Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 weird things Americans are doing in the snow

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

10 weird things Americans are doing in the snow

Yeti tweet

A record-breaking 64.6 inches (164cm) of snow has been dumped on the US city of Boston during February.

And the unprecedented weather has led to unprecedented acts of human endeavour, although one or two very much ill-advised.

1. Leaping off three-storey buildings

A craze dubbed "Boston blizzard challenge" emerged on social media with daredevil residents leaping from dizzying heights.

Clips of half-naked people diving into "snow pools" were widely shared on social media.

Man jumps off building into snow

But the trend did not impress the city's Mayor Marty Walsh. "This isn't Loon Mountain, this is the city of Boston," he said.

"I'm asking people to stop their nonsense right now. These are adults jumping out windows.

"It's a foolish thing to do and you could kill yourself."

2. Building a cocktail bar and inviting the neighbours over

After three tough mornings shovelling out his front yard in Jamaica Plain, when the fourth snowstorm hit Chris Haynes decided to try something a little more inventive.

Taking a day off work, he hollowed out a cocktail lounge from the piles of snow - complete with colourful mood lighting - and invited friends and neighbours over to relax.

The bar came as a total surprise to his wife Kristy Nardone. "I came home from work and voila! There was a snow bar," she told the Boston Globe.

Snow bar

3. Dressing as a Yeti

Perhaps the iconic figure of this historic winter, the mystery of the Boston Yeti has captivated social media users - with sightings widely shared.

Yeti first picture

The Yeti has his own "official" Twitter account, with thousands of followers.

And yet despite his massive following, his true identity is - at time of writing - still a mystery.

Yeti at cinema

4. Building a tunnel and cycling through it

When cyclist Ari Goldberger discovered his favourite route blocked by a giant snowbank, he and his friend Shadron Davis decided to take matters into their own hands.

"The MBTA transport authority blocked access to the bike path when they ploughed the parking lot. We decided to do something about it!" he posted alongside this Youtube video.

Cycling through snow tunnel

The 40-foot tunnel quickly became a tourist attraction for the city's cyclists... until authorities intervened and demolished the roof, most likely for safety reasons.

snow tunnel

5. Renting an igloo on AirBnB

This romantic residence for two was advertised on AirBnB by Cambridge resident Pier - yours for just $10 (£7) a night.

"You can use the house bathroom and kitchen if you need," he kindly offered.

"Tarp and yoga mattress provided. You'll need to bring your sleeping bag."

However, the listing later disappeared, suggesting either (a) it was banned by AirBnB or (b) it melted.

6. Climbing the 'MIT Alps'

A pop-up winter sports Olympiad has sprung up on this giant mound of cleared snow at the campus of MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).

"They're calling it Mt. Cambridgemanjaro" said Reddit user ladallasbos, who posted pictures. Mt Simmons was another nickname doing the rounds on Twitter.

Snow mountain at MIT

7. Selling it

It began as a joke.

"We'll ship your friends, family and enemies fresh snow from Boston,"promises the website, with a tongue-in-cheek warning to customers that the cargo is "likely to melt" in transit.

But the scheme, set up by 27-year-old Kyle Waring, an enterprising resident of Manchester-by-the-Sea, quickly snowballed into something much bigger.

Bottle of snow

After word spread about his first sale - an empty water bottle filled with snow for about $20 - the orders began rolling in.

He claims to have received about 150 orders so far, shipping as far away as California and Florida. He told ABC News he is now focusing on bulkier deliveries starting at $89, that are specially packaged to maintain a cold temperature.

Friends and family think he's "extremely creative," Mr Waring told reporters. And indeed - the snow business has already inspired a follow-up for the Autumn -

8. Leaving creative notes for parking space 'thieves'

Bear with note

Shovelling out your car, day in day out, is a thankless task - and Boston residents police their parking spots with a fierce brand of justice.

Woe betide the cheeky motorist who nips into a freshly cleared out patch of road.

Some chose to dangle a carrot - offering friendly incentives such as these complimentary beers, below, spotted by Instagram user Waikikii.

Snow notes

But other citizens were not feeling so altruistic. Harsh justice was meted out to this driver who dared to "steal" a neighbour's carefully-tended parking place.

"This guy took my spot... so I put the snow back" said an anonymous Craigslist user who posted this revenge photo.

Car covered in snow

"I had a marker, and I spent a long time clearing out this spot," the furious resident explained.

"According to the Mayor, if you shovel out a spot it is yours for 48 hours after the snow stops. This guy didn't wait 24 hours so I put all the snow back."

9. Tunnelling out of your window

Is this an escape tunnel? Or a handy cave "extension" to your living room?

Either way, you have to hand it to snowbound resident Trey Hemmingsen, who tweeted this picture with the caption "I #WishIWasInBermuda because I'm stuck in over 7 feet of snow in #Boston!"

Tunnelling out of window

10. Playing golf

Well, this one guy did.

Playing golf on snow pile

Additional research by Will Higginbotham

Nerds Without Pants

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:24 PM
2 moms liked this
I love the guy who put the snow back after some ass took his spot lol.
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:53 PM
That was my fav too. That and the bar.

Quoting mattiehatter: I love the guy who put the snow back after some ass took his spot lol.
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

way to goI love that they are making the best of this !  They are having fun!

( I hate snow and winter. Why am I still here in MN?)

by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:31 PM
I liked that one too.
I guess I don't understand how some of the people of Boston are acting.
We didn't act like this in Buffalo when we had the 7-9ft of snow in November. I am sure there were some instances, but most of it was us coming together, like the bar people in the pictures. :)

Quoting mattiehatter: I love the guy who put the snow back after some ass took his spot lol.
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Damn it.  I want to see this in person.  Living in Florida SUCKS!

by Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:40 PM
My dad covered someone's car like that in 2003. In our condo complex, it was our designated spot by conract. Legally we could have had the car towed, but he completely covered the car. Lol, you wouldn't even guess that the car was under there.
by Scorpio on Feb. 28, 2015 at 12:07 AM

My favorite is the cocktail bar with the lights.

I grew up in western PA ( Bradenville and Latrobe) and we always had a lot of snow in the winter. In grade school, my friend and I would bet to see on who's birthday would bring the first snow. Her's was October 24, and mine was October 26. Usually, one of us won. I can remember walking to the bus stop and having to lift my leg really high to take the next step. If school cancelled, it was a full stop disaster.

We always had a white Christmas back then.

I also learned how to drive in the snow. I got my permit on my birthday, and of course, there was snow on the ground. Daddy paid an off duty  cop to give me driving lessons. There was a lot of snow and ice on the ground, but I still had to learn to drive in it.

While I'm glad I don't live there anymore, and even though the weather pattern has changed over those many years, they still get a lot more snow that we do here in NC, and I would love to trade that in a minute.

by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 12:51 AM
LOVE that snow bar. Totally copying it.
by on Feb. 28, 2015 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Another Boston-area snow-based photo.  This was created by autistic students and their teachers at the May Institute.  

by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Haha too funny.

I don't miss it. Nope nope nope.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)