Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you working OVER 40 hours a week SALARY (not hourly, not paid overtime -

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:17 PM
  • 36 Replies

For those of you with jobs where you're 1.) on salary, and not paid hourly, and 2.) work more than 40 hours a week : 

Do you work more than 40 hours because

1.) It's needed simply to get the work that is assigned to you, done on time

2.) It's expected if you want to get ahead, get a raise keep your job etc?

How do you decide HOW MUCH extra time to put in?   Are you 'self driven' or do your bosses, team leaders or co-workers hint, suggest or push you to work more hours?

My job is usually salaried and there can be a LOT of extra hours.   We're not told we have to put in extra time, generally, we just do it.   We assume we need to do it.   Either because a deadline is looming, someone else needs us to do something so they can do their work, or because if we don't do it they'll can us and get someone who will. 

I am posting because I've never even thought about it being a choice.  I just put in a lot of extra time because it seemed like it was expected and needed.

I just read an article castigating people who put in extra time.   It kind of shocked me as it made it sound like a lot of other jobs are very, very unlike mine.

One thing it said was don't go into a new job and 'Be the Golden Child'.  In other words 'don't give them the impression you're willing to stay late or do extra work'.   Because that is being a 'smartass'.

I was like...WHAT?   We get paid well, so a lot is expected of us.  And no, in fact, I don't think staying late when necessary is 'being the 'Golden Child''.  

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissyboogs
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:20 PM
I don't consistently work over 40 hours. But, when I do, it's because I have to. Some weeks, I'm able to get the work done and leave. There's no point in me staying over just to try to look good. Other weeks, there's a lot more work, and I have to stay over to meet my deadlines.
Carpy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I work about sixty hours a week but I run the business.
yourspecialkid
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I own my own business and I don't remember the last time I worked a 40 hour week.  I do it out of necessity.

Before I married and was in banking I often worked more than 40 hours..on salary..I did it because I was building my career.  Those that put in the time went farther.

My dh routinely works 50 hour weeks...he is military, doesn't get overtime and he does it because the mission requires it.

DSamuels
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

There are times my hubby puts in more than 40 hours.

When they have to work weekends or when another supervisor is on vacation. There are 3 of them and they are open 24 hours. They have to work 12 hour days when one of them takes vacation time.

Della529
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Bump for later.

I am sleepy, lol.

quickbooksworm
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:36 PM
I completely agree with you. I work what I need to get my job done. Sometimes I will come in on a weekend for certain things because it's quieter. I want to get everything done and I want to do my job well. I'm never taken advantage of by my boss.
pvtjokerus
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:45 PM

Working no less than 50 a week ............................

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:46 PM
I'm a teacher, so I work more than 40 hours a week to get the work done and because it's expected.

As far as the article you read, what did it say of teachers? I don't think anyone (to use an indefinite pronoun) could get everything done within the time constraints of a forty-hour work-week...
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM

I am retired but my hub's has worked > than 40 hours a week for the last 38 years. His career has only benefited from hard work and dedication.

However, because he was working so much, I always chose PT work (nursing so it was doable) because someone needed to run the home.

KimmyShaw
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:39 PM

What bull. 

I'm in IT so I often have to work overtime. I'm also government employee so it has to be approved before hand (budget reasons) and we have to get comp time back for anytime over. With my position it's mission critical so it's needs to be done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)