Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well looky here......Michelle praises the American Sniper......

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:25 PM
  • 62 Replies

Michelle Obama Praises "Complex, Emotional" American Sniper Movie Despite Controversy

Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/michelle-obama-praises-complex-emotional-american-sniper-movie-2015301#ixzz3QQ9FjcKg
Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

Michelle Obama spoke about the Bradley Cooper film American Sniper

Win McNamee/Getty Images; Leah Puttkammer/FilmMagic

American Sniper just got the seal of approval from the country's First Lady. Michelle Obama praised the controversial box office smash at an event in Washington, D.C. on Friday, Jan. 30. 

President Obama's wife addressed a crowd that included star Bradley Cooper as a part of the launch of the 6 Certified program at National Geographic Society. Michelle, 51, focused her speech on veterans and how they're portrayed in entertainment and media, specifically bringing attention to American Sniper. 

PHOTOS: Michelle Obama's Style

"Today, I’m calling on all of you and folks across the entertainment industry to change the conversation about our veterans and military families," she began. "Give us the full story... I’m not saying that you should tell these stories just because it’s the nice thing to do or the right thing to do. You should do it because these are good stories, period. They make for tremendous TV and movies that people want to see. So these stories are good for business as well."

"Just look at the latest box office numbers," Michelle continued. "The number-one movie in America right now is a complex, emotional depiction of a veteran and his family. And I had a chance to see American Sniper this week on that long flight and while I know there have been critics, I felt that, more often than not, this film touches on many of the emotions and experiences that I’ve heard firsthand from military families over these past few years."

PHOTOS: Obama Family Album

While it has brought in more than $264 million at the worldwide box office, American Sniper's debut was not without controversy. The film inspired criticism from those who took issue with the portrayal of Islamic people, as well as the acts of war committed by main character and famed military sniper Chris Kyle, who is played by Cooper. The film was celebrated by the Academy and is up for six Oscars at next month’s 2015 Academy Awards.

"Now, I’m not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t seen it, but this movie reflects those wrenching stories that I’ve heard -- the complex journeys that our men and women in uniform endure," Michelle said of the film, which was directed by Clint Eastwood. The complicated moral decisions they are tasked with every day. The stresses of balancing love of family with a love of country. And the challenges of transitioning back home to their next mission in life."

PHOTOS: Barack Obama and Michelle Obama's 20th Wedding Anniversary Album

"Here’s why a movie like this is important: See, the vast majority of Americans will never see these stories," FLOTUS added. "They will never grasp these issues on an emotional level without portrayals like this... Films and TV are often the best way we have to share those stories... You don’t have to center an entire movie or create a special episode on these issues. These folks can just be ordinary characters in the communities you create -- a neighbor who once saw combat, a teacher whose son is deployed. See, that’s the way we hope our country will welcome back our veterans -- not by setting them apart, but by fully integrating them into the fabric of our communities."

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

lalalallalalalalala.........I can hear the liberals' brains working over time on how to 'handle this new development.'  lolol

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

okay

sstripedmonkey
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:37 PM
I really dont understand the hoopla, i thought it was a wonderful movie made me ball my eyes out lol.
PerseyG
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:45 PM
5 moms liked this
IT'S A MOVIE WITH BRADLEY "PHIL FROM HANGOVER" COOPER.

Are people not allowed to hate or like a fucking movie now???

Bitches be cray cray.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:03 PM

It's a shame she took this movie as an actual account.  It's Hollywood, any one who thinks any given movie is an actualy factual account, well.....

Considering her platform surrounds the military, her remarks do not surprise me.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this
My first thought, wow she looks great for 51.
BalderdashMom
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:18 PM
4 moms liked this

Heaven forbid the woman never have an opinion on anything deemed controversial. Regardless of her opinions there will always be some who disagree. 

canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Putting aside the controversy of the actual person (Kyle something?), it seems like this movie would show a slice of what that life is really like for service men and women. Much like Saving Private Ryan, showed the horrific reality of landing on the beaches of Normandy.

She's not wrong that most people will never see, hear, experience these stories. Movies like this are the only way that many people have of having even an idea of what military members, and their families, go through.

I haven't seen the movie yet, though I probably will at some point. It just seems that people can't separate the controversy of Kyle whatshisname from the story. I'll go in with the same expectations I had when I saw Fury. I'll expect an entertaining story, with some truthful aspects, and some Hollywood dramatization.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lady_Facetious
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this
It must suck to be you. You seem miserable, bitter, and narrow minded.
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:58 PM
3 moms liked this
It's almost like people are allowed to have complex opinions about things. Now show me the article where a conservative hated the movie and thought maybe Michael Moore had a point.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)