Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gun experts and collectors please help!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 7:59 PM
  • 48 Replies

I'm wondering about a Winchester 30-30 rifle with a date of 1894 (yes eighteen ninety four) on it.   That is the patent date.   I am not at all sure what the actual age of the rifle is.    Serial number 260487

It's not mine - I'm trying to put a value on it.   It is in absolutely perfect condition.  I am sure it would work.   

It was given to my friend about 1960.  

His friend gave it to him.  His friend was the original owner, and  probably had it for around  50 years.  So his friend either bought it or inherited it around 1910.

It was last used in 1967.  My friend passed away without making any arrangement for his collection, it's just been sitting (in a cabinet, no rust) for about 50 years.

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teri4lance
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:02 PM

i'll ask my husband about it when he comes home. like or quote this so it will be in my list.

teri4lance
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:04 PM

you can google it in the meantime. there are lots of different details you'll need to figure out.

lancet98
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Yes I am actually doing that as we...speak.

According to Winchester's serial number listing, it was made in 1901!

My gosh!   Isn't that awesome?

armywifey1983
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:19 PM

According to the Winchester website, model number 1894, serial number 260487 was manufactured between 1901 and 1902. You'll need to take the gun to a reputable arms appraiser such as a gun shop owner, someone at a gun show, etc to get an accurate appraisal.

nerdmom2twins
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:29 PM

If you have a local arms appraiser, or a gun and knife show coming up (they usually have a few there), then take it to be looked at.  Before you go, look up information on the gun and get a background of the model.  If they are knowledgeable, and can mention the details you found, and then some, then they are likely going to give you a very accurate estimate. 
  If those options aren't possible, SOME pawn shops may have someone on hand that can do it, but they are often going to appraise much lower than the real value, because they are considering profit.  The number they would give you would take that into consideration. However, if you have a local pawn that specializes in weapons, call ahead and see if they would be willing to give you an appraisal, even if you aren't considering selling.  
   The last option is to go to an antiques dealer, who may have a good working knowledge, or may have someone that can appraise it for you.  

nerdmom2twins
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:31 PM

No matter which option, though, familiarize yourself with the gun and it's history before you have someone look at it.

lancet98
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Can you tell me how to find the gun's history- I don't know what type of history you mean (history of the specific model  and its year of manufacture, who bought it when....).

I'v read the company's history of this model.

My husband wants to 'dry shoot' it to see if it works, but I always thought that was not good for a gun.

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Send me a pic of it and I can tell you tomorrow.

By that serial number, it was made in 1902.

I will looked it up in the blue book tomorrow.

Free People are not Equal.  Equal People are not Free.

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Won't likely hurt a centerfire, but is bad for a rim fire.  I would get a snap cap, though.

Quoting lancet98:

Can you tell me how to find the gun's history- I don't know what type of history you mean (history of the specific model  and its year of manufacture, who bought it when....).

My husband wants to 'dry shoot' it to see if it works, but I always thought that was not good for a gun.

Free People are not Equal.  Equal People are not Free.

armywifey1983
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Talk to your friend, and ask him to talk to the original gun owner if at all possible. You want to know the personal history of the gun; did it see any action, was it owned by a famous person, used in a famous battle, etc. The more history that can be attatched to the gun, the more valuable it can be.

Quoting lancet98:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)