes of that sort. Your assertion is quite ignorant actually.

frandee90
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Whoa, the Abu Dhabi police released a video of the suspect, the getaway, her walking around and the arrest, complete with editing and sound effects.

http://youtu.be/iSefyJ0U04E

The house they were arrested in (it looks like a man and two women?) looked very nice and upscale. The flag on the car is too conspicuous to be accidental, although it looks like it's upside down.
frandee90
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM
I think this might ordinarily be the case, particularly if it was a local, but I think the UAE has invested way too much into foreign travel and tourism and being a desirable place to work for ex-pats to not throw the book at whoever did this.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

I didn't even know whether the victim was white. I was referring to the fact that she's a woman. And if you'd like to dispute that there are very real and very heinous human rights violations in regard to women in the UAE, I will refer you here.

Quoting nb34:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)