Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fast food workers going on strike for 15 Dollars an hour!!

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM
  • 357 Replies
12 moms liked this

ok, im going to say it. I dont know if i really support this. Not like i dont think people shouldnt make enough money to support their families and live comfortably, but i was always taught, or just assumed that fast food places were for first time workers, high school kids etc to get their foot in the door and experience their first job. This isn't for adults...its their stepping stone for young people to get work ethic started. Since when did it become ok for people to strive to be a manager at Mcdonnalds? My first job was at Dairy Queen, My 2nd at wendys, but after the age of 17-18...i wanted and aimed my sights for something bigger...a "real Job" honestly i started out at 6 bucks or something at have almost quadrupled that in my years working. So now some burger flipper thinks that they deserve 15 dollars just starting out?! it boggles my mind. increasing pay i think would get people comfortable, why not leave, and get the job that pays what you want and gets you out of washing dishes?

i just thought adults wanted more for themselves than fast food. and yes ive been in the single mom working two jobs category. it was hard but i took a leap of faith and lept for that ONE job that paid me my two wages combined.

As always let the bashing begin for my opinion, but im interested to see what other people in different areas are thinking. Maybe its just the area i live in?

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM
24 moms liked this

I don't agree with that pay but let me say one of the issues here is the blinders some people choose to wear.

You think this type of work is obviously beneath you, right?  How do you know what it takes if you have never held such a position?  Meh, it's easy work, let some other schmuck do it.  

Your thought process is part of the problem.  

Glad you have a 'real job'.  You better be careful with your attitude, life has a way of making you eat crow.

Isn't this old news, by the way?  

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:12 AM
27 moms liked this
Until jobs come back home or we train more innovators, fast food and retail are the only jobs really out there. If we don't want to continue supporting them on welfare while subsidizing the corporations that hire low wage earners, we need to raise the minimum wage.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:21 AM
17 moms liked this

Quoting -Celestial-: Until jobs come back home or we train more innovators fast food and retail are the only jobs really out there. If we don't want to continue supporting them on welfare while subsidizing the corporations that higher low wage earners we need to raise the minimum wage.

Seems people like to complain, disguised as their opinion, that adults would take such a demeaning job.  Yet let those same adults not work and they are complaining as well.  

The mindset is disturbing, at best.

There are more adults working fast food than there are teens or young adults.  It is a job, it is hard work and well, they have to put up with twits and their attitudes.  That alone warrants a pay raise.

This bothers me because, when my ex husband literally removed my daughter and I from our home, removed access to all funds, the first job I took was at a Burger King on the base we lived on.  Granted, this particular BK, while owned by an individual, is run by a much bigger company that is on all bases.

I have never worked so damn hard in my life.  It was money coming in and while most certainly not in the field I worked in before being a SAHM, it was good, decent money earned.

I was lucky in that I was able to move up within the company very quickly and become a manager of another facility.  I still help out at that BK once a month, as the General Manager.  It may only be a day that I am there to govern the days operations but I know the inner workings that the GM must take on, including the Assistant Manager. I deal with much of the same every single day in my own position.

There was a woman who worked there from the day the store opened, over 27 years ago.  She recently retired.  Damn good retirement as well and she was just a measly little kitchen worker.  I have never met a woman who has worked as hard as this woman.  

So it does kind of piss me off when you have some brainless twit come in with her higher than the rest attitude about something she feels is beneath her.  

Mrspater14
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM
3 moms liked this

well I mean, all I would suggest is that you read the entire post, not just Skim. I have worked fast food. For years, it was my youth years, 16-18 getting my mind around this whole "work" thing. so yes I get it, it can be stressfull I guess, but at what age would you look around and wonder what theHELL am I doing STILL  working in fast food. Why not go for something bigger and better. 10 years later in the work field after holding the position that I have for the last 3 years I can honestly say I would be embarassed and ashamed if anything happened and my only way of making money was to work at a Mcdonnalds. BUT I of course would do it considering that i STILL have a family to support.

And no its not old news by the way ...its happening now.

Glad youre in the Know

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I don't agree with that pay but let me say one of the issues here is the blinders some people choose to wear.

You think this type of work is obviously beneath you, right?  How do you know what it takes if you have never held such a position?  Meh, it's easy work, let some other schmuck do it.  

Your thought process is part of the problem.  

Glad you have a 'real job'.  You better be careful with your attitude, life has a way of making you eat crow.

Isn't this old news, by the way?  

Mrspater14
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM

you think going to college and getting a degree to obtain my position is considered a twit? I respect your opinion but put your big girl pants on and have a rational conversation. So you got a job at aburger king and made it to the top...congrats, very few would do that. But i wouldn't consider calling you a "twit" because you made your life at a burger king. i just feel like you as an adult could have done something different. and left that job for the teens. I applaud you for being the role model for your kids and showed them what hard work can do, quite honestly thats the bigger achievement here. They would see what you have done in that aspect but on my end I showed my kids that going to college, getting a degree and a different kind of full time job is hard work also.

In my years working fast food, sure it was hard i guess but i was 17 everything was hard, college was hard...working managerial no matter what field is hard. But is the manager of a burger kind really what you dreamt about?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting -Celestial-: Until jobs come back home or we train more innovators fast food and retail are the only jobs really out there. If we don't want to continue supporting them on welfare while subsidizing the corporations that higher low wage earners we need to raise the minimum wage.

Seems people like to complain, disguised as their opinion, that adults would take such a demeaning job.  Yet let those same adults not work and they are complaining as well.  

There are more adults working fast food than there are teens or young adults.  It is a job, it is hard work and well, they have to put up with twits and their attitudes.  That alone warrants a pay raise.

This bothers me because, when my ex husband literally removed my daughter and I from our home, removed access to all funds, the first job I took was at a Burger King on the base we lived on.  Granted, this particular BK, while owned by an individual, is run by a much bigger company that is on all bases.

I have never worked so damn hard in my life.  It was money coming in and while most certainly not in the field I worked in before being a SAHM, it was good, decent money earned.

I was lucky in that I was able to move up within the company very quickly and become a manager of another facility.  I still help out at that BK once a month, as the General Manager.  It may only be a day that I am there to govern the days operations but I know the inner workings that the GM must take on, including the Assistant Manager. I deal with much of the same every single day in my own position.

There was a woman who worked there from the day the store opened, over 27 years ago.  She recently retired.  Damn good retirement as well and she was just a measly little kitchen worker.  I have never met a woman who has worked as hard as this woman.  

So it does kind of piss me off when you have some brainless twit come in with her higher than the rest attitude about something she feels is beneath her.  

stringtheory
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM
11 moms liked this
Yes, I'm sure the problem is people not wanting to do more than flip burgers. Although, honestly, I don't see why that would be such a terrible thing, happily working the drive through because your needs are being met. Not everyone lives to work. I feel sorry for people who think anyone deserves to live in poverty just because a job is menial.
stringtheory
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM
6 moms liked this
Wow, condescending much? May I ask what it is you do? Because I really doubt you can't do any better.

Quoting Mrspater14:

you think going to college and getting a degree to obtain my position is considered a twit? I respect your opinion but put your big girl pants on and have a rational conversation. So you got a job at aburger king and made it to the top...congrats, very few would do that. But i wouldn't consider calling you a "twit" because you made your life at a burger king. i just feel like you as an adult could have done something different. and left that job for the teens. I applaud you for being the role model for your kids and showed them what hard work can do, quite honestly thats the bigger achievement here. They would see what you have done in that aspect but on my end I showed my kids that going to college, getting a degree and a different kind of full time job is hard work also.

In my years working fast food, sure it was hard i guess but i was 17 everything was hard, college was hard...working managerial no matter what field is hard. But is the manager of a burger kind really what you dreamt about?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Mrspater14
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

see thats the problem with people! Yes I can do better, I know if I really put my mind to it and I wanted to go further in the company, that its obtainable. Couldnt you?! if your position right now cant you see yourself excelling even further if you really wanted to? I honestly applaud the lady who worked at burger king and made it all the way to the top. Not settling for what she knew she could be better at. She had the mindset I wish every fast food worker did, instead of flipping burgers, own the damn place. I am a prodcution manager for a nursery providing annuals and perennials for the PNW. I Love my job....But I always want more. Maybe thats my problem for always striving for more. I dont have a cap on what I'm capable of, i really hope you dont think you do.

Quoting stringtheory: Wow, condescending much? May I ask what it is you do? Because I really doubt you can't do any better.
Quoting Mrspater14:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

stringtheory
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM
7 moms liked this
Lol, you didn't applaud her for moving to the top, you asked, basically, why a grown woman settled for Burger King ("but is the manager of burger king really what you dreamt about?") And don't be ridiculous, no one thinks it's a problem that you strive for better, its a problem to act like your situation would be fitting for everyone and anyone.

Quoting Mrspater14:

see thats the problem with people! Yes I can do better, I know if I really put my mind to it and I wanted to go further in the company, that its obtainable. Couldnt you?! if your position right now cant you see yourself excelling even further if you really wanted to? I honestly applaud the lady who worked at burger king and made it all the way to the top. Not settling for what she knew she could be better at. She had the mindset I wish every fast food worker did, instead of flipping burgers, own the damn place. I am a prodcution manager for a nursery providing annuals and perennials for the PNW. I Love my job....But I always want more. Maybe thats my problem for always striving for more. I dont have a cap on what I'm capable of, i really hope you dont think you do.

Quoting stringtheory: Wow, condescending much? May I ask what it is you do? Because I really doubt you can't do any better.
Quoting Mrspater14:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Mrspater14
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Yes I did applaud her, she didn't go out and LOOK for a job at burger king. Do to course of events she could no longer be a stay at home mom and to support her family she landed a job at a burger king. she did what she had to to support her kids. And in that time she pushed her way to the top which is great. But I promise you she didn't lie in bed and dream about being a manager at Burger king.

Quoting stringtheory: Lol, you didn't applaud her for moving to the top, you asked, basically, why a grown woman settled for Burger King ("but is the manager of burger king really what you dreamt about?") And don't be ridiculous, no one thinks it's a problem that you strive for better, its a problem to act like your situation would be fitting for everyone and anyone.
Quoting Mrspater14:

Quoting Mrspater14:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)