Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Foodstamps

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:14 AM
  • 12 Replies
2 moms liked this
Ok. So I'm having a little bit of a rough time financially. I've gotten foodstamps or we wouldn't be eating. I'm going to budget my fs and try to get only healthy foods. Problem is, my family was always the meat and potatoes kind of family and I don't know how to cook without filling that checklist(meat of any kind, a bunch of starch, and a little veggie).

The real issue: My grandpa has diabetes and likes his snack cakes(and starchy foods). His blood sugar is high through the day and bottoms out at night. I NEED to get him in a better eating habit, even if it means not letting him grocery shop with me. I'm going to try the cauliflower "mashed potatoes" and only have starch at 1-2 meals a week. What are some healthy recipes/foods I can get that aren't super expensive? Obviously I can't have things like tofu or something because he won't eat it. He's also allergic to shellfish and garlic. Any tips?

P. S. Sorry if this post is spastic, I've been sick and can't concentrate.
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaNurse199
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Instead of spaghetti noodles, make a spaghetti squash.

If you are trying to save money, I would also suggest going meat free 2-3 meals a week. Rice and Kidney beans with some cilantro is yummy. If you need to have meat in a meal, I buy the pre packaged turkey meat. Its usually at least $1 less a pound than beef and less fat. Buying a whole chicken, crock potting it and picking off every bit of meat you can will get my family of 5 at least 2-3 meals. I will take a couple cups of the cooked chicken and make chicken noodle soup, chicken gravy with veggies and put over biscuits or chicken pot pies. 

I know some of those suggestions aren't necessarily healthy, but try giving larger portions of veggies with each meal vs the starchy ones. Hope this helps. Good luck!

HAHuskey
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:42 AM
Thanks! It'll help a lot. There's tons of things to make with pulled chicken. I never thought of doing it like that. Lol doh!

Quoting MamaNurse199:

Instead of spaghetti noodles, make a spaghetti squash.

If you are trying to save money, I would also suggest going meat free 2-3 meals a week. Rice and Kidney beans with some cilantro is yummy. If you need to have meat in a meal, I buy the pre packaged turkey meat. Its usually at least $1 less a pound than beef and less fat. Buying a whole chicken, crock potting it and picking off every bit of meat you can will get my family of 5 at least 2-3 meals. I will take a couple cups of the cooked chicken and make chicken noodle soup, chicken gravy with veggies and put over biscuits or chicken pot pies. 

I know some of those suggestions aren't necessarily healthy, but try giving larger portions of veggies with each meal vs the starchy ones. Hope this helps. Good luck!

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

You should join the Frugalistas group they have some great tips for shopping healthy on a tight budget and many have great recipes to use. 

VooDooB
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Crockpot meals can be really inexpensive and can last for freezing. I'm mobile at my kids swim class so I can't link you up but The Crockpot Ladies website Facebook group seem to have a lot of meals that don't take a ton of ingredients.

Hope you get back on your feet soon!
IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Buy a whole chicken or turkey. Make roast chicken/turkey with veggies the first night- save the carrot peelings & ends, onion tops, celery bottoms- anything you usually just throw away plus any left over meat). The next day, take the carcass and veggies leavings and make stock. If you make a HUGE pot of stock, you can use some for soup that night and freeze the rest. You could also use a blend of white and wild rice in the soup.

Same thing with a bone-in ham. Cook the ham and eat it for dinner the first night with sweet potatoes (no brown sugar, but butter and honey) and green beans or whatever and then the next day, take that ham bone, some carrots, celery and onions and make stock. You can use that stock to make bean soup- which is very healthy.

Instead of using a meat and tomato sauce for pasta, you can use pesto instead. They have jars already made in the sauce aisle or you can make you own with basil, parsley, garlic, Parmesan and olive oil if you have a food processor.

Tuna cakes are another easy, cheap, healthy thing to make- especially if you bake them. They're like crab cakes or salmon cakes but use less espesive tuna instead. Serve that with some salad or veggies.

Never fry, cook from scratch if possible (processed foods have more calories, sugars, fats and salt) use butter and not margarine, go meat-less at least twice a week and use honey as a suagr substitute if you can.

Blessedtimez2
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:30 PM

if your family likes meat you can always add meat to a salad...like a chicken salad grilled chicken. taco salad

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Good Luck with that if your Grandpa is anything like my mother there will be no getting him into better eating habits. The only thing that worked to get my mother's under control and its NOT as controlled as she thought was she hates needles.. If she doesn't fix it she has to give herself shots. That is barely working as an incentive anymore. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:23 PM
There are a lot of vegetarian lentil soups that are filling and taste like they have meat. I have to say they are better than bean and bacon soup. Also wild rice soup tastes nice and starchy but is low for starch. For sides to fill out the meal you can always go with fried veggies (tempura cabbage, daikon, etc) and it will only include the sugar from the tempura which is less than a french fry or something. Every one likes fajitas which are low in starch and fat as long as you make them rightand don't need a big serving of meat to be tasty.
broboxer
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:16 PM
If you go to cookinglight.com, they have some really great recipes. Also foodnetwork.com
Cafe Steph
by on Feb. 5, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Hi!

If you haven't already, you should also post this on the Frugalistas group, too. The moms there can give you more tips and tricks to stretch your budget and foodstamps further. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)