• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Brawls at the mall

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM
  • 100 Replies

With all of the mall fights, I think I'll start doing more shoping at Costco and Amazon.  Thank god i don't live in this area, this looks like it SUCKS!

Who's suprised, not me. They need to have a rule teens can't go in the mall with out their parents.  This is terrible. I hate public spaces more and more.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-ridge-mall-closes-after-incident-20141227-story.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/brawl-mall-teens-injured-multiple-fights-n275431

Chicago Ridge Mall was open Sunday after a fight in the food court prompted its evacuation and early closure Saturday night.

Police said Sunday they were still investigating but that no arrests had been made. Saturday night, Chicago Ridge Mayor Chuck Tokar said there were no reports of injuries and that no shots had been fired, despite initial indications to the contrary.

Around 6 p.m. Saturday, officers responded to a fight in the food court at the southwest suburban mall and while on the way, received a report of shots fired, prompting a "multi-jurisdictional response," according to a statement released by police.

The mall was "jam-packed" with people at the time and was set to close at 9 p.m., so management made the decision to close early, the mayor said Saturday.

"I certainly thank God that it didn't happen when the mall was at its peak leading up to Christmas," Tokar said.

Aziza Askar, 21, said Saturday that she was ordering food at the churro stand in the food court with her 19-year-old brother when she saw a group of people nearby starting to fight.

cComments
  • @JMurph22 So you don't like the word "riot." OK. And maybe technically, it wasn't a riot, I don't know. But what exactly would you call the almost never-heard of situation of an entire mall being closed by law enforcement, with probably 100+ stores, hundreds of...
    Terryf1055
    at 5:09 PM December 28, 2014
Add a comment See all comments

Two seconds later, Askar said, she heard three loud pops and felt her brother yanking her to the ground.

"It was the sound people make when they hit a tray on the table," said Askar, who lives with her family near the mall. "But then people started yelling 'They are shooting' … Everybody started panicking. Police officers started flooding in."

She said her three teenage sisters were also at the food court at the same time. The siblings, one of whom works at a store in the mall, ran out along with other people who were evacuating the mall.

"We honestly didn't know what was going on," Askar said during a phone interview. "It was pretty terrifying."

The mall is located near Ridgeland Avenue and 98th Street, at 444 Chicago Ridge Mall Drive.

by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QueenBarbie
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I haven't shopped at the malls here in years because all the gang activity.  

Most of the movie theaters have large gatherings of thugs too, so  we just don't go as much.   

diaperstodating
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I read this earlier on Yahoo.

MrsHMS
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I notice more people fix their home theaters so they don't have to deal with the thug elements. I expect home-school and more things that take us away from public places will start to thrive. I would be terrified if this were to erupt and I was walking around with my kids. What a bunch of losers.  There was anther brawl like this in Sacramento as well. Wth is going on?

Quoting QueenBarbie:

Most of the movie theaters have large gatherings of thugs too, so  we just don't go as much.   

SRUsarahSC
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM

This happened in the Pittsburgh area too. With all the footage, shouldnt be too hard to find and charge them.  Make the fine massive, I bet mommy and daddy start paying more attention to their kids activities.

QueenBarbie
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:42 PM

It is odd that there so many fights on the same day in the malls.  I wonder if there was a special hashtag going around or something.

Quoting MrsHMS:

I notice more people fix their home theaters so they don't have to deal with the thug elements. I expect home-school and more things that take us away from public places will start to thrive. I would be terrified if this were to erupt and I was walking around with my kids. What a bunch of losers.  There was anther brawl like this in Sacramento as well. Wth is going on?

Quoting QueenBarbie:

RandRMomma
by Maya on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting QueenBarbie:

You just don't like being around people with brown skin.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:58 PM
3 moms liked this

I live about thirty minutes outside of Detroit, and I have never had a problem with going to the movies late at night (I'm talking after 10pm), going out with friends to the bar, or going to the mall for that matter. I did read about a couple of brawls today. It's just idiots being idiots. I think it's stupid to isolate yourself from society because of shit like this. It doesn't happen often.  

MrsHMS
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Just idiots being idiots" you can imerse yourself around idiots. Do you. As for me and mine..NOPE

Quoting RandRMomma:

I live about thirty minutes outside of Detroit, and I have never had a problem with going to the movies late at night (I'm talking after 10pm), going out with friends to the bar, or going to the mall for that matter. I did read about a couple of brawls today. It's just idiots being idiots. I think it's stupid to isolate yourself from society because of shit like this. It doesn't happen often.  

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this

There is a utube video,    " Run, hide, fight" and it's a much watch for everyone. It teaches you how to make the best of it in a tough situation, to do your best and possibly survive.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this

You make no sense. 

I will not zip my kids and myself up in a bubble because there are assholes in the world. That's silly.

Quoting MrsHMS:

Just idiots being idiots" you can imerse yourself around idiots. Do you. As for me and mine..NOPE

Quoting RandRMomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)