Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: What breed do you think my new dog is?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM
  • 21 Replies

He is at least part Belgian Malinois, according to the shelter, and I am curious what you guys think he is mixed with. I really have no idea, but the things I'm reading about Malinois are making me a little nervous. He is so far very friendly and smart, but I worry we've gotten in over our heads... being mixed with a more docile breed would be a good thing I think lol.

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

redneck_kids
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 5:22 AM
German shepherd?
petie1104
by Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 5:25 AM

Looks like a german shepherd

Debmomto2girls
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 6:43 AM

I agree with the other two posters...German Shepard.

I had a mixed breed dog that was abandoned.  The vet said he was part collie and part german shepard.  He lived to be 19 1/2 years old. Best dog ever.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the Shepard.  KUDOS to you for rescuing!  

We rescued a Rottweiler- Shepard Mix who was found practically in shreds from a dog fighting farm.  She is now the best dog ever.

Sometimes rescues take some extra work and love, but it is ALL worth it.  

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 5, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I dont know but look at those paws! Gonna be big! :)

incogNinja
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Shepard mix. Hair is too short.
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Thanks, ladies :-)

Actually, the part of him that looks like a German Shepherd is the Malinois shepherd in him. Those two breeds look a lot alike. His head is far too blocky and his coloring too dark to be purebred, though.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 5, 2014 at 10:03 AM

He looks part German Shepard. He is soooo cute!

lancet98
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

That's absolutely ridiculous.   There's no reason for the shelter to think this dog is part Belgian Malinois.   It's a very uncommon breed.   It doesn't even look like it's part Belgie.

My guess would be toward far commoner breeds - though the picture isn't good enough to tell much of anything.   My guess would be a German Shepherd mix.   The coat color is typical of Shepherd-Rottweiler mixes.  These are active, working breeds, generally of very sound temperament.

But any working-herding type mix needs exercise and mental stimulation, and like ANY breed, if you're not consistent with them, they can turn into little brats.   For example my friend's German shepherd mix often would get so excited when someone came over to visit, that he'd have to rush to the door and bark and jump on them, licking their faces and scampering around.   I spent about five minutes correcting the behavior, and then bawled her out, for she'd often let him do that when he was a puppy, because it was 'so cute'.   Well some day that puppy is going to be a big boy.   Just a little common sense is all that is needed.

You need to consider which breeds are common in your area; that's what he's likely to be.   Don't jump to conclusions that he's some incredibly rare breed simply based on his coat color.   That's liable to be a very inaccurate idea.   When common breeds mix they very often come up with this particular mixed coat color.

Even if it were part Belgie, that is NOT a reason to be afraid of this dog.   I have absolutely no idea what sort of trash you're reading, but a Belgian Malinois is NOT a dog to be afraid of.   They are active and intelligent, and love to have a job and exercise.   They're quite clever- a friend of mine taught her Belgie pup to retrieve different toys by name.   The dog LOVED doing that.   The temperament is that of a typical working-herding breed.    

Only individuals with an extremely high energy level are chosen for police work.   These  are rare individuals and a minority of the breed.  They are rare and treasured for their loyalty and devotion to their work.   But this is true of all the working breeds - German Shepherds, Rotties, Dobies and others.   They're deeply dedicated to their family and a loyal and noble companion.

An aggressive Belgie is very unusual and rare.  They are NOT suited for police work.  

Belgies are often highly tuned to their family and understand a great deal.   My friend's Belgie would actually have 'conversations' with her, where she'd ask him a question and he'd make a little 'talking' noise as if he was answering her.   It was hysterical.   'Do you want to go out?'   'Mmm?'   'How about the PARK?'  'MMMM???'   LOL.

Nearly all Belgies like to play and retrieve a ball, and are great with kids.   Their fun-loving active natures go along very well with an active  family.   They also have been known to sound the alarm when a house is on fire or - God forbid, someone tries to break in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)