Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iceland Did Something Epically Clever With The Last McDonald’s Meal They Ever Sold

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:43 AM
  • 12 Replies

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/02/22/iceland-did-something-epically-clever-with-the-last-mcdonalds-meal-they-ever-sold/

Up there in the ranks of dinosaur bones and Renaissance art comes the star of our daily cabinet of curiosities (#AMH). And no, it’s not a petrified mummy or a two-headed anomaly, but rather, something more relevant and clever.

In a move that will likely one day see future generations looking back and gasping in horror, Iceland has taken its last McDonald’s meal ever sold and placed it on display at a bus hostel in Reykjavik.

Iceland joined the movement of countries saying ‘farewell‘ to the multi-national fast-food chain back in 2009, after low sales and expensive importing fees caused McD’s to pull out of business for good.

The final day that McDonald’s was open in Iceland was October 31, 2009, and on that day a man named Hjortur Smarason purchased a meal as a souvenir. Smarason had no intention of actually eating it, but wanted to hang onto it out of curiosity and because he saw it as a “piece of history.”

At its new home at the Bus Hostel in Reykjavik, the burger and fries sit on display in front of a webcam, where people all over the world can watch in morbid curiosity.

So far, the meal on display has lived up to its “franken-food” reputation, showing not the slightest sign of decomposition and indubitably further sealing the deal on Iceland`s departure from the mega-chain.

McDonald’s has been a hot topic among the CE community over the years, be sure to read more shocking facts about the franken-food chain in the links below.

I know other people had done this before, but this is still a good reminder why McDonald's is not food.

I am not sure other fast foods are any better though.

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimmyShaw
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:46 AM
I wonder what it smells like 😳
nb34
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Good question! Chemichals maybe?!

Quoting KimmyShaw: I wonder what it smells like 😳

mama2ameira
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:40 AM
Two guys bought a burger from McDonald's 20 years ago, saved it, then just recently opened it. It still looks good enough to eat 😖
nb34
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Ewww! I thought I had heard stories like this before. I am glad we don't eat that crap! Honestly, it should be illegal to sell something like that as food.

Quoting mama2ameira: Two guys bought a burger from McDonald's 20 years ago, saved it, then just recently opened it. It still looks good enough to eat 😖

SuckIt69
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Why doesn't fast food decay? Gross.
Snakecharmer76
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Sugars and other preservatives. Here's a good factual (and scientific) look at why this happens:

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/heres-why-mcdonalds-burgers-don-t-rot

Quoting SuckIt69: Why doesn't fast food decay? Gross.

SuckIt69
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:57 AM
Very good article! Thanks! I may do a science experiment with my kiddos on this one.

Quoting Snakecharmer76:

Sugars and other preservatives. Here's a good factual (and scientific) look at why this happens:

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/heres-why-mcdonalds-burgers-don-t-rot

Quoting SuckIt69: Why doesn't fast food decay? Gross.

mama2ameira
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:04 PM
I rarely, and I mean rarely eat fast food like that. I think I probably eat McDonald's 2 times a year. Ever since my past coworker told me they use mealy worms. yuck

Quoting nb34:

Ewww! I thought I had heard stories like this before. I am glad we don't eat that crap! Honestly, it should be illegal to sell something like that as food.

Quoting mama2ameira: Two guys bought a burger from McDonald's 20 years ago, saved it, then just recently opened it. It still looks good enough to eat 😖

Lady_Facetious
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Eeeww
DisabledVet
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM

They had to have treated in some way. McDonalds burgers get moldy. I know, a dog went through the neighbors trash, and I helped them clean up. There were 2 McDonalds burgers one half eaten the other untouched. They both had green mold on them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)