Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The right to face your accuser...

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:02 PM
  • 9 Replies
Does the 6th Amendment's right to face your accuser apply to masked superheroes?
Would a criminal get a case dismissed if the superhero didn't show up due to fear of exposure?
Just curious...
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:13 PM
A super hero is typically not the "accuser", they are the one saving the victim/accuser from the crime. And since most super heroes hold a vigilante-like status, I doubt they'd show up in court, regardless. :)
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:19 PM
That's my point. They usually stop the criminal or catch him/her in the act, which makes the hero the only witness (if there isn't a victim); therefore, as the only witness to the crime they would be required to appear in court... Wouldn't they? Otherwise the criminal would go free.

Quoting Luvnlogic: A super hero is typically not the "accuser", they are the one saving the victim/accuser from the crime. And since most super heroes hold a vigilante-like status, I doubt they'd show up in court, regardless. :)
Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:43 PM
There could be other witnesses...but I guess the hero would be called to testify. Maybe they get to submit an affidavit. Hmm...not sure. Someone should fan fiction this scenario. :)

Quoting jean_marie1987: That's my point. They usually stop the criminal or catch him/her in the act, which makes the hero the only witness (if there isn't a victim); therefore, as the only witness to the crime they would be required to appear in court... Wouldn't they? Otherwise the criminal would go free.

Quoting Luvnlogic: A super hero is typically not the "accuser", they are the one saving the victim/accuser from the crime. And since most super heroes hold a vigilante-like status, I doubt they'd show up in court, regardless. :)
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol... Definitely fan fiction... The things that cross my mind sometimes... Lol

Quoting Luvnlogic: There could be other witnesses...but I guess the hero would be called to testify. Maybe they get to submit an affidavit. Hmm...not sure. Someone should fan fiction this scenario. :)

Quoting jean_marie1987: That's my point. They usually stop the criminal or catch him/her in the act, which makes the hero the only witness (if there isn't a victim); therefore, as the only witness to the crime they would be required to appear in court... Wouldn't they? Otherwise the criminal would go free.

Missus_Mom
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL at the process server delivering a subpoena to Batman in the Batcave.  LOL

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Do you think he'd show?

Quoting Missus_Mom:

PerseyG
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Technically superheroes don't officially apprehend criminals. They, more often than not, simply entrap the villain until the cops show up and officially bust them.

I feel really nerdy right now.
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
From what I've seen, the hero apprehends by catching the criminal in the act and tying him/her up until the cop gets there. In that case, the cop just sees a tied up alleged criminal who was caught in the act of wrongdoing by a hero. The criminal could just say it was someone else or that there's no proof other than the word of a superhero who probably won't show up to the court hearing anyway...

Quoting PerseyG: Technically superheroes don't officially apprehend criminals. They, more often than not, simply entrap the villain until the cops show up and officially bust them.

I feel really nerdy right now.
Missus_Mom
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

If Alfred reminded him, and if Catwoman was the court reporter. ;)

Quoting jean_marie1987: Do you think he'd show?
Quoting Missus_Mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)