Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your reasons for not vaccinating your kids?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:59 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hello, we're looking to hear moms' reasons why they did not vaccinate their kids. Did one of your kids have a bad reaction to a vaccine in the past? Or does your child suffer from a health issue that prevents him from getting vaccines? Did you hear or research something that made you realize your kids are better off without vaccines?  Please tell us your reasons and your story behind it, and your answers may appear in an upcoming post on The Stir. You can remain completely anonymous if you wish, or if you're comfortable sharing please also include the #/age of your kids, and your age and/or name. Thanks so much!

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Presley77
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Based on past articles in the stir I would expect any future articles would be biased or edited to make the pro and non side look a certain way.

tyrelsmom
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:09 PM
I stopped due to bad reactions. My oldest two are partially vaxed, and they'd be eligible for medical waivers for some vaccines. My 3 youngest are unvaxed.
PamR
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Quoting tyrelsmom: I stopped due to bad reactions. My oldest two are partially vaxed, and they'd be eligible for medical waivers for some vaccines. My 3 youngest are unvaxed.

What kind of reactions did they have?

tyrelsmom
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:58 PM
Both of them had extremely high fevers and major swelling from the dtap at 18 months. Their father had the same reaction to the same vaccine many years earlier.
Oldest had persistent diarrhea after MMR and meningitis vaccine at 15 months. No proof it was the vaccine, but highly coincidental if it wasn't. Second had a seizure after the same set... again no proof it was the cause... but it sure looked like it. Never had another seizure, even with the high fever he got at his next set of shots.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting tyrelsmom: I stopped due to bad reactions. My oldest two are partially vaxed, and they'd be eligible for medical waivers for some vaccines. My 3 youngest are unvaxed.

What kind of reactions did they have?

D-Town
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Which vaccines are you talking about? My kids have had all vaccines except Gardisil and Varicella. 

All my kids are old enough that they got the MMR as 3 separate vaccines rather than a combined. 

As for the 2 we didn't and won't get that has to do with the lack of long term studies for those 2 particular vaccines. There are NO long term studies on Gardisil and the first children to have gotten the Varicella vaccine are just now turning 18 so any long term effects still aren't known and won't be for a few years yet. I also have issues with how the vaccines were released. A vaccine is released and immediately is named "mandatory" in the vaccination schedule? Especially one that has no long term studies done? No thanks. I choose not to make my kids some pharmaceutical guinea pig. And it has already been shown that the Varicella vaccine does not provide a lifetime immunity. You have to get a booster. Right now they are saying 6 years but who knows when that will change after the long term studies are done. 

Most vaccines that we get in childhood require booster shots. Any vaccine that gets advertised as a "one shot for life" is probably lying. 

meriana
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Oldest had chronic croup until she out-grew it at age 5. The next child, son, dr. talked Dh into giving him the first set at about age 2-3. By the time Dh got him home, (a short drive) the child was really limp. Our normally hyper son just laid there and we spent the rest of the day dealing with a fever ranging between 104-105. Dh decided right then, never again. It was still another day or two before our son was his old self.

jellyphish
by on Feb. 5, 2015 at 2:25 AM
4 moms liked this
I choose other ways of keeping my kids healthy. Contrary to popular belief, the options are not limited to vaccines or disease. The third option, which we use, is 'healthy lifestyle.'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TLIF1281
by Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 2:25 AM
I stopped because after her 4 month shots she didn't act like herself so much that it scared me. That wasn't what sealed it. It only prompted me to put vaccinating on hold until I did research. It was the research that prompted me to stop. I question the schedule, the amount of vaccines, what is in them, what we are supporting with them (certain ingredients in the vaccines like foreign tissue as well as chemicals) I question what kind of long term harm I am doing to my child. I particularly question the effects of the aluminum in them as well as other deadly chemicals. I also question why children are required vaccinations, but not adults. I question why they are acting like our children ate carrying around these diseases from birth. I use to be huge on vaccinations and then I actually researched them. Then I thought maybe I will do select vaccines so I researched individual ones and found there was way too much uncertainty and it was more about proving someone wrong than actual facts. Added on to something most think is dumb and uniortant, my instincts.
gmavacs
by on Feb. 5, 2015 at 10:38 AM

I have about a hundred reasons, but I'm only responding to make the point none of them have to do with Jenny McCarthy, as most derogatory pro-vaccine articles insist is the main reasons parents have decided not to vaccinate.  

On that note, the fact that pro-vaxxers try to push their stance by belittling and name-calling should be a huge red flag that unfortunately goes over most' heads.  How about stating facts to make your argument, instead of jabs like "hippie dippy" "precious snowflakes" etc 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)