Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hope Solo

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM
  • 8 Replies

There have been many discussions on this site and throughout the media regarding Domestic Violence. Domestic Violence is definitely something that plagues our society. I try to always be fair to both sides when it comes to these types of things and try never to play the gender card. A man should never hit a woman and a woman should never hit a man. Both are equally wrong and both genders can and sometimes are injured. I feel for anyone who has been assaulted and beaten. In some ways I have empathy for males in this as well as some men are beaten but there are few shelters and things to help them. Anyway, I want to discuss something that I find hypocritical.

Several months ago, female soccer player Hope Solo who is a strong 6 foot soccer player allegedly got into it with her 17 year old nephew and beat him up. The nephew's mom (and Hope Solo's sister) tried to protect her son which is understandable and was assaulted as well by someone more than physically capable. It has been going through the courts, etc. Assuming all or most of it is true (it is hard to know what led to the altercation as is often the case with any domestic violence situations) and I don't believe Hope Solo has denied assaulting them, where is the public outrage about this? I am just trying to be fair here.

Why is it when Hope Solo assaults a male (I am just trying to be fair here) and his mother, why do you not see people calling for her to be banned from soccer? Why do you see organizations like No More and other groups discussing the fact that some men get beaten by women as well. I try not to live in the stone ages and ladies we all know that we are capable of violence sometimes too. Before anyone tries to play the gender card, yes in general men are stronger than women but that is not always the case. I grew up a tomboy and I definitely can hold my own if I ever needed to. But that is irrelevant really. If a person stands there and is assaulted by another person regardless of how big and strong her or she is, anyone can be hurt. Bottom line is domestic violence is not a gender issue, it is something done by males and females alike and if we want to have a real discussion on these issues, let's focus in on the number of women in abusive relationships who feel hopeless AND let's focus on the number of men who feel the same way. Let's focus on how the media only tends to report one side. Let's also focus that in many cases there is also alcohol involved. I have yet to see the media talk much abou the fact that both Ray and Janae Rice for example were drinking.

I am still waiting for the news or Sportscenter to lead off their shows talking about a female soccer player and I find that hypocrisy. Just trying to be fair here, thanks for reading.

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PamR
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

She should be treated the same, in my opinion. 

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this
In the states soccer is not "important", and female sport even less "important".

There should be a fairness, but as a mother of four boys I can tell you the double standard is way higher for males than females. In almost every aspect.
logicgirl
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you Pam and that is my point. I do think we need to have a serious discussion on domestic violence in our society and violence in general. However, if we are going to have a real discussion then we need to talk about all of it and not make it a female issue or a child issue or man issue, but a people issue and look at all the factors contributing to it.

Quoting PamR:

She should be treated the same, in my opinion. 

logicgirl
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM

See that is part of it too and I am glad you said that Tall Mama. Domestic Violence is something we need serious discussion about, but the media and groups aren't doing it. You hit on two important parts. One, I am well aware of what has occurred with some NFL and college football players, and NBA players (as well as other sports). I am not justifying any of it but actually the number of athletes who get in trouble for DV are lower than regular society and most are pretty good guys who do a lot of charitable works. 

When they do something wrong, it is national news but when it comes to soccer, it barely makes a newspaper because of the lack of popularity of soccer. What should that have to do with the issue of DV? If someone has a problem with the NFL not doing enough, they should equally have a problem with the fact Hope Solo wasn't suspended for what she did.

I just hate how no one wants to talk about the real issues. Alcohol is another problem as well. When people drink, men and women, people tend to lose their tempers easier and want to fight. Where is that discussion as well? Thanks for your post!

Quoting 1TallMamaCA: In the states soccer is not "important", and female sport even less "important". There should be a fairness, but as a mother of four boys I can tell you the double standard is way higher for males than females. In almost every aspect.

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I agree.  Hope Solo has issues, deep issues.   I thought the Soccer league had suspended her when she and her DH/DF got into a physical altercation.    I think it isn't news because the majority of peopel are clueless or could careless about women's sports :-(

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Women beat men and its not even counted as dv when it is, a man pushes a woman coming after him and he's a "woman beater"

Nfl is held at a higher standard because of the fact that most contracts have a "morality" clause(sp?) , most males contracts have them.

Quoting logicgirl:

See that is part of it too and I am glad you said that Tall Mama. Domestic Violence is something we need serious discussion about, but the media and groups aren't doing it. You hit on two important parts. One, I am well aware of what has occurred with some NFL and college football players, and NBA players (as well as other sports). I am not justifying any of it but actually the number of athletes who get in trouble for DV are lower than regular society and most are pretty good guys who do a lot of charitable works. 

When they do something wrong, it is national news but when it comes to soccer, it barely makes a newspaper because of the lack of popularity of soccer. What should that have to do with the issue of DV? If someone has a problem with the NFL not doing enough, they should equally have a problem with the fact Hope Solo wasn't suspended for what she did.

I just hate how no one wants to talk about the real issues. Alcohol is another problem as well. When people drink, men and women, people tend to lose their tempers easier and want to fight. Where is that discussion as well? Thanks for your post!

Quoting 1TallMamaCA: In the states soccer is not "important", and female sport even less "important".

There should be a fairness, but as a mother of four boys I can tell you the double standard is way higher for males than females. In almost every aspect.

olivejuice2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with pp. This story isn't making the news because 1. No one cares about soccer in the US, and 2. People care even less about women's soccer (women's sports in general).

There also is the view of general society that women aren't dangerous and can't/won't injure others. This is a patently false belief but that doesn't stop people from buying into it.
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
For quite a few- the media dictates their outrage.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)