Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cafemom Theorists...gotta "why" for this one?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:28 AM
  • 231 Replies

http://7online.com/news/exclusive-man-beaten-in-broad-daylight-in-bedford-park/454892/

Anyone wanna take a punch at WHY something like this happens? Seems to me, and plenty of others, that older white people (white looking, anyway) face an awful lot of dangerous discrimination while just minding their own business in broad daylight. Of course, younger white women seem to be experiencing an awful lot of this too but that's another taboo topic.

Curious, ain't it? Glad this man is OK physically.

EXCLUSIVE: Man beaten in broad daylight in Bronx neighborhood

Carolina Leid has the exclusive from Bedford Park.

William King has lived in his Bronx neighborhood for 40 years, and since 1974 he has felt safe - that is until Saturday afternoon when he was brutally beaten in broad daylight. The vicious encounter was caught on home surveillance camera.

"I got a cut above over my eyelid, and the side of my face is numb - I can't open my mouth that well and I had a lump the size of a baseball on the side of my head," says King.

The incident happened near the corner of Briggs Avenue and East 197th Street in Bedford Park - not in the wee hours of the morning, but at 2 in the afternoon on a beautiful, bright and busy day.

One man pounded the 67-year-old, while another acted as a lookout - both were left empty-handed.

"I believe it was a racial attack - they weren't trying to rob me, I had money on me and my wallet and all. They weren't trying to rob me," adds King.

King works as a facility maintenance clerk for a law firm, and teaches Sunday School at Our Lady of Refuge. His neighbors say the video is so hard to watch.

"I'm a believer in God, that he watches over me, but sometimes you have to watch out for the fools, and there are some fools in this neighborhood," says Diana Monroe.

"That's really sad - that's desperation in my opinion," says Elizabeth Sing.

King says that he believes the suspects are animals.

"They're not human - they're not human at all," he says.

If you have any tips on the suspect or the assault, police are urging the public to call Crime Stoppers at 1800 577 TIPS

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:44 AM
7 moms liked this

Not quite sure why race is a factor here but I know that's a hot topic with you. The elderly are targets-all elderly races. If you think old black men and women are being spared from this-you are delusional. Society-especially younger generations just don't have that same respect as they once used to. Here in America, we treat our elderly like crap. They are not revered and looked at as being wise but rather as being an easy target or a nuisance.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Really? White dudes are roaming the streets pummeling elderly black folk?

OMG Who knew?

Quoting LNLMommy:

Not quite sure why race is a factor here but I know that's a hot topic with you. The elderly are targets-all elderly races. If you think old black men and women are being spared from this-you are delusional. Society-especially younger generations just don't have that same respect as they once used to. Here in America, we treat our elderly like crap. They are not revered and looked at as being wise but rather as being an easy target or a nuisance.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

hmm point me to where I said that-that's right, I didn't say that so don't go adding or taking away from what I said. After years of this with you, I know you don't really care about the elderly, only about race though. Have a good new year though!

Quoting Radarma:

OMG Who knew?

Quoting LNLMommy:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

It is cultural.

QueenBarbie
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM
4 moms liked this

I am sure they are nice young men, and they didn't mean to beat the elderly gentlemen for no reason.  I am sure it was the man's fault.  *eyeroll*

RandRMomma
by Maya on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:03 PM
8 moms liked this
That went right over your head. Elderly people aren't targeted because of race, they're targeted because they're elderly. Of course you won't see that though. It hair has to be racial with you.

Quoting Radarma:

OMG Who knew?

Quoting LNLMommy:

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:03 PM
5 moms liked this
There are cowardly, violent individuals who target the perceived weakest among us. Elderly, women, children. Socioeconomic factors seem to be at play, as well. Not to say that middle class kids can't be assholes and we have all seen the affluenza cases recently, too. A violent society produces violent youth. :(
RandRMomma
by Maya on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this
No one said that.

You really shouldn't roll your eyes so much. My gramma says that they'll get stuck.

Quoting QueenBarbie:

I am sure they are nice young men, and they didn't mean to beat the elderly gentlemen for no reason.  I am sure it was the man's fault.  *eyeroll*

RandRMomma
by Maya on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:05 PM
7 moms liked this
No it's not. This has nothing to do with race or cultural. The racism exemplified by you and your ilk is disgusting. Yes, I'm talking about Dar and that Mattel doll too.

Quoting Billiejeens:

It is cultural.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:08 PM
3 moms liked this
Elderly people are targeted because they're elderly. No matter how much certain racists in this thread want to make it about race, it isn't. Elderly people are perceived as some of the weakest in society because of their age and that fact that they aren't as strong as they used to be. Punks of all races prey on the elderly. The only common factors amongst these punks is their socioeconomic status. Saying that it's cultural, and implying that there's some secret racist sentiment behind it is ludicrous.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)