Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

O’Reilly Throws Epic Hissy Fit As Former Colleagues And Vets Line Up To Denounce Him

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:24 PM
  • 9 Replies

O’Reilly Throws Epic Hissy Fit As Former Colleagues And Vets Line Up To Denounce Him 

FEBRUARY 23, 2015 9:57 AM

The evidence is mounting that Bill O’Reilly lied about his coverage of the Falklands War, much like Brian Williams did of his time in Iraq. However, while Williams fell on his sword, O’Reilly is swinging his about while screaming: “You’ll never take me alive!”

On Friday, O’Reilly took to the airwaves to defend himself in a polemic high on vitriol and low on content. In a fine example of Fox “News” double-think, O’Reilly used the “Talking Points” segment of Friday’s “The O’Reilly Factor,” to claim the outing of his fabrications were “more proof that the American media is corrupt.”

O’Reilly went on the offensive against Mother Jones editor David Corn, lead author of the report against him, branding Corn an irresponsible “guttersnipe” and a “far-left zealot” who has attacked the network many times before.

According to Bill, those journalists exposing fraudulent reports are actually the corrupt ones.

The Mother Jones report called into question the accuracy of the Fox host’s “war zone” recollections. The report cites a sentencefrom O’Reilly’s 2001 book, The No Spin Zone, in which he wrote:

“You know that I am not easily shocked. I’ve reported on the ground in active war zones from El Salvador to the Falkland Islands…”

The author also cites a 2013 broadcast in which O’Reilly recounted a story of being in a “war zone in Argentina in the Falklands.”

During a 2009 interview, O’Reilly told a Hamptons TV station he was the only CBS journalist brave enough to cover a protest in Buenos Aires. He said:

“I was out there pretty much by myself because the other CBS news correspondents were hiding in the hotel.”

In these statements. O’Reilly clearly places himself in the Falklands at the time of the 1982 war between Britain and Argentina.

Well, turns out he wasn’t there. He was thousands of miles away in Buenos Aires with his CBS colleagues, reporting from the comfort of a hotel room.

So in Friday’s segment, O’Reilly attempted to back pedal:

“I never said I was on the Falkland Islands … as Corn purports … I said I covered the Falklands War … which I did.”

O’Reilly’s former colleagues at CBS were having none of the Fox host’s wild protestations.

Eric Engberg, who covered the conflict from Buenos Aires for CBS alongside O’Reilly in 1982, posted a lengthy message on Facebook questioning several of the statements made on the “O’Reilly Factor” on Friday night.

Engberg insists O’Reilly behaved unprofessionally and has accused him of lying about being the only reporter on the streets during a riot. He also claims O’Reilly was ordered out of Argentina by CBS bosses for being a “disruptive force.”

O’Reilly is also facing the ire of military veterans.

On Friday, the 400,000 member organization VoteVets.org issued a statement condemning O’Reilly for lying about his war zone experiences:

“NBC acted completely appropriately in taking Brian Williams off the air and looking into claims he’s made over the years. Fox News has to do the same thing. The issue, for me, isn’t that Fox has been caught off guard, and didn’t realize O’Reilly was telling possibly false tales. That I can accept. It’s what do they do about it now? That will tell us a lot about how seriously they take their news organization.

Men and women have fought, died, been wounded, and scarred by war. There are many journalists who actually were in the crossfire, who died, trying to bring the story to the American people. What Bill O’Reilly has done is steal their valor, and it is wrong. It makes it seem like anyone can head on over to a war zone. But honestly it is more insulting to the war reporters who never bragged about their war experience, but just kept their head down and did their job. Some of them died doing that job. In my mind, those reporters were heroes.”

O’Reilly is twisting in the wind with his pants down, and has only vitriol to fire back at his opponents. This should not be a conservative versus liberal issue; it is a right versus wrong issue. If it was right for Brian Williams to lose his seat for misrepresenting his past as a war zone reporter, then it is right for O’Reilly to face the same consequences. If the Fox host fails to honor this professional code of conduct, he has proven for us all that both he and Fox “News” deserve nothing more than our contempt.

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Pema_Jampa
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Bill O’Reilly Scandal Grows As 8th Former Colleague Calls His War Coverage Claims Absurd

bill o'reilly

Joe Strupp at Media Matters got yet another of Bill O’Reilly’s former colleagues from CBS News to talk about the Fox News host’s alleged “combat situation” coverage in Buenos Aires during the Falklands War, calling his description of his reporting “absurd.”

Even back then, O’Reilly’s colleagues thought he was “grandstanding”. From Media Matters:

Charles Krause, a CBS News correspondent from 1980 to 1983 who reported from Buenos Aires during the same period as O’Reilly, is the latest to contradict the Fox News host. In an interview with Media Matters, Krause called O’Reilly’s descriptions of his reporting “absurd.”

He also recalls O’Reilly being there for a short period of time and not having “any significant role in our coverage of the war.”
“I don’t recall him doing any major story that anybody remembers and he was there a very short time, then he was recalled, I don’t know why,” Krause said. “He wasn’t a team player and people thought he was grandstanding, basically.”

Yes, that sounds like our Bill O’Reilly. He has never been known as a team player by people inside the industry.

Krause joins the half a dozen journalists and personnel from CBS who were working with O’Reilly in Buenos Aires and who dispute his claims. O’Reilly has countered reality with two Fox personalities vouching for him and calling David Corn names, which says more about how Fox conducts itself and its standards than it does about reality.

This morning, Fox News issued a statement standing behind the embattled host.

O’Reilly wasn’t anywhere near the actual war, but he has tried to turn a protest a thousand plus miles away into a “combat situation” in order to justify repeatedly claiming to have reported from “on the ground” in a war zone. His colleagues who were there dispute this description.

Kraue told Media Matters that the reporters were not in any danger, “The only danger that we were in was we were staying at the Sheraton Hotel, which was this massive, modern tower overlooking the city. We were in no danger whatsoever.”

Also, in spite of O’Reilly’s bombastic descriptions of an injured cameraman — “I was in a situation one time, in a war zone in Argentina, in the Falklands, where my photographer got run down and then hit his head and was bleeding from the ear on the concrete. And the army was chasing us. I had to make a decision. And I dragged him off, you know, but at the same time, I’m looking around and trying to do my job, but I figure I had to get this guy out of there because that was more important” — Media Matters reports, “Krause also said he does not recall any CBS cameraman being injured and bleeding.”

Krause isn’t alone in this. Former CBS correspondent Eric Engberg, who was in Buenos Aires with O’Reilly, told CNN host Brian Stelter on Sunday, “It wasn’t a combat situation by any sense of the word that I know. There were no people killed. He said that he saw troops fire into the crowd. I never saw that, and I don’t know anybody who did, and I was there on the scene. What’s interesting is not only did I not hear any shots, I didn’t see any ambulances. I didn’t see any tanks. I didn’t see any armored cars. All of the things that you would have expected to see had people been shot.”

So no one else who was there covering the conflict from Buenos Aires can corroborate O’Reilly’s claims. In fact, they do the opposite.

Even if he had been involved in a violent protest, a protest is not “an active war zone.” A protest is not “on the ground” in an “active war zone.” This statement alone is evidence of O’Reilly’s mischaracterization of himself as a war correspondent who covered the Falklands War “on the ground” from “combat” situation and war zone.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:07 PM

I've read up a little more on this.  At first, I could sort of see O'Reilly's point about how journalists refer to conflicts they cover, and thought Corn might be splitting hairs.

Having read more, I think it becomes clear that O'Reilly let his ego get the better of him, and he's still doing it.

What a problem for Fox - I honestly cannot say what I think they might do.

Lady_Facetious
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
O'Reilly being an ass? No way!
MyMyOhMy
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 12:40 AM

There are still plenty of hot combat zones. He needs to hop on a plane and get to it so he can show us all. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 24, 2015 at 1:58 AM

LMAO....here is a big surprise hahahahaha

numbr1wmn
by Lina on Feb. 24, 2015 at 8:32 AM

I just posted this and he debunked this whole left wing media lie.

numbr1wmn
by Lina on Feb. 24, 2015 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
JustCJ
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 8:33 AM

I knew it was coming...Bill is a decent character.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

LMAO Thanks. They ignored that. Couldn't let the truth out. lmfao

Quoting JustCJ:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/20599788/Bill_OReilly_smacks_down_writer_for_Mother_Jones_for_defamation?last#last

AHAHAHAHA your story is !!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)