Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My grandson says its not even brave to be a sniper

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:16 AM
  • 385 Replies

They stay hidden and the real heros are down in the mess.

Thoughts?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cntrdmom
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:18 AM
10 moms liked this
I think your grandson should do more research on what t is to be a sniper.
survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Quoting cntrdmom: I think your grandson should do more research on what t is to be a sniper.

Educate us...

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Canadiana
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:27 AM
It's called google. http://science.howstuffworks.com/sniper.htm

And I doubt anyone who isn't a sniper really has any idea what it's like.

Also how do you measure bravery? It's very personal and highly subjective. Your grandson is just oversimplifying like most children do.
survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Canadiana: It's called google. http://science.howstuffworks.com/sniper.htm And I doubt anyone who isn't a sniper really has any idea what it's like. Also how do you measure bravery? It's very personal and highly subjective. Your grandson is just oversimplifying like most children do.

This article indicates the level of skill necessary for the job, no one saying snipers are unskilled, they are highly skilled and have nerves of steel however they are trained to hide and kill.  Not what is generally held as admirable...

I am unsure I want him to think killing in such a way is admirable...

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't know enough about being a sniper to educate you or educate your grandson.
But your grandson is probably young, doesn't understand the details or what someone like Chris Kyle actually did.
Would you let him see Amercian Sniper?
cntrdmom
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:40 AM
14 moms liked this
Snipers have to be able to get in undetected, complete a mission, and get out. Often without support or cover fire. Sometimes they lay for days waiting for the go ahead. Again, with little to no support. So they're out there without any help should they be discovered and they eliminate very dangerous, high value targets. Once the enemy knows you have a sniper, that sniper is the prime target because he is the most dangerous one.
That's not even scratching the surface. So it sounds like your grandson just doesn't understand the role and details of a sniper. Otherwise he probably wouldn't say they're not real heroes.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting cntrdmom: I think your grandson should do more research on what t is to be a sniper.

Educate us...

QueenBarbie
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:40 AM
9 moms liked this

Sounds like your grandson is Micheal Moore.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting billsfan1104: I don't know enough about being a sniper to educate you or educate your grandson. But your grandson is probably young, doesn't understand the details or what someone like Chris Kyle actually did. Would you let him see Amercian Sniper?

No I probably wont, yet anyhow, I am highly dissappointed at what I see my fellow Americans saying after having seen the film :(

Do you think snipers are glorious or a necessary evil?

I (maybe obviously) think they are a necessary evil.  I am actually pretty ashamed of the way we war these days, with torture and murder by contract as forerunners.  It may be needed but its awful.

ETA I dont actually think its ever needed scratch that. killing is part of war but I dont like the way we are doing it.

Momtoone07
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:43 AM
7 moms liked this
Agreed. And I dont have the time, or want, to educate her or her grandson. I guess fighter pilots are not heros, either, since they get to fly above the mess. Absurd.

Healthystart30
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this
The heroes wouldnt be able to do their jobs without the support system in the military. From food, gear and logistics. I think the word hero should be applied to a person on a case by case basis.
Are snipers automatically heroes? No but some of them could be.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)