Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eric Garner Caused His Own Cardiac Arrest By Resisting Arrest; Grand Jury Clears NYPD Cop

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM
  • 131 Replies
1 mom liked this

Written by Donald Joy on December 4, 2014

Waaayy back in July of this year, when the Eric Garner case first broke nationwide, we published the following opinion piece about the incident.  Now, the fact that a New York City grand jury (of all grand juries!) has just cleared officer Daniel Pantaleo of any probable crime really tells you something.  NYC is the ultimate bastion of rabid left-wing demographics, where you’d expect they’d exploit any occasion to indict a white male cop in such a racially-charged case, if they could.  It does appear that the grand jury disagreed with the notion that officer Pantaleo’s actions are what caused Garner’s death — that instead, it happened primarily due to his severely poor health condition while resisting lawful arrest, regardless of police tactics used.

Hmm, let’s see, a 6′ 4″, 400-lb career criminal–with 31 prior arrests on a variety of charges ranging from drug possession to assault–adamantly refuses to be taken into custody by police who are investigating yet another an alleged crime by him (while he is out on bail facing 3 other charges), and he starts actively resisting when they try to handcuff him..

Then, in the ensuing struggle, he has a heart attack while being subdued by multiple officers, one of them using what many cops posting in online forums are insisting is not actually the form of choke-hold banned for use by the NYPD, but merely a quick take-down restraint technique, which protects the throat and windpipe while moving the subject to the prone position by steering the head–and thereby the body–in that direction.

The suspect, chronic street hustler and asthmatic diabetic Eric Garner, loses consciousness while being restrained on the sidewalk, and is transported to the hospital by paramedics where he is pronounced dead on arrival.

The next day, syndicated radio host Michael Savage–just as he did in the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case last year–loudly bellows blatantly dubious personal presumptions about the incident (such as, “he wasn’t doing anything!”) at the top of his program, and the top of his lungs, and millions of blindly rabid cop-haters pile on in countless other distorted forums.

Ignoring facts such as the extensive criminal history and overwhelming size of the subject, and other factors which point more to it being an accidental death (due to the suspect’s grave health issues and non-compliance) than a homicide caused by rogue cops, the howling masses all scream for the cops to be fired and/or charged with various crimes.

How would Savage, or any other supposed impartial party who wasn’t there, know what Garner was or wasn’t doing, during any amount of time prior to the video?

Remember, this Eric Garner incident comes hot on the heels of a 23-year-old rookie NYC-area cop being recently murdered in cold blood by another career criminal, whose wife announced on video, at a community event memorializing and glorifying the cop-killer, that she wished her husband had killed more cops.

There’s no denying that there are racial dynamics being brought to bear, appropriately or not, in this and countless other incidents having to do with crime and police work.

However, even left-wing New York City mayor Bill de Blasio went on record to clarify a crucial aspect of the matter saying, “Not wanting to be arrested does not grant an individual the right to resist arrest, nor does it free the officers of the obligation to make the arrest.”

What do you think would happen, to society and to the overall effectiveness of law enforcement, if every time an actively resisting suspect protested loudly that they couldn’t breathe, or otherwise demanded that the cops needed to let off and let up on them while attempting to take them into custody, and got their way?  What if the police just took their word for it, and let the perp call the shots?

Eric Garner’s death was avoidable, that’s for sure.  Of course, I wasn’t there either, but based on Garner’s long rap sheet of priors, I give the cops at the scene the benefit of the doubt as to having probable cause to arrest him for illegally selling cigarettes.

Furthermore, it was Garner’s choice to use the tactics of protest, and loudly claim that he was being harassed by the cops while putting up his hands to fight them off as they tried to cuff him–he caused the situation which resulted in his experiencing cardiac arrest, because he resisted arrest instead of letting the court (where he was headed this October anyway, to face 3 previous charges) sort it all out.

The politically realistic outcome of this, I expect, is that the officer who used the controversial take-down will be thrown under the bus for it, since it is close enough to a choke-hold that even the police union won’t be able to save his job from the seething mobs demanding his scalp.

While it’s true that these days we are being exposed to increasing amounts of evidence of police brutality and abuse of authority by badge-heavy cops across the land, especially with the proliferation of cell phone recordings and the surfeit of internet videos on social media, nonetheless we have to weigh all known factors, and consider a myriad of unknown factors carefully when confronted with recorded incidents such as the Eric Garner case, and the recent roadway apprehension of a black female wherein the white male officer punched her repeatedly in order to subdue her.  Such videos contain highly provocative but often also very abbreviated information, imagery, and actions, which may or may not allow viewers to reach accurate conclusions about what really took place, and especially why.

As I said, I’m giving the cops in this case the benefit of the doubt here, for now.  Based on what I’ve stated, I think you should too–and I’m as serious as a heart attack when I command you not to dance to Al Sharpton’s blaring megaphone when it comes to this, or any other episode.

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM
14 moms liked this

Did you actually watch the video?  

Garner wasn't committing a crime when he was arrested.  His priors were possession of pot (not crack and not for distribution) and selling cigarettes for $.50 a pop.  These are not violent crimes.  Prior to the altercation, he was breaking up a fight between other people.  The cops on scene recognized him and tried to arrest him for selling cigarettes, which he wasn't doing at the time. He didn't put up a fight, he argued (loudly).  He resisted in the sense that he pulled his hands away but in no way tried to strike.  That is an understandable response to someone trying to arrest you for no reason and a very common response.  The cops jumped on him like a pack of lions and put him in a choke hold.  He said MANY times, "I can't breathe" before passing out.  Panic because he couldn't breathe is probably what caused the cardiac arrest.  So while his actions may have led to cardiac arrest, it wasn't like he committed suicide and the actions of the police far outweigh his own part in this.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Fox News' Bill O'Reilly Says Eric Garner Didn't Deserve To Die

After rolling footage of Eric Garner being choked to death by NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo, Bill O'Reilly responded Wednesday night with a deep, uncharacteristic sigh.

Though O'Reilly made sure to point out that he did not have all the facts in the case, following a grand jury's decision not to indict Pantaleo, and mass protests in New York City, the Fox News host was at least firm in his belief that Garner did not deserve the fate that befell him.

"[Garner] should not have resisted, but all americans, every one of us, should pity Mr. Garner and his family," O'Reilly said, adding that he was "extremely troubled" by the video and would have loosened his grip after hearing Garner say he couldn't breathe. "He did not deserve what happened to him. And I think Officer Pantaleo and every other American police officer -- every one -- would agree with me. He didn't deserve that."

video

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:02 PM
So, how is this a racist act?
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Garner wasn't committing a crime when he was arrested.  His priors were possession of pot (not crack and not for distribution) and selling cigarettes for $.50 a pop.  These are not violent crimes.  Prior to the altercation, he was breaking up a fight between other people.  The cops on scene recognized him and tried to arrest him for selling cigarettes, which he wasn't doing at the time. He didn't put up a fight, he argued (loudly).  He resisted in the sense that he pulled his hands away but in no way tried to strike.  That is an understandable response to someone trying to arrest you for no reason and a very common response.  The cops jumped on him like a pack of lions and put him in a choke hold.  He said MANY times, "I can't breathe" before passing out.  Panic because he couldn't breathe is probably what caused the cardiac arrest.  So while his actions may have led to cardiac arrest, it wasn't like he committed suicide and the actions of the police far outweigh his own part in this.

If he did not resist arrest,he would not have died that day.  plain and simple.  Autopsy showed a "very enlarged heart".  If you can say"I can't breathe",you are breathing.

momtimesx4
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

If he did not resist arrest,he would not have died that day.  plain and simple.  Autopsy showed a "very enlarged heart".  If you can say"I can't breathe",you are breathing.

This

PamR
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 3:45 PM
6 moms liked this

Choke holds were banned in tne NYPD in the 90s.  The officer did not follow the proper guidelines.  Garner did not threaten or attack any of the police.  Their actions were way out of line.  Even the people I know who work in law enforcement think this was a bad call.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 4:59 PM
3 moms liked this

If you watch the video, he didn't use a choke-hold. That move is not allowed, per policy. He used a take-down, which is how you take down someone of unequal size, which they were. It's taught in every police academy. 

VooDooB
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 5:04 PM
2 moms liked this
You can't speak if your under a chokehold. Because, you know....you're being choked.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Hush, they don't want to hear that.

Quoting VooDooB: You can't speak if your under a chokehold. Because, you know....you're being choked.

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Bullshit. See if you can stomach watching the WHOLE video.

Quoting VooDooB: You can't speak if your under a chokehold. Because, you know....you're being choked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)