Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why I Have No Respect For Your God

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:05 AM
  • 470 Replies
15 moms liked this

This is not necessarily religion specific, although I know it will resonate with some of you.  This isn't to bash or make fun of any particular group and that is not how I want this thread to go at all.  My purpose is to share my concerns, valid concerns, regarding the unquestioning worship of an entity that I find to be very much in need of questioning.  Please keep an open mind and heart about what I am saying. 

I have no respect for your God if:

Your God demands recognition and worship

Your God places men over women.

Your God tolerates violence and cruelty of any kind.

Your God creates someone just to tell them that they are wrong, a perverse aberration.

Your God makes us sexual creatures but chastises us for liking it.

Your God cares more about the unborn than the living.

Your God cares about faith and belief more than being a good person.

Your God denies entrance into heaven or worse, throws us into hell if we don't believe or aren't exposed to certain man written texts.....even if we live exemplary lives.

Your God doesn't emphasize the importance of empathy, compassion and giving of ourselves rather than self interest, disdain and each person for themselves.

Your God demands unquestioning obedience rather than encouraging our natural inclination to question, examine critically and seek. 

I'm sure I can think of others but am I wrong for not liking the God that so many vehementally, unquestioningly worship?

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM
8 moms liked this
God is a sinner.

One side of his mouth he's a jealous God outside the other jealousy is a sin.

He's such a floating contradiction.

numbr1wmn
by Lina on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:00 PM
6 moms liked this
JustCJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:05 PM
7 moms liked this

That's between you and that God is it not? 

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Its this unquestioning, I think mostly out of fear, that bothers me.

One of the first clues I had about the manmade origins of religion once I started questioning the faith I was raised in was that God was portrayed as something I saw as highly flawed and way too human like, even as I was being told that God was perfect.

For some God apparently needs recognition,  worship, constantly tests its creations, is obtuse, is judgmental of nonbelievers and forgiving of all things those who believe do including heinous acts, is apparentlly sex obsessed, is a micromanager, cannot control its anger and uses violence.....it goes on and on.

Seriously, if one is going to spend so much time worshipping something, at least let it be something that exemplifies everything positive, nothing negative, something that makes us strive to be peaceful, joyful, empathetic and compassionate, not an entity who divides us, judges us and makes us suffer, including the youngest among us, at will. 

If God is all loving, then God has done a really, really sucky job showing it.

Quoting -Celestial-: God is a sinner. One side of his mouth he's a jealous God outside the other jealousy is a sin. He's such a floating contradiction.

NonaScheib38
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think either said is "wrong" for believing what they want. It becomes a problem when you can't be respectful of other people's rights to believe what they want. 

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:11 PM
7 moms liked this

Not when that God is used to justify legislation that affects those who don't believe in that God or perhaps family members who are ostracized because of fellow family members' belief in that God or business owners that turn good people away because of that God....kwim?

Quoting JustCJ:

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:13 PM

I think my reply to JustCJ explains it.  If not, let me know. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

If you don't believe God is real why do you care?

SpiritFortress
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM

No, you're not wrong. I agree with you wholeheartedly. 

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never want to take away a person's right to believe what they want but that doesn't mean I don't have a right to question, even criticize those beliefs.  It doesn't have to be done disrespectfully....I don't think anything good is ever accomplished by that but can you understand where I am coming from?

Quoting NonaScheib38:

I don't think either said is "wrong" for believing what they want. It becomes a problem when you can't be respectful of other people's rights to believe what they want. 

JustCJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:18 PM
5 moms liked this

So you mean the "Christian God" to be specific. Gotchya.

Or maybe you mean like the Muslim Barber that refused to cut the lesbian's hair. 

Quoting idunno1234:

Not when that God is used to justify legislation that affects those who don't believe in that God or perhaps family members who are ostracized because of fellow family members' belief in that God or business owners that turn good people away because of that God....kwim?

Quoting JustCJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)