• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh another missing jet

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:07 AM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this
AIrAsia flight has been missing for 6 hrs it appears bad weather was factor. No sign of jet or fate of passengers. This shit Is starting to get to me. I watch the news all the time do my 2 kids know about both Malaysia Air jets. We are all going on a long flight in May and my kids are scared to fly. I am not telling them about this one nor will I watch need in their presence. I do not want them scared to fly come May. I hate flying as it is 😞
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Any sort of aviation scare always gets to me because DH is an airline pilot himself.  Makes me paranoid lol

JaeMommy07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:25 AM
So so sad. And scary! My good friend has a long airplane journey ahead of her. Makes me nervous :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VooDooB
by The Corrupter on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM

AirAsia Indonesia flight carrying 162 people went missing Sunday after the pilot asked for permission to change course due to weather en route from Indonesia to Singapore, officials said.

Flight QZ8501 en route from Surabaya, Indonesia lost contact with air traffic control at around 7:24 a.m. local time, AirAsia said in a statement.

After hours of scouring the Java Sea for the plane, Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency told Reuters that the search had been suspended for the night. Tatang Zaenuddin of the National Search and Rescue agency told Reuters the search operation would resume at 6 a.m. Monday. NBC News was not immediately able to independently confirm the search had been halted.

Indonesia's acting director general of transportation said there had been no distress signal from the cockpit of the Airbus A320-200.

"We hope we can find the location of the plane as soon as possible, and we hope that God will give us guidance to find it," Djoko Murjatmodjo told reporters. "We don't dare to presume what has happened except that it has lost contact."

The flight had 155 passengers on board, including 16 children and one infant, and two pilots and five crew members, the airline said. Most on board were Indonesian though there were around six foreigners β€” including three South Koreans, a British national, a Singapore national and a Malaysian. A French national was part of the crew, according to AirAsia.

AirAsia said in a statement that the pilot β€” who has a total of 6,100 flying hours β€” had asked to change course because of weather.

Image:TRISNADI / AP
Relatives of the passengers of AirAsia flight QZ8501 comfort each other at Juanda International Airport in Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia, Sunday, Dec. 28, 2014. The AirAsia plane with 161 people on board lost contact with ground control on Sunday after taking off from a provincial city in Indonesia for Singapore, and search and rescue operations were underway.

"The aircraft was on the submitted flight plan route and was requesting deviation due to enroute weather before communication with the aircraft was lost," the airline said, adding that the missing plane last underwent maintenance on Nov. 16.

Forecasters told NBC News that "numerous showers and hail" littered the missing jet's flight path.

Airbus confirmed in a statement that the plane was delivered to AirAsia in October 2008 and that it had accumulated about 23,000 flight hours in some 13,600 flights.

Indonesia's Transport Minister Ignasius Jonan told reporters in Surabaya that search-and-rescue efforts now involved the Indonesian army, the national Search and Rescue Agency as well as Singapore and Malaysia, according to The Associated Press. The Search and Rescue Agency's operation chief, Maj. Gen. Tatang Zaenudin, said 200 rescuers had been deployed to the east side of Belitung island, the AP reported. Singapore's military confirmed to NBC News that it had deployed a C-130 plane to assist in search and rescue efforts.

Weeping and distraught relatives of passengers flocked to Singapore's Changi Airport, which set up an area to provide assistance to passengers' family. The country's prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong, said on Twitter that his "thoughts are with the passengers and their families."

Tony Fernandes, the head of AirAsia, said he was en route to Indonesia's city of Surabaya β€” where most of the passengers were from β€” and that his thoughts were with the passengers and crew.

The White House said that President Barack Obama was briefed on the disappearance of the flight and monitoring developments. The National Transportation Safety Board is also monitoring developments, but would need an invitation to assist in any investigation.

The loss of contact with the AirAsia flight comes nine months after the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, which vanished during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people aboard on March 8. It has never been found.

Malaysia Airlines sent a message of support amid the ongoing search for the AirAsia flight, saying in a Twitter message on Sunday that its "thoughts and prayers are with all family and friends of those on board."

β€” The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM

It's really scary and it's really weird that they can't find something that large considering the fact they are able to spot much smaller things, like people, from rather great distances. Flying was never one of my favorite transportation choice but this stuff happening just makes me go, yeah, if I'm going somewhere I'm driving. (not that driving is really that much safer...LOL)

Oliviasmom72
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM

This air route is known for really bad weather. This area also has thiousands of small islands. At this point they have no idea if it crashed on land or in the sea :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)