Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How girls are developing earlier in an age of 'New Puberty'

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM
  • 86 Replies

How Girls Are Developing Earlier In An Age Of 'New Puberty'

Girl looking at alphabet blocks --- Image by © Trina Dalziel/Ikon Images/Corbis
Trina Dalziel/Ikon Images/Corbis

Many girls are beginning puberty at an early age, developing breasts sooner than girls of previous generations. But the physical changes don't mean the modern girls' emotional and intellectual development is keeping pace.

Two doctors have written a book called The New Puberty that looks at the percentage of girls who are going through early puberty, the environmental, biological and socioeconomic factors that influence when puberty begins, and whether early puberty is linked with an increased risk of breast cancer.

"It has been established that girls who enter puberty earlier are more likely to have symptoms of anxiety, higher levels of depression, initiate sex earlier and sexual behaviors earlier," Julianna Deardorff tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross.

Deardorff and Louise Greenspan are co-investigators in a long-term study of puberty. They've been following 444 girls from the San Francisco Bay area since 2005, when the girls were 6 to 8 years old. The study is funded by the National Cancer Institute and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.

Deardorff says that while early puberty could be hard on a young girl, family and school support matters.

"The family can serve as a huge buffer against some of those negative effects of early puberty," she says. "There's also been some research to show that certain aspects of the neighborhood context and also schools can be protective. ... It can completely mitigate the risk associated with early puberty on girls' emotional and behavioral functioning."

Surah 18:109

Say, "If the sea were ink
for [writing] the words of my Lord, the sea would be
exhausted before the words of my Lord were exhausted, even if
We brought the like of it as a supplement."

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EntrepeneurMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM
5 moms liked this
*waits for someone to blame vaccines*
spacedementia
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I was born in 1987 and got my first period by 8. I had a C cup when I was 12. I wouldn't wish any of it on my worst enemy, I was teased a lot until everyone caught up. I guess if it's common now it's not too bad though...

DSamuels
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I was born in 1959 and was probably close to a C cup by 12, but I didn't get my first period until a few months after I turned 12. My daughter (1978) was the same. Her daughter (2000) got her first period at 13 1/2 and is too big for an A and too small for a B cup.

Yeah, the teasing in 7th & 8th grade was horrible :(

Quoting spacedementia:

I was born in 1987 and got my first period by 8. I had a C cup when I was 12. I wouldn't wish any of it on my worst enemy, I was teased a lot until everyone caught up. I guess if it's common now it's not too bad though...

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Born in '79. I was a DD cup by 8th grade and started at 11.

Dd1 is 14.5 she got hers a month after her 13th. and shes a B cup. DD2 is 10.5 and in a b cup but no period.
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:48 AM
2 moms liked this

It's not just girls hitting puberty early though, it's boys as well. My 7yr old son has ball hair already, boys at his school have mustaches in 5th grade. It's insane how young kids are starting to develop these things now.

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 6:02 AM
6 moms liked this
LOL I'm pretty sure in part it is hormones in the meat we eat & the milk we drink. Bovine growth hormone is not good for us humans, I'm pretty sure.

Quoting EntrepeneurMom: *waits for someone to blame vaccines*
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 6:05 AM
I'm sorry. I was miserable with the 10yo menstrual start that i had. Precocious puberty is getting worse & worse.

Quoting spacedementia:

EntrepeneurMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 6:22 AM
I do agree with you there. Also artificial sweeteners.

Quoting Bookwormy: LOL I'm pretty sure in part it is hormones in the meat we eat & the milk we drink. Bovine growth hormone is not good for us humans, I'm pretty sure.

Quoting EntrepeneurMom: *waits for someone to blame vaccines*
incogNinja
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I was so pissed yesterday.. Precocious. That's the word. I had a major brain malfunction and I needed that word lol

Quoting Bookwormy: I'm sorry. I was miserable with the 10yo menstrual start that i had. Precocious puberty is getting worse & worse.

Quoting spacedementia:

ivy801
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
My one month old already has boobs and breastmilk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)